Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Saw a couple of great movies recently (recommend a movie master thread)

100K views 882 replies 155 participants last post by  Captain Ron 
#1 ·
Watched the Departed the other day. WOW. I really think this had to be Jack Nicholsons best.
I was really shocked at how great DiCaprio was. He really is a great actor.
After seeing the Titanic, I kida wrote him off. Then he did Gangs of NY and I kinda liked his acting. But with The Departed, he out did himself.

Also watched The Illusionist with Ed Norton. Another top notch movie.
Really surprised me how great the movie was.
Jessica Biel is really a beautiful female.

#247 ·
hmm im a little late to this thread. im sure everything i list will be repeats :p

There Will Be Blood and No Country For Old Men were the two best movies I saw last year (and probably longer than that) hands down. SUPERB acting and just well rounded scorewise (or lack thereof to a dramatic effect in NCFOM) and cinematography, all great.

other movies ive loved in the past few years (in no order and only off the top of my head):

eternal sunshine of the spotless mind
departed
children of men
pan's labyrinth
mirror mask
gangs of NY
hard candy
life aquatic
royal tenenbaums
Darjeeling limited
garden state
little miss sunshine
lars and the real girl
science of sleep

too many more to think of off the top of my head :p

#248 ·
There Will Be Blood and No Country For Old Men were the two best movies I saw last year (and probably longer than that) hands down. SUPERB acting and just well rounded scorewise (or lack thereof to a dramatic effect in NCFOM) and cinematography, all great.
Yea, both of those were fantastic.

I also watched Charlie Wilsons War which was great.

But a movie I thought was outstanding and one of the best over the last year was "The Assination of Jessie James".

#253 ·
The Coen brothers are good filmmakers, imo. I haven't seen NCFOM but surely it's not violence for the sake of violence? I'd be surprised if they pulled a stunt like that..

But I recognize what you're saying, in the sense that I've seen plenty of films that are just pointless and that present violence the wrong way, for sure.

Alwin

#255 ·
The Coen brothers are good filmmakers, imo. I haven't seen NCFOM but surely it's not violence for the sake of violence? I'd be surprised if they pulled a stunt like that..
You're absolutely right. It was that one part of the movie that I felt was unnecessarily morbid and ruined the whole movie for me. It lacked closure big time, though ending it with Tommy Lee Jones' dialog was very effective.

You haven't seen it? You should have heeded the spoiler alert lol. You'll hate me for spoiling it for you when you actually watch it.

Another good one to watch with Tommy Lee Jones was "In the Valley of Elah". People complained that it demonized the US Troops in Iraq which is complete blarney. They showed nothing in that movie that doesn't have an analog in actual events over there.

#257 ·
Both TWBB and NCFOM had fantastic wayyyy above the bar acting, yet, the end of "No Country for Old Men" was just outright ridiculous and unnecessarily morbid. I really detest Hollywood's increasing level of comfort with depicting violence against women and children. We all know it happens in the world. Watching it in a film is hardly f*ing entertainment for me. There was just no point in killing that dude's wife. Oooooooo, you're so bad ass. You keep your word. Pshhh whatever.
*SPOILER*

aha! but that is driving home one of the major themes (if not THE major theme) of both the novel and the movie! This generation's (general) obsession with senseless violence in real life, the news, movies, video games etc. Tommy Lee Jones spends the entire film trying to make sense of the violence involved in his job now instead of trying to solve the crime. It just wasnt like this when he started as sheriff there many years ago.

The opening even has TLJ stating "The crime you see now, it's hard to even take its measure."

So it looks like their point really hit home with you :D

*End Spoiler*

#258 ·
It would have anyways without killing the dude's wife. It's not like the movie was short on senseless killing.

I understand the point trying to be made in the book, but with the unnecessary killing of his wife at the end (the point was already labored and beaten to death), I believe they partook in the very malady they sought to protest.

Yet, I agree. Great movie. Superb acting. Chilling suspense. I just am mortified at how Hollywood has shown more murder and violence against women and children in the name of "art" a la Pan's Labyrinth, NCFOM, etc. Still, I don't want to shove my personal beliefs and views on everyone else, but I just feel strongly that more reservation should be shown towards women and children in films and television.

Oh yeah...another great movie...Pan's Labyrinth.

#259 ·
My wife and I were on a documentary kick and saw a few really good ones.
King of Kong (about two Donkey Kong champions) was great, best of the three. Close second was Confessions of a Superhero (about four aspiring "actors" (and actress) in Hollywood who pose as superheros to make money). Close third was Darkon (people who live out role playing fantasy games with faux weaponry and armor)! The people are really interesting (to say the least)!

#269 ·
there were things about it that were good and things that weren't but i don't want to ruin it for you. Worth seeing? I'd say yes. Let us know what you think after you've seen it. It's similiar to his other stuff in some ways but different in others.

I saw "Get Smart" the other day and thought it was actually much funnier than i was expecting. Saw Indiana Jones too a couple weeks ago. It was good, but i'm sorry nothing beats "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

#274 ·
M night Shamalamaadsfasdfkjladas needs to stop making movies. The happening was horrible.

Wall-E was pretty damn good. Maybe I'm biased because I like Pixar movies, but it was a really good one.

Other good movies (most are older) I'll recommend are...

Wall Street
The Game
King of New York
Poolhall Junkies
American Beauty
Interstate 60
True Romance
Lucky # Slevin
Requiem for a Dream

etc, etc, etc,

#283 ·
I think Dark Knight was pretty much a given. :)

If you haven't seen it yet, you should be ashamed of yourself. I've seen it 3 times already and I don't know a single person who has seen it only once.

Talking teens won't be a problem with this movie. I happen to be one of them and this movie is made for their ADD tendencies. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.