Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Shippng to London....advice?

5K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  IbanezDaemon 
#1 ·
Hi all,

It looks like my purple ice swirl will be headed east over the pond to "Merry Ole'".

The buyer and I have decided it best to send the guitar dis-assembled. Of course I'll be giving it the best packing possible.

My questions center more around the UK's import or VAT taxes. The buyer is a great guy that, if I can, I would like to save as much as possible on these taxes while keeping both of our interests protected. So here goes:

- Would it be more efficient to send the entire guitar in one box- fully insured, or two boxes (neck and body separate) both insured for half the amount?

- Does UK customs hold an instrument for any prolonged period of time in a questionable environment?

- is there anything you can think of that will help both of us remain protected, the guitar remain exactly as I ship it, and to save the buyer some coin in the process?

#2 ·
- Would it be more efficient to send the entire guitar in one box- fully insured, or two boxes (neck and body separate) both insured for half the amount?

No - duty and taxes will still be levied on the full cost anyway and the thresholds are low enough that things like Blurays get picked up let alone guitars.

- Does UK customs hold an instrument for any prolonged period of time in a questionable environment?

No, clearance is usually quick and if you use a courier (eg Fedex) they will clear it through themselves.

- is there anything you can think of that will help both of us remain protected, the guitar remain exactly as I ship it, and to save the buyer some coin in the process?

No, the only way to get round the duty/tax question is to under declare which is of course a) illegal and b) will mean you have to under insure and so risk loss.

#3 ·
Thanks Dave, I certainly want to do this above board. I've just never shipped anything other than small parts to the UK before. I have shipped a couple of guitars to AU and never had a problem, but I've heard before that AU and UK have very little in common when it comes to taxes and procedures.

#8 ·
The vat rate and handling charges are criminal over here and that's why I have no qualms when getting things delivered from the US at a lowered package value.
The bastards even charge vat on the shipping.
you are not alone, here in indonesia :

musical instrument , guitar : import duty : 10%
luxury goods tax ( yeah... electric guitar is luxury goods ) : 20%
VAT : 10 %
Income tax : 7.5% ( personal) 2.5% ( company).

#13 ·
Are you shipping that guitar minus a case Ryc??

I've shipped multi thousand $$$ J Customs into the UK
from the States and had no choice but to declare lower
value on them i.e $400 on a $3000 J Custom. Never had
a problem. I still had to pay approx £80 on duties but there
was no way I was gonna pay the ridiculous 23.5% import duty.

I obviously did this at my own risk. If you and the seller are in agreement
I'd ship the neck separate, declare say $50, ship the rest as a body/parts
for $100.

#14 ·
I am shipping minus the case. The buyer has looked at this thread. I think it scared the hell out of him (and rightfully so). He's been working in OZ for a while now. Were thinking we might ship it there instead...... I haven't heard back from him yet to confirm that.

#18 ·
Why would a seller ship a guitar to UK and not declare full value (to benefit the buyer's cost). Something happens to the guitar, he makes a claim on paypal, and the seller is screwed. Why even bother with such a risk? Seems to me, if an individual in the UK wants to save a buck or two on import duties he should be willing to go paypal gift.

#20 ·
Ryc, I shipped two bodies, a neck and a few pickups to the UK recently. Used a regular guitar box but cut it down so the dimensions were smaller. Shipped an entire guitar to AUS once that way as well.

I generally ship Priority Mail International to the UK but insurance isn't even available. Read this:

http://pe.usps.com/text/imm/fh_014.htm

So if using that I'd declare a low value but the seller would have to assume all risk.

Or use GXG with insurance, but that's crazy expensive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.