Windows Vista anyone? - Page 4 - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 139 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 03:26 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Trondheim, Norway
Posts: 3,614
Re: Windows Vista anyone?

Shortsighted perhaps, but economically sane. 12-18 months is a long time in the digital world. Still, there are many computers sold (at least online over the pond) with XP, some versions grant a free update to Vista. I'm not sure what's normal, but I sure don't buy a new computer every year. And most people don't, I reckon. So I think it will take a long time before the world is XP free.

And yeah, I know it's not meant for old computers. But still it's possible to buy low spec'd desktops that do the work, and not pay for more than you need. I think most people are unaware of Vista. Not that it's anything wrong with that.

A good thing that the Aero doesn't use the main resources, but still - too demanding for most, IMO.
The Euphor is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #47 of 139 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 03:33 PM
site founder 0% owner
 
jemsite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: NJ - USA
Posts: 10,393
Reviews: 1
Re: Windows Vista anyone?

dual core desktop computers are $450 here.

your debate might be effective over there, but here you can't buy a "low spec" desktop. dell doesn't even SELL a new PC w/o Vista, nor will you find an XP box in major stores like Best Buy, Circuit City. i don't think you guys are grasping this... glen

ps - Aero can be disabled from your preferences
jemsite is online  
post #48 of 139 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 03:44 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Trondheim, Norway
Posts: 3,614
Re: Windows Vista anyone?

Good luck getting one here for that amount of money.

Dell still sell them with XP here, but it might not be for long. They claim every computer they sell are able to run Vista... Well, time will tell.

From what I've read, it's not worth buying a new computer/upgrading only to run Vista. Eventually it's bound to be installed, everywhere...
The Euphor is offline  
post #49 of 139 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 03:59 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: NB Canada
Posts: 3,467
Re: Windows Vista anyone?

Vista ran on my pc with no noticeble difference in speed than windows XP. Some things seemed quicker actually. My pc is an AMD XP2200+, 1 gig of ram, 240Gigs of hard drive space, Geforce 5900 ultra vid card. An old machine by todays standards but it ran Vista just fine.
Rotti is offline  
post #50 of 139 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 04:07 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Trondheim, Norway
Posts: 3,614
Re: Windows Vista anyone?

"Old machine", as if you're using PC100 RAM...
The Euphor is offline  
post #51 of 139 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 04:36 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Utrecht, Netherlands
Posts: 922
Re: Windows Vista anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
What exactly is the reason why his "4 month old computer" won't run Vista?

Time to backup your original proclamation too Jer

It's laughable because you guys post nonsense as truth, without backing it up with any remote facts. it's always the rare exception that rule... glen
I'd presume that the software told him the hardware was not complient. Maybe he actually tried installing it, but I doubt that since it's an work machine. But he told me Vista won't run on his 4 month old machine and if that's not 'fact' enough for you, well then I guess it won't be enough for you.

J
Jeroenn is offline  
post #52 of 139 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 04:56 PM
 
AirGuitar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Wales, UK
Posts: 834
Re: Windows Vista anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
My test PC scores like a 2.8 out of 10 on performance (i'll grab a screenshot) but it's fine for what is needed. Works the same with XP and vista except intel choose not to develop video drivers for the integrated card so you a $39 card to use Vista. yawn... glen
Mine only scored 4.2. I expected a lot higher seeing as ive got an X2 4200+, 1900 XTX, 3Gigs of ram and a 10,000 rpm drive. I wonder how powerful a system needs to be to score 10?

It runs everything fine though, its certainly not slower than XP, and i love the changes theyve made to the interface, lots of little things that make it easier to use.
AirGuitar is offline  
post #53 of 139 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 05:46 PM
site founder 0% owner
 
jemsite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: NJ - USA
Posts: 10,393
Reviews: 1
Re: Windows Vista anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroenn View Post
I'd presume that the software told him the hardware was not complient. Maybe he actually tried installing it, but I doubt that since it's an work machine. But he told me Vista won't run on his 4 month old machine and if that's not 'fact' enough for you, well then I guess it won't be enough for you. J
case in point.

he gave you half-baked info, based on a "pc from work" which might purposefully be limited in terms of graphics - and obviously he didn't purchase himself nor know anything about it. still you you ran with it as an important fact

OMG!!!!!!! VISTA WONT INSTALL ON 4 MONTH OLD PC FROM WORK !!! M$ IS EVEL (!&(!)@!

....glen
jemsite is online  
post #54 of 139 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 05:59 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,596
Re: Windows Vista anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotti View Post
You need to have the latest windows updates and a little common sense and your 100% safe.
That was actually the first thing I did as well as intalling all the latest versions of IE, MP, messenger etc.
crevis is offline  
post #55 of 139 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 06:38 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Utrecht, Netherlands
Posts: 922
Re: Windows Vista anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
case in point.

he gave you half-baked info, based on a "pc from work" which might purposefully be limited in terms of graphics - and obviously he didn't purchase himself nor know anything about it. still you you ran with it as an important fact

OMG!!!!!!! VISTA WONT INSTALL ON 4 MONTH OLD PC FROM WORK !!! M$ IS EVEL (!&(!)@!

....glen

There's nothing half-baked about the info he gave me, wether you like it or not. One 4 month old PC won't run Vista. Whatever you assume on what his level of knowledge is or how the purchase was done, you only make because you obviously don't want to hear any argument that might hurt this computer OS that you so admire.

Anyway, I see from your reactions that there's really not much sense in going further in this 'debate' as you obviously prefer to act silly.

J
Jeroenn is offline  
post #56 of 139 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 06:39 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 3,422
Re: Windows Vista anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroenn View Post
There's nothing half-baked about the info he gave me, wether you like it or not. One 4 month old PC won't run Vista. Whatever you assume on what his level of knowledge is or how the purchase was done, you only make because you obviously don't want to hear any argument that might hurt this computer OS that you so admire.

Anyway, I see from your reactions that there's really not much sense in going further in this 'debate' as you obviously prefer to act silly.

J

x2 no matter what you say Glen and Vista are god.. Im glad there happy with each other..
ibanezcollector is offline  
post #57 of 139 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 06:49 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Utrecht, Netherlands
Posts: 922
Re: Windows Vista anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezcollector View Post
x2 no matter what you say Glen and Vista are god.. Im glad there happy with each other..
I guess. I wasn't even trying to convince him otherwise, but I guess *I'm* just a zealot...

Whatever
J
Jeroenn is offline  
post #58 of 139 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 07:06 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: NB Canada
Posts: 3,467
Re: Windows Vista anyone?

I'm not a Mac hater. I would even consider buying a Mac notebook just for something different someday but this is how I see it.

Better price, Mac or PC? Winner = PC
Software availability? Winner = PC
Hardware compatibility? Winner = PC
Upgradeability? Winner = PC
Speed? Winner = Not Sure, (probably doesn't matter at the high end of things, both are fast enough.)
Gaming? Winner = PC
Virus issues? Winner = Mac if PC is not properly setup. With proper setup and mainentance it's the same.
Stability? Winner = Mac if PC is not properly setup. With proper setup and mainentance it's the same.

The way I see it a PC is better in almost every way unless you don't know how to maintain your PC. For a newbie or someone who is computer ilitterate a Mac will be more trouble free.
Rotti is offline  
post #59 of 139 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 07:14 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: NB Canada
Posts: 3,467
Re: Windows Vista anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crevis View Post
That was actually the first thing I did as well as intalling all the latest versions of IE, MP, messenger etc.
I know if you go online with a fresh install of XP and no updates you can pickup viruses and trojans very quickly. A few minutes is all it takes sometimes. Many of those old viruses like "Blaster Worm" are still floating around out there.
I have a WinXP CD with all the latest updates so as soon as I install an OS the PC is ready to go online with no worries.
Rotti is offline  
post #60 of 139 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 07:15 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: NB Canada
Posts: 3,467
Re: Windows Vista anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Euphor View Post
"Old machine", as if you're using PC100 RAM...
Well it's not ancient but it's far from current. My ram is pc133.
Rotti is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
multi track , randy rhoads

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Downloadable windows updates...... Rotti Off-topic / Miscellaneous 2 05-27-2006 12:20 PM
Moddified Windows For Music Production! Mr.WizardNeck Recording Studio 6 05-18-2006 05:01 PM
video: robert fripp making music for windows vista monkeyboy Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams! 1 01-08-2006 11:41 AM
Windows the Soul Live? unique77 Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams! 21 08-22-2005 01:07 PM
Windows 2000 prof. and Cubase SL help needed! Kev Brigden Recording Studio 0 10-17-2004 10:36 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome