Ibanez JEM Forum banner

uk smokers have you heard this

3K views 34 replies 17 participants last post by  JJEMMER777 
#1 ·
i was watching the news the other night and the goverment might be doubling the price of 20 cigs,that would be £10 a packet,i smoke rolls golden virginia whatever i can get my hands on. i get mine cheap £5 50grams (cant afford taylormades).if the goverment go through with this and you smoke 20 a day thats a staggering £140 a week,a pouch a tabbaco last me a week so all i spend is £5.:)

#4 ·
ok. rethinking here...because my last post will no doubt start a flame war of "I'll smoke if i want to! It's a free country!".

We've seen it here before. It's old.

In countries such as Canada, England and France, where health care is public, doesn't it seem that higher taxes on tobacco would make sense? Otherwise, they'll have to raise taxes for everybody across the board.

Smoking is bad for you, and unless you're incredibly lucky, WILL cause health problems - both short term and long term. It's been conclusively proven. The people who smoke are well aware of the dangers and risks and choose to do so anyway - it's their preogative, correct?

So why SHOULDN'T the smokers be asked to pay more into the system, since they're more likely to be using the system? The guy who's buying his highly-taxed pack of cigarettes today is really just paying for his own health care tomorrow.

The person that heeds the smoking warnings shouldn't have to pay higher taxes so the person who chooses to ignore the warnings can visit the doctor with his/her various smoking-related health issues.

People who have a lot of car accidents pay more for their car insurance than drivers who have a clean record. It's the same principle.

my .02

~k

#7 ·
ok. rethinking here...because my last post will no doubt start a flame war of "I'll smoke if i want to! It's a free country!".

We've seen it here before. It's old.

In countries such as Canada, England and France, where health care is public, doesn't it seem that higher taxes on tobacco would make sense? Otherwise, they'll have to raise taxes for everybody across the board.

Smoking is bad for you, and unless you're incredibly lucky, WILL cause health problems - both short term and long term. It's been conclusively proven. The people who smoke are well aware of the dangers and risks and choose to do so anyway - it's their preogative, correct?

So why SHOULDN'T the smokers be asked to pay more into the system, since they're more likely to be using the system? The guy who's buying his highly-taxed pack of cigarettes today is really just paying for his own health care tomorrow.

The person that heeds the smoking warnings shouldn't have to pay higher taxes so the person who chooses to ignore the warnings can visit the doctor with his/her various smoking-related health issues.

People who have a lot of car accidents pay more for their car insurance than drivers who have a clean record. It's the same principle.

my .02

~k
I can't totally disagree with your position.... but, maybe we should also look at adding unrealistic taxes on fast food too! :lol: Heck, hasn't it been proven to directly contribute to poor health too, and probably on a much larger scale.

I can see it now..... $25.00 Happy Meals at McDonald's! Hmmm..... I see far more FAT people walking around than smokers now days! ;)

#6 ·
I agree with Kennydoe's post, in that it applies to countries with public health care. But the taxes on cigarettes here just seem to be a little less merited. Since there is no public healthcare here, why should smokers pay so much more tax? They already have pretty much no choice but to go outside to smoke'em.

Not to anger any bigger people, but they don't give extra taxes on stuff like junk food. I'm sure there are plenty of taxes (in countries w/ public healthcare) going towards keeping overweight people alive. I just think to myself, people like this usually see a doctor a lot more than a smoker (not that smoker's don't need too, but they usually don't.)

I didn't mean to anger anyone's so please don't take offense. BTW I don't smoke :D

#32 ·
I agree with Kennydoe's post, in that it applies to countries with public health care. But the taxes on cigarettes here just seem to be a little less merited. Since there is no public healthcare here, why should smokers pay so much more tax?
I agree. Smokers should just pay twice as much for health insurance. I.e. your employer pays $400-800 a month, and then you also chip in $400-800 a month. I don't see why I should pay for someone else's self inflicted lung or throat cancer.

#11 ·
funny how that article has the reporter in NY, but the story is about St Paul, Minnesota - close to 1000 miles away.

I defintely relate to the smell issue.

My roadie-guy is a very considerate smoker. He won't smoke in my car, even if i'm not here (sometimes he sits out in my van while the band is playing - usually not less than 4 hours at a time). My issue is when we ride together and he comes in the van after a cig and he just smells awful. It's hard to sit next to...usually i hold my breath.

#13 ·
To be honest, just quit. I know people are addicted I've dealt with it too and it isn't easy but we all know you started out trying to look cool and now no one does. Smoking is bad for you and others plus it's expensive what is there left to make it worth anyones while?

Seriously, there is nothing I hate more in this world than smoking.

In Japan no one cares one bit about it at all and it drives me nuts. Even if there is a no smoking sign, people smoke anyways regardless of the $300 fine. They smoke inevery restraunt, livehouse, bar, stadium and on every corner. Also, in every house.

A couple of my football (soccer for the 'mericans) teammates smoke at half time and after every game in a tournament. It's rediculous. So I say up witht he taxes and drive the tabacco companies into the ground.

#19 ·
i packed up smoking few years ago for 18 months, at the time i was 11 stone after being off the cigs for 18 months my weight shot up nearly 5 stone,i thought balls to that so i started smoking again,im still overweight but not obese.i thought it was easy to give up (got to be in the right frame of mind).but must admit i love a ciggy

#22 ·
I think cigarrettes and booze should be taxed 4 or even 5 times more of what their original price is. For example, if a pack of cigarrettes cost 3 bucks in the US, after taxes the cost of a pack of cigarretes should be 15 bucks.

I'm surprised uncle sam hasn't figured out that if cigs and booze is taxed that way, we could solve our national debt problem in a jiffy :wink:

Jimmy:smile:

#25 ·
Whoa! You guys in the UK have universal health care, and still have problems associated with the cost of health care and smokers, etc? Wow! Here across the pond we've been told that Universal Health Care is the answer to ALL of our health care associated costs and a solution for all of the millions of uninsured people who don't get the care they deserve... I thought it was our system of evil rich doctors and greedy HMO b@!*ards that was the problem! Guess it was the smoker's faults all along!! ;)
BTW, what's the VAT tax percentage up to now, anyways?

#33 ·
Just one question and if this steers too close to the forbidden topic of politics then someone delete it and i will say no more.

At the same time as announcing a big hit on cigarette and booze duty did they also announce a massive increase in spending on the health service???

.......anyone??

that will be an no then will it?
If i was a smoker then i'd say fair 'nuff if you can show me that every penny of that extra money went directly to doctors nurses and hospitals. Anything else is them picking on an easy excuse to part you from your hard earned cash for which you have absolutely no comeback.

I am happily moving abroad. Enjoy!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.