<back   Jemsite > Off-topic & Polls > Off-topic / Miscellaneous

Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:51 PM

Reviews: 1

Spelling and Grammar (dun dun dunnnnnn!!!)

About time this thread appeared:

Now from time to time we see a thread where the first bunch of replies are from people correcting the OP's spelling and grammar mistakes.
The next bunch of replies are from people doing the same, but only to make fun of the original people correcting the mistakes.
The third bunch are from people telling the spelling and grammar correctors to stop being so picky and defeating the topic the OP posted the thread for in the first place.
Then an argument starts up between the correctors and everyone else about the whole thing.
Hence the OP's original statement/question never gets answered.

So here are some guidelines:

EXAMPLE ONE:

"Has anyone sen the new JEMFX?"

This is for the correctors - It's quite obvious that "seen" has been spelt incorrectly as "sen".

GET OVER IT!!!

It's a simple mistake and you can still tell what it means, and therefore it has no effect on the message the OP was giving.

Also the JEMFX actually is the JEM EAFX, but because it's still understandable and there are no other new JEM's out, there's no need to get in a hissy about it.

EXAMPLE TWO:

"so i was over at my mates house and he just got a new guitar he said it was a jem so i checked it out the headstock looked wrong and the logo was bent and ive never seen that type of green on a jem the pickguard was dark grey instead of black it was obvious it was a cheap chibanez copy so i told him and he got all angry at me and said i was jealous all i was doing was letting him know because he should deserve to know right whos with me on this?"

To the correctors - Go for it guys.

To the people who tell the correctors off - Let them correct, this poster needs it.

If I made any mistakes (apart from Example Two), they're probably small ones, so don't even think about it.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:36 PM

Re: Spelling and Grammar (dun dun dunnnnnn!!!)

I think it's really funny how if people write in all caps it seems like they're yelling at you. It's weird, 'cause it's text, but it still seems that way.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuit View Post
EXAMPLE TWO:

"so i was over at my mates house and he just got a new guitar he said it was a jem so i checked it out the headstock looked wrong and the logo was bent and ive never seen that type of green on a jem the pickguard was dark grey instead of black it was obvious it was a cheap chibanez copy so i told him and he got all angry at me and said i was jealous all i was doing was letting him know because he should deserve to know right whos with me on this?"

To the correctors - Go for it guys.

To the people who tell the correctors off - Let them correct, this poster needs it.
I completely concur with this one. A few members' names come to mind.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:17 AM

Hey, people make mistakes, it happens, what really irks the crap out of me is when people type like there texting their girlfriend on her cell phone, or think their cool because they can type in 1337 speak.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:39 AM

Anyone else having trouble with Imageshack?

Last edited by DavyH; 01-27-2009 at 05:33 AM.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinMmmmm View Post
I think it's really funny how if people write in all caps it seems like they're yelling at you. It's weird, 'cause it's text, but it still seems that way.
Well that was the idea with the "Get over it" part, but not the example parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Robb View Post
Hey, people make mistakes, it happens, what really irks the crap out of me is when people type like there texting their girlfriend on her cell phone, or think their cool because they can type in 1337 speak.
Yeah I agree, that's pretty irritating in large quantities.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:36 AM

i thart u is rait xDxDxD
Old 01-23-2009, 04:16 AM

There is a big difference between the odd grammatical error, spelling mistake or typo compared to folk who post incomprehensible gibberish through trying to look cool or just being lazy.

If your first language is English, and you don't know when to use "there", "they're" or "their", it may be a sign of poor education but doesn't usually stop understanding of what's meant, so that kind of stuff isn't too important here. If your first language is something other that English I'm in awe of the fact that you can communicate in English at all!
Old 01-23-2009, 05:07 AM
Banned

i remember when i first joined jemsite i used to get a bit stick over my grammar.the reason for my poor grammar,spelling is i had a brain hemorrhage 8 years ago,which has left me with very poor short term memory problems.once i pointed this out the lads were ok,and nobody questioned my grammar,spelling after that.but it is very frustrating having a poor memory.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanez777vbk View Post
i remember when i first joined jemsite i used to get a bit stick over my grammar.the reason for my poor grammar,spelling is i had a brain hemorrhage 8 years ago,which has left me with very poor short term memory problems.once i pointed this out the lads were ok,and nobody questioned my grammar,spelling after that.but it is very frustrating having a poor memory.
When do you start to remember you have a bad short term memory? *<|)

Grammar is important. I'm thankful that someone is quick with corrections. A good way to learn something. As long as they're right, of course.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Euphor View Post
When do you start to remember you have a bad short term memory? *<|)

Grammar is important. I'm thankful that someone is quick with corrections. A good way to learn something. As long as they're right, of course.
bad joke there mr euphor
Old 01-23-2009, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanez777vbk View Post
bad joke there mr euphor
Yes indeed, sir. I'm a ****bag...
Old 01-23-2009, 07:14 AM

You're an "e - bay bag" ?!?!?!
Old 01-23-2009, 07:57 AM
(a)

weve been here before..
I believe there was a post from Glen disbanding the grammer police or something.

the grammer gestapo
Old 01-23-2009, 08:10 AM

Go build my guitar!

Or...

goo bilded mai geetar!

Show/Hide Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
since everyone had a cry over spelling! nathan549 Other 6-string Guitars (non-Ibanez brand) 20 10-14-2008 09:54 PM
Consideration to fellow posters & forum members (& disbanding of the grammar gestapo) jemsite Off-topic / Miscellaneous 60 03-27-2008 06:55 AM
Grammar!!!! Please.... dannymills Off-topic / Miscellaneous 165 01-16-2007 08:31 PM
Hoshino Group spelling mistake! eeek! leec Off-topic / Miscellaneous 8 11-04-2006 11:17 PM

Sitemap:1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29