Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Talent, who needs TALENT?!?!?

3K views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  wilch 
#1 · (Edited)
We're all fired!
watch and weep!
http://www.celemony.com/cms/index.php?id=dna
Seriously, this is sick! ! !

No more need for anyone to be able to play their instrument, now a 2 yo can pound on the guitar or piano and an engineer solid in Celemony can turn it into the greatest song ever.

#10 ·
I think it depends on whether you want to be a "guitarist" or a "musician". If it helps someone to create great music then good for them, I will be happy to listen to great music regardless of their skill level on a particular instrument. Of course you would still have to have some skills anyway.

#14 ·
I think it's a good tool that one could use to fix little mishaps here and there. Say you're in the studio cutting a track and you play this great solo which you didn't get right in the first 20 takes but you finally nailed in the 21st and at the end you hit the wrong note; there would be some use for it.
I also think it's a great time saver and a way to experiment with different variations to see what could be changed in a mix.

I'd like to buy the software but I don't think it's affordable for the masses...

Jimmy:smile:

#17 ·
After recording our first album basically at home using a DIGI 001 and various bits of gear, we took the end product (of which we were very proud) to Turtlerock Mastering Studio here in Sydney - best place for mastering in Australia.... anyway, there we are, all very happy with our efforts, and our singer says to Rick, the mastering engineer; "with all this cheap recording gear available now, aren't you a bit worried...?" Rick replied; "Yep, very worried - you should hear some of the crap I have to listen to now....."

Moral? You can have all the toys in the world, but the output is still only going to be as good as the input, so if you start with talentless dross, the best you will end up with is very polished talentless dross.....

.... which seems to sell by the millions .........

#20 ·
I actually find this technology amazing. If used in the correct way it could open musical doors that haven't been opened yet.

...and no, I don't mean stupid vocal pitch shifting pop crap.

I liken this new ability of Melodyne to Photoshop. Photoshop has gotten a bad name because people/newbies have used it in a bad way, badly "enhancing" an already bad photograph. But Photoshop is a powerful tool in which, if used properly, can produce art like the film photographers of old could only dream of producing.

Maybe we'll get some Joey Lawrence equivalents in the music industry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.