<back   Jemsite > Off-topic & Polls > Off-topic / Miscellaneous

Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:09 PM
(a)

Re: Spelling and Grammar (dun dun dunnnnnn!!!)

I stopped worrying about correcting grammar on jemsite years ago. It was akin to beating a dead horse.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcoumbe View Post
. . . . I honestly couldn't imagine talking to a virtual stranger in a pub . . . and stopping them to correct their grammar. Apart from being incredibly rude it would be tantamount to suicide in most English pubs!!!!!
Great post. You are correct, sir.

I have never corrected anyone's grammar in an English pub but I have said, "I'm sorry, I can't understand you," many times in Scottish pubs. The only time I have been utterly unable to understand someone speaking my native language was when I encountered a Glaswegian for the first time.

Peace

Mike
Old 01-28-2009, 09:47 PM
Banned

I wonder what Jimi Hendrix would have posted like here, and how much he would have been nit-picked, well in the past anyway.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:45 AM

He'd probably have been too stoned
Old 01-29-2009, 11:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikey Mikey View Post
Great post. You are correct, sir.

I have never corrected anyone's grammar in an English pub but I have said, "I'm sorry, I can't understand you," many times in Scottish pubs. The only time I have been utterly unable to understand someone speaking my native language was when I encountered a Glaswegian for the first time.

Peace

Mike
you want to try having a conversation with a auk-eye hehehe you think glaswegian is bad.where i come from has a pretty bad accent (sunderland).mackem takem (means) make him take him,wee's keys are these (means)whos keys are these.most american's think all english talk like the royal family.every main city in england has a different accent the further north you get the worse it gets hahaha.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:33 PM
(a)

I visited friends in Northern Ireland once and couldn't understand a word their siblings were saying. I did a lot of smiling and nodding
Old 01-29-2009, 08:29 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
I visited friends in Northern Ireland once and couldn't understand a word their siblings were saying. I did a lot of smiling and nodding
Maybe just nod, you don't want to be caught smiling while they're telling you about the horrible, gruesome death of their great uncle or something.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanez777vbk View Post
every main city in england has a different accent the further north you get the worse it gets hahaha.
+1. The Geordie accent is totally impenetrable. Nice people, but that accent is dire.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:04 AM
(a)

Reviews: 1

Unfortunately, I expect the quality of grammar and spelling will continue to decline as time goes on.
I'm not sure when text message spelling became the norm for all written corrospondence, but I sometimes take offense at posts that make me stop and try to decipher what the poster is saying.

For the most part we are pretty good about it here on Jemsite, but other sites are ghastly and some posts I can't even understand. It's like another language.

~j
Old 02-02-2009, 08:57 AM

Reviews: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post
So if someone is playing a well known guitar solo, like say Always with you always with me, and plays some of the notes wrong, will it still be considered the same as playing it right, since you knew what notes he meant to play?

Use Firefox's spell check and don't look like a dolt.
It wouldn't make it right, but equally does it really matter that much? If someone is asking for critical appraisal then fair enough, but if their itention is to showcase a new amplifier or pedal (or whatever) then a few bum notes wont hurt anyone.

The ability to use the spell check doesn't meant that you aren't a dolt either
Old 02-02-2009, 09:05 AM

Reviews: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavyH View Post
+1. The Geordie accent is totally impenetrable. Nice people, but that accent is dire.
Although I probably have a "received english" accent now, I am fortunate that my Mum is a geordie (and half my family therefore) and I lived in Aberdeen for a while when I was learning to speak. I honestly never have trouble understanding Northern/Scottish accents. Even though we came South when I was 4, I still pronouced certain words (bath, grass and similar) in a geordie accent, until I was 12 when the teasing finally persuaded me to change it.

The other upside to Geordie genes is that I can tolerate cold quite well. Even now while it is snowing I am tempted to roll me tabs into me sleeve, put on me flipflops and gan doon toon! Shearer! Shearer! Shearer!

Last edited by nickcoumbe; 02-08-2009 at 04:26 PM.

Show/Hide Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
since everyone had a cry over spelling! nathan549 Other 6-string Guitars (non-Ibanez brand) 20 10-14-2008 09:54 PM
Consideration to fellow posters & forum members (& disbanding of the grammar gestapo) jemsite Off-topic / Miscellaneous 60 03-27-2008 06:55 AM
Grammar!!!! Please.... dannymills Off-topic / Miscellaneous 165 01-16-2007 08:31 PM
Hoshino Group spelling mistake! eeek! leec Off-topic / Miscellaneous 8 11-04-2006 11:17 PM

Sitemap:1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29