<back   Jemsite > Off-topic & Polls > Off-topic / Miscellaneous

Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:42 AM

Saying goodbye to a family pet

So this is proving to be harder than I thought it would be so I need to get this off my chest. I have a 8 year old cat that a few years ago had some health complications. Our cat Samson (sam) developed kidney failure from a pet food recommended by the vets, the brand was Royal Canin. After contacting the company they agreed to pay for all expenses for vet care and treatment in hopes to prolong his life. I would say he's gotten a good three years out of the 25 grand that has been put into making him feel better. One treatment we have been giving him is the same steroid Lance Armstrong used, called EPO. After being prodded poked and syringed medications and fluids he seems to be losing more weight and getting ready to leave us. I didn't think it would be this hard to let him go, but he is a very special cat. Samson has NEVER bit, attacked or displayed any aggressive behaviour and always was in a good mood ready to play and cuddle. One thing I will never forget is when you put your hand near him he would playfully nudge it away, or in the winter he would sit on the heat register to stay warm. He was simply the best pet I have ever had and will ever have. This is hard and I really hope I am doing the right thing by getting him put down today. (12:41AM now)

He can never be replaced.

Sorry if the grammar is not correct I need sleep and I just wanted somewhere to express how I felt and maybe get some input.

Thanks guys!
Old 12-18-2012, 04:02 AM

Re: Saying goodbye to a family pet

Know how ya feel mate... our much loved cat died a few weeks back... he was only 5 and suffered a sudden blood clot. We were devastated. Pets can become real members of the family and suffering a loss like that can be hard to deal with... feel ya pain....all the best.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:15 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

That's tough, bud!
Pets are family members. If your cat is in pain, or just getting worse--your choice is the best one.
No need to have the furball suffer.
Just remember those great memories and time you had with him.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:28 AM

Thanks guys, I feel better sharing this. True... pets become family members which makes it much harder. I thought his story was quite interesting and I am thankful for prolonging his life and making him happy for a bit longer! Wish me luck in the vets office!
Old 12-18-2012, 04:35 AM
Banned

If you can't sleep, then now is the time to just lay with him.
Maybe you'll sleep, but at least he can share this night with you. Make the most of it!!!
Old 12-18-2012, 05:11 AM

Sorry to hear man. Our dogs are family members to us as I'm sure Samson is to you. It's real hard to lose them. My condolences to you.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:19 AM

sorry to hear this.. pets are just the best. Their love for us is so pure and beautiful! . Too bad they can't live forever.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:56 AM

Tearing up just reading your post. A prayer goes out to you and your family.

Samson will forever live in your heart.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:54 PM

Thanks for the support everyone I am very grateful. Being with him for awhile last night and today has made me realize that he would be better off going peacefully instead of putting him through this. I looked at some pictures of him and I'm starting to realize how happy he was and the good memories. I will post a picture for you all later possibly.

Thanks again
Old 12-18-2012, 01:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verus View Post
Thanks for the support everyone I am very grateful. Being with him for awhile last night and today has made me realize that he would be better off going peacefully instead of putting him through this. I looked at some pictures of him and I'm starting to realize how happy he was and the good memories. I will post a picture for you all later possibly.

Thanks again
That's good!
Sounds like you're made peace with the situation......bring on the pics!
Old 12-18-2012, 04:16 PM

Man I am going to be a mess when our dog passes away! My heart goes out to you man....I'll say a prayer. I think you should go get a new kitten the same day yours is put down. I've heard thats a great way to help get over the loss of a pet......
Old 12-18-2012, 05:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott 74 View Post
Man I am going to be a mess when our dog passes away! My heart goes out to you man....I'll say a prayer. I think you should go get a new kitten the same day yours is put down. I've heard thats a great way to help get over the loss of a pet......
Yes!
Not sure about getting one the same day--might be best to give a little breathing room.
But--heading to the shelter to rescue a kitten or cat is win-win for both.
It will also be part of Sam's legacy. He left the world so a kitten could be rescued--that's a really good way to look at it, and help with the grieving.

I'll be a total mess, too when either of my dogs go.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:45 PM

Reviews: 11

I had a dog named Jessica (Jessie) from birth until I was 13. She was a beagle, sort of a mutt though. She slept with me every night since I could sleep in a normal bed, down between my feet. She even had cancer when I was 11 and lived through it. I can still remember when I was 13, waking up one morning and me and my brother, who was also 13 at the time (were 11 months apart) and hearing that we had to say goodbye to her.

She was as much a family member as anyone else, and it was one of the hardest things I had ever had to do in my 13 year old little kid life. I sympathize with you. I can't imagine being the one who has to help the little animal out of its suffering...but it is the right thing to do.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:12 PM

Oh man i can't even think of how I would feel when its time to put my dog Cookie down.

Shes my first pet, and she turned 10 this year and shes starting to have a few health problems (Ear infections, Eye Infections etc)

I know its been a few months since you first posted this thread, so hopefully you're doing better now.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:20 PM

Totally feel this pain,its awful....hang in there mate.
The loss of pets is usually the only thing that brings me to my knees,the bond is unexplainable at times.

Show/Hide Posting Rules