<back   Jemsite > Off-topic & Polls > Off-topic / Miscellaneous

Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

Old 09-29-2005, 04:17 PM

Some help needed :(

So yes, I really need some help, and was wondering if anyone here has any experience of legal matters partaining to contract law and or music etc...

Basically the old band i was associated with not so long ago is trying to claim that a song entitled "Instrumental(unnamed)" on a contract refers to a song that had a widely known working title. Basically they are saying they own the copyright even though i see no physical evidence linking the two

So if there's anyone that can help? I am not exactly stocked up with money at the moment being a student again, so any pointers (preferably by email correspondance: james@mcilroy.net) would be cool.

This really sucks....

James
Old 09-29-2005, 05:38 PM
(a)

Re: Some help needed :(

you should contact an entertainment attorney. there are plenty of them out there. your x band idiots will have to prove their side. if there is no proof....well........
Old 09-30-2005, 08:31 AM

The last thing you should do is see a solicitor. Go to a law centre or advisory agency, solicitors charge a fair bit, so they are your last resort.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:34 AM

Now all the nasty stuff begins , best of luck to James. Hope every turns out ok for you.

Regards

André
Old 09-30-2005, 09:39 AM

yeah, it is really childish as well. You'd think after branding me "replaceable" that they wouldn't need anything i'd written as I was obviously inferior to what they wanted or whatever. Still, I have my pride and I fully intend to fight for it and make sure that I keep control of what I've written.

In any case I have contacted the UK Musicians Union of which I am a member, and so they could be able to help me. So far they say they probably can, which is a good start.

And I just don't get why people have to try and take advantage instead of being fair in the first place which would cost less (less legal fees etc). I just don't get it
Old 09-30-2005, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Dying Trees
yeah, it is really childish as well. You'd think after branding me "replaceable" that they wouldn't need anything i'd written as I was obviously inferior to what they wanted or whatever. Still, I have my pride and I fully intend to fight for it and make sure that I keep control of what I've written.

In any case I have contacted the UK Musicians Union of which I am a member, and so they could be able to help me. So far they say they probably can, which is a good start.

And I just don't get why people have to try and take advantage instead of being fair in the first place which would cost less (less legal fees etc). I just don't get it
By the way James, what's the name of the new project you're working on. I read some thing on blabbermouth that it is called PREY

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...wsitemID=41969

Regards

André
Old 09-30-2005, 10:52 AM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Dying Trees
How else would lawyers get their money?

I think if someone decided to try and post a claim on my music, I'd be ready to make sure they didn't have the means to convey that music ever again.

It's very hard to pick up your teeth with broken fingers

Best wishes man,
Bamm
Old 09-30-2005, 01:26 PM

Were you considering leaving while you were writing material with the band?

Are the band aware that you are considering some form of legal action?
Old 09-30-2005, 01:43 PM
(a)

i'm not an attorney but the good thing is that you were once in the band and playing with the band and on tour with the band; not some money - hungry fan saying I WROTE THOSE SONGS! i want royalties!

i'm sure you will be able to dig up proof of other things such as maybe riffs on tape or hand written lyrics by the singer with chord changes...i'm just thinking out loud. the biggest thing is that you were once in the band and the guitar work is usually written by the guitarist, who is in the band. does your name appear as written-by in any of the liner notes of any other song or anything? if so...then what makes anyone think you wouldn't have input on this one tune?

best of luck dude. people are jackasses....you know that! you deserve more and it's best you are out of that situation anyway. people saying things like you're replaceable is BS! whether you are or not, it shows what kind of a ______they are for saying that. i hope you grind the hell out of them in court. if you have any other material that they may have on tape as ideas i suggest you record it, even scratch trax, and copyright them asap!

steve
Old 09-30-2005, 01:54 PM

Ouch, sorry to hear that, hope it works out for you though.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:19 AM

That sucks bro, Enquire about Legal funding as your a student, not sure if you'll get it but should be able to get at least a free consultation.

Sounds a simple case to be honest, and as such get decent advice and help

Rob

Show/Hide Posting Rules