Ibanez JEM Forum banner
433K views 3K replies 146 participants last post by  dex 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
If anyone is not using Firefox3 yet now is the time and make sure to enable web color managment

Use Method 2 here
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-9311-9478

-----------------------------------------------------------------

FYI:
Weekly Photographic Assignment Master Thread Link here:
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75066

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I'll start it, heres a few.

Here's the link if you want to see it bigger,for the panorama.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2198/2224923390_7bf0d3295a_b.jpg

See less See more
#40 ·
i need to really work with it outdoors & with moving subjects indoors. especially with shallow DOF. one thing it allows is judging the focus when you want off-centered items to be in focus. the AF selection on the 5D is realllly nice (you have the little nub where you basically point to the AF point you want to activate or click in to go back to center - that's the CF i use anyways) but i need MF and all my lenses are FTM (full time manual - no need to flip switches to go from AF/MF).

i also bought an eyepiece to match my glasses for special cases where i want to shoot without them yet still have -4.5. For example in bright sunlight the viewfinder info gets tricky with glasses/glare. I can quickly swap the eyecap, click to -2 and i'm all set... glen

#39 ·
hehe. no need to remove anything but come on. you said yourself they're point/shoot. i don't know if you're a pro photog but that camera sorta implies something well beyond hobbyist (10fps, huge cost) add the grain and they were sized like what VGA? i'd certainly like to see some nice shots from a D3, void of photoshop excess and underexposed ISO3200 :) ...glen

#41 ·
you're absolutely right Glen, i shudda known better, i'll try harder next time..
and no, i ain't a pro, far from it, i ain't a guitarist either but i own a jem amongst other guitars. the point is, i share common interests with others and enjoy sharing in the related conversations.. the hardware i use really doesn't matter.. posting 10meg jpg's wouldn't be popular hence the vga resizing.

#42 ·
800wide is perfectly acceptable. Even saved at "quality 12" in photoshop will give you an image no bigger than 300KB (give or take).

Any wider than this though, and you'll be ostricising anyone that has their resolution set to 1024x768 (and doesn't have their browser auto sizing images).

#52 ·
Thanks, It was a setting in LightRoom. I think creative aged photo. Thanks for recommending that lens too, really enjoying it. I figured I'd save some money now and buy that lens. Then see where I am with this photography stuff in year and look at upgrading to an L lens if I still need one.

#53 ·
The Sigma is a killer lens. I wouldn't trade mine for a Canon 17-40mm "L". I would miss the extra reach of the Sigma and the closeup ability. The Sigma is super sharp, and the color reproduction is excellent. Try some blue sky shots with that lens if you want to see some nice color.

#57 ·
Maybe a higher aperature like f16 would have been better for that photo. That would have given you more depth of field and more of the photo in focus.
Are you converting your photos to sRGB before posting on the web? If not you should try it. Your photos will have stronger color and more "pop" when viewed online if you convert then to sRGB.

#56 ·
A mate of mine and I decided to start giving each other weekly assignments, where we both come up with a "theme", implement the theme without consulting each other, and present the finally images to each other by a set deadline. After this we have to pull each others image apart, how was it lit, how was it processed, what do you believe could be improved and why, etc etc.

This week's theme was, "Coming For You In The Night":

#59 ·
Yeah the fan one is my favorite too, I love stuff like that, original vintage stuff, looks great! Reminds me at work, there's a substation room with an original old phone from the days when you had to put your finger in the disc and rotate round to dial, and it's still connected to the exchange!

#60 ·
i too liked the B/W fan picture from D-shore... Wilch's "coming to get ya in the night" pic is interesting.. your murderer?? could do with some blood on his chopper!! (does that sound rude?) :lol: and maybe a white t shirt with tomato sauce splashes on it.. ;) very atmospheric.. great images..

#71 ·
Distantshore, I reckon you could make some money off that fan shot of yours if you put it up on redbubble.com (or similar stock photo site).

lol! I did think about blood, or even adding it in post. But decided against. Too gorey.

Yeah, I had 3 concepts in mind, and was somewhat forced into using the one in the pic above.

The other two concepts included, guy sneaking outside bedroom window with camera (but it's been raining, so that was out), and large shadow cast on wall of person holding implement of death (gun, knife, crow bar, something) but I decided against that after a few test shots as there wasn't really much in the images if you know what I mean. If I had a location with a more interesting background, then it would've been doable.

So if you wanted sRGB do you need to convert it in PS or can you do it in camera?
Can be done in-camera (depending on the camera). Don't you shoot RAW though?

Wilch, I like that idea you and your friend came up with to challenge each other. I really like the lighting on your photos.
Thanks dude. We decided to try and challenge each other. That way we hopefully learn at an exponential rate. There are a few forums that do the monthly assignment, but that's too slow IMO.

Also, because we're also close friends we can give immediate feedback. So it should work out well. Breaking down each others images (the how) will be good too.

The shots I've posted have all used remotely triggered strobes. Up to 3 at any one time.

Very little processing in the images (curves, individual colour saturation). I use to do a lot more processing when I didn't have the strobes.

I do it in PS. I think that the "save for web" option defaults at sRGB conversion. Maybe some cameras have that option but I think "adobe RGB" is better for printing and editing. Converting to sRGB just looks better on the web for some reason. As you can see in Distantshore's example the sRGB one has more contrast and more color saturation.
Depends on where you're printing the image. Alot of stores will require sRGB as they don't have Photoshop, or an Adobe toolset for printing. Which means the images will be printed dull.

Adobe RGB doesn't save any colour profile into the image because it assumes that it will be opened on software that can put this colour profile back in. sRGB is a profile that gets saved to an image - firefox, IE, etc can all read it.

It's best to edit images in the colourspace that you intend it to be viewed on or printed from. Or atleast "edit->convert to profile" (in photoshop) before saving/printing/uploading.

I like the More Vivid option on my D80, but is there a way i can tweak it a little?
Always, in post. Have you got Photoshop? Curves adjustment can make things pop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.