<back   Jemsite > Off-topic & Polls > Off-topic / Miscellaneous

Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:12 AM
(a)

Reviews: 18

Re: Spelling and Grammar (dun dun dunnnnnn!!!)

I've chosen to not make comments to other folks anymore about their grammatical mistakes. Although things like "sen" instead of "seen" never really bothered me that much, people posting messages like they're texting someone on a cell phone or an im window does simply because there's no reason why they shouldn't take the time to post something that is easily understood by the rest of us.

When Glen addressed this issue, I simply stopped correcting people because:
1) I didn't want to go on vacation from Jemsite
2) I realized there were better things I could spend my time writing about

I do agree with most people (especially Robb and Algiman) about the exceptions to the rule. While I'm not a native English speaker (I was born and raised in Peru), I was adamant enough to learn English when I came to the States and use it properly in order to communicate with others and be able to be easily understood by anyone.

Those are my thoughts anyway...

Happy Friday!!

Jimmy
Old 01-23-2009, 09:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
weve been here before..
I believe there was a post from Glen disbanding the grammer police or something.

the grammer gestapo
ah i can remember that.infractions were going to be given out if anyone gave someone a hard time about there grammar.theres a big difference between someone whos lazy and someone who has health problems.yeah that mobile phone style texting is terrible,c ya l8r
Old 01-23-2009, 09:35 AM

Reviews: 12
Red face

Well anytime I can be corrected it's an empowering moment for me to take that knowledge and grow a little. I'm fairly educated, and still the least educated in my family, so being the "black sheep/dumb one" I have tried hard to better myself and live up to the level my family has carved out. Being erudite is not a bad thing

How one comes off looking is very important! This was something I stressed greatly to my wife when we first met, who had grammar/punctuation/spelling skills that were lacking. I used to drive her nuts, but today she really sees how people with less understanding of the language and how it works can be detrimental not only in everyday life but especially in business as well.

To use the excuse "well it's just a guitar forum and it doesn't matter", shows where and how one wants to be viewed in life. If you want to be in the dark, be in the dark alone, when you come out in the light to converse with others in the sunlit world have a modicum of respect for those of us who choose to sift through your poorly written drivel!!

Some of you have good, strong, healthy minds, why you would want to have less knowledge, or come off looking that way with an "I don't care attitude is beyond me. When I correct someone it's usually when they blunder on a grand scale. Not the odd forgetful moment. However, for my part, I am sorry for pointing out mistakes that will ultimately make you a more positively viewed individual...
Old 01-23-2009, 09:51 AM
(a)

I think it's time to sticky this one:

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f13/co...hlight=grammar
Old 01-23-2009, 11:09 AM

I thought this was going to be a thread about Grampa buying his wife a dictionary
Old 01-24-2009, 11:57 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy7jem View Post
I thought this was going to be a thread about Grampa buying his wife a dictionary
First of all to be proper, it's Grandfather, and you forgot the period.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:46 AM
(a)

Reviews: 25

Usually when I respond to a thread, I have all this info in my head that comes out much faster then I can type, and I usually end up posting with many mistakes and then hit edit....

Which comes to my point PREVIEW POST what an amazing idea.......
Old 01-25-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
weve been here before..
I believe there was a post from Glen disbanding the grammer police or something.

the grammer gestapo
OH THE IRONY!

Old 01-26-2009, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylay00 View Post
OH THE IRONY!

Indeed.

I try not to comment, but there's something very annoying about websp33kz.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:15 PM

Reviews: 34

I never ever correct.

Sorry, that should read: I am never ever correct. Anyone who thinks that their grammar and syntax are perfect should read "Eats, Shoots and Leaves".

Seriously though folks, I can't be bothered to correct other people of a couple of reasons:

1) Unless someone starts a thread entitled "please help me with my grammar" I actually think it is pretty patronising and condesending to point out their mistakes. Many people on this forum don't have English as a first language etc. etc., although it goes without saying that if something is completely beyond comprehension then asking for some clarification is always appropriate.

2) I have proof read for people, and have had my work proof read on many occasions. I personally find it slightly uncomfortable even when it is necessary. When it isn't necessary it is just annoying. My wife corrects my grammar in our e-mail correspondance occasionally, which is one of our ongoing jokes; I don't exactly thank her for it, even if I do see the funny side.

3) Grammar evolves out of and should reflect the common usage of language; therefore different rules are appropriate for different applications. For example you would use "Regards" to end an e-mail rather than "Yours sincerely". I always think of internet forums as threads of conversation rather than essays and try to read them as such. I honestly couldn't imagine talking to a virtual stranger in a pub (no pun intended) at a gig or wherever and stopping them to correct their grammar. Apart from being incredibly rude it would be tantamount to suicide in most English pubs!!!!!
Old 01-26-2009, 02:42 PM
(a)

Quote:
OH THE IRONY!

This thread is chock full of it!
Old 01-26-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcoumbe View Post
I never ever correct.

Sorry, that should read: I am never ever correct. Anyone who thinks that their grammar and syntax are perfect should read "Eats, Shoots and Leaves".

Seriously though folks, I can't be bothered to correct other people of a couple of reasons:

1) Unless someone starts a thread entitled "please help me with my grammar" I actually think it is pretty patronising and condesending to point out their mistakes. Many people on this forum don't have English as a first language etc. etc., although it goes without saying that if something is completely beyond comprehension then asking for some clarification is always appropriate.

2) I have proof read for people, and have had my work proof read on many occasions. I personally find it slightly uncomfortable even when it is necessary. When it isn't necessary it is just annoying. My wife corrects my grammar in our e-mail correspondance occasionally, which is one of our ongoing jokes; I don't exactly thank her for it, even if I do see the funny side.

3) Grammar evolves out of and should reflect the common usage of language; therefore different rules are appropriate for different applications. For example you would use "Regards" to end an e-mail rather than "Yours sincerely". I always think of internet forums as threads of conversation rather than essays and try to read them as such. I honestly couldn't imagine talking to a virtual stranger in a pub (no pun intended) at a gig or wherever and stopping them to correct their grammar. Apart from being incredibly rude it would be tantamount to suicide in most English pubs!!!!!
Well said!
Old 01-26-2009, 02:52 PM

Red face

Quote:
Anyone who thinks that their grammar and syntax are perfect should read "Eats, Shoots and Leaves".
That is such a great book, whether you think you are perfect or not, it should be read.

Quote:
I honestly couldn't imagine talking to a virtual stranger in a pub (no pun intended) at a gig or wherever and stopping them to correct their grammar. Apart from being incredibly rude it would be tantamount to suicide in most English pubs!!!!!
How long would the conversation last, before you ended it then? I couldn't imagine keeping a painful conversation like that going for more than a minute or two...
Old 01-26-2009, 07:31 PM
Banned

So if someone is playing a well known guitar solo, like say Always with you always with me, and plays some of the notes wrong, will it still be considered the same as playing it right, since you knew what notes he meant to play?

Use Firefox's spell check and don't look like a dolt.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:14 AM
(a)

Quote:
OH THE IRONY!

haha - just saw that

Show/Hide Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
since everyone had a cry over spelling! nathan549 Other 6-string Guitars (non-Ibanez brand) 20 10-14-2008 10:54 PM
Consideration to fellow posters & forum members (& disbanding of the grammar gestapo) jemsite Off-topic / Miscellaneous 60 03-27-2008 07:55 AM
Grammar!!!! Please.... dannymills Off-topic / Miscellaneous 165 01-16-2007 09:31 PM
Hoshino Group spelling mistake! eeek! leec Off-topic / Miscellaneous 8 11-05-2006 12:17 AM

Sitemap:1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29