<back   Jemsite > Off-topic & Polls > Off-topic / Miscellaneous

Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

Old 07-21-2007, 04:30 PM

system alert icon on taskbar, how to get rid of it?

today, i received a system alert with the icon in the lower right taskbar of the shield symbol changing from red to blue, the message is saying that it detected a number of active spyware and whenever i click on it it opens up windows explorer to a page that has antispyware software to remove it. But windows does not recognize or verify this software, should i download this? I tried going to microsoft website and downloaded windows defender and ran a full scan and it detected a system alert, so i clicked on "remove all" and then it said my computer was running normal. So i restarted my pc but the system alert icon is still there, and i dont know how to get rid of it.
I dont want to download the software that it keeps saying to because i dont know if it is a virus or not.

How do i get rid of this system alert and the icon, it is annoying.
I am using windows xp, installed windows defender, and am running AVG grisoft antivirus/firewall.
Old 07-21-2007, 04:34 PM

Re: system alert icon on taskbar, how to get rid of it?

hm sounds like a piece of spyware trying to fool you to me, I'd download spybot search and destroy and ad-aware, both of those are what I use to kill all my spyware
Old 07-21-2007, 04:50 PM

No, don't install anything! It's trying to trick you.

Go and buy the Defender Pro package. It's very cheap, and it works great. It comes with AV, AS, an awesome firewall, and some very useful tools.

To figure out what it is, hit CTRL + ALT + DELETE, find any suspicious processes, then google them.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieguitarmaker View Post
hm sounds like a piece of spyware trying to fool you to me, I'd download spybot search and destroy and ad-aware, both of those are what I use to kill all my spyware
I second this opinion.

And then find a good anti-virus and firewall. If you don't want to pay for one, you can always use AVG for free.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:44 PM

I've never spent a single penny on programs, Spybot + Adaware + AVG = plenty of protection.
Old 07-21-2007, 07:01 PM

Reviews: 1

RObb is right, and furthermore, dont' pay for the full version of defender either.
Find out the name of the program, then do a search for removing it. sometimes you can remove it manually, but in most cases there is a forum of guys who do just spyware detection.

So type in google the program name and removal and forum, and off you go.

Bamm
Old 07-23-2007, 10:05 AM
(a)

Reviews: 18

That program is a PITA to remove. First things first, go to the add/remove programs in the control panel and see if there is a program called "VS Toolbar Add-in". If the program is listed there, deleting it won't do anything. you're going tohave to download a few pieces of software and 1 to tell you what updates you should get to try to find the source of the problem and increase the security in your system. Go to filehippo and get them all from there. You will also find AVG antivirus, which is free. Last but not least, when you get your system fixed, download the comodo firewall and use that instead of the windows one (or if you're anal, use both).

1. CCleaner
2. HiJack This
3. SysInternals from Microsoft
4. MSBA from Microsoft

Hope this helps.

Jimmy
Old 07-23-2007, 10:07 AM

Add a good registry cleaner to the above. RegSeeker is a great, free piece of software.

http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm
Old 07-23-2007, 06:06 PM

after doing extensive internet searches on this issue, i finally came across someone who recommended a free software called super anti spyware. In the process of this whole thing, i ended up buying a couple anti spyware (i know, my mistake), both of which did absolutely nothing! i also tried the spybot, ad ware, defender etc..... without any success. i then downloaded the super anti spyware program and it got rid of the stupid icon in one try. i was fortunate to get a refund on the ones i purchasesd.
So after spending the whole day on the issue, it's nice to see my pc start up without that stupid icon. Apparently, a lot of people have had the same problem, if it is you, then i recommend using Super anti spyware to get rid of it.

To all the ones who posted advice, thanks, they were helpful.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:33 PM
Banned

I had this problem too...

Show/Hide Posting Rules