<back   Jemsite > Off-topic & Polls > Off-topic / Miscellaneous

Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 03:26 PM

Re: Windows Vista anyone?

Shortsighted perhaps, but economically sane. 12-18 months is a long time in the digital world. Still, there are many computers sold (at least online over the pond) with XP, some versions grant a free update to Vista. I'm not sure what's normal, but I sure don't buy a new computer every year. And most people don't, I reckon. So I think it will take a long time before the world is XP free.

And yeah, I know it's not meant for old computers. But still it's possible to buy low spec'd desktops that do the work, and not pay for more than you need. I think most people are unaware of Vista. Not that it's anything wrong with that.

A good thing that the Aero doesn't use the main resources, but still - too demanding for most, IMO.
Old 02-03-2007, 03:33 PM
(a)
Administrator

Reviews: 1

dual core desktop computers are $450 here.

your debate might be effective over there, but here you can't buy a "low spec" desktop. dell doesn't even SELL a new PC w/o Vista, nor will you find an XP box in major stores like Best Buy, Circuit City. i don't think you guys are grasping this... glen

ps - Aero can be disabled from your preferences
Old 02-03-2007, 03:44 PM

Good luck getting one here for that amount of money.

Dell still sell them with XP here, but it might not be for long. They claim every computer they sell are able to run Vista... Well, time will tell.

From what I've read, it's not worth buying a new computer/upgrading only to run Vista. Eventually it's bound to be installed, everywhere...
Old 02-03-2007, 03:59 PM

Vista ran on my pc with no noticeble difference in speed than windows XP. Some things seemed quicker actually. My pc is an AMD XP2200+, 1 gig of ram, 240Gigs of hard drive space, Geforce 5900 ultra vid card. An old machine by todays standards but it ran Vista just fine.
Old 02-03-2007, 04:07 PM

"Old machine", as if you're using PC100 RAM...
Old 02-03-2007, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
What exactly is the reason why his "4 month old computer" won't run Vista?

Time to backup your original proclamation too Jer

It's laughable because you guys post nonsense as truth, without backing it up with any remote facts. it's always the rare exception that rule... glen
I'd presume that the software told him the hardware was not complient. Maybe he actually tried installing it, but I doubt that since it's an work machine. But he told me Vista won't run on his 4 month old machine and if that's not 'fact' enough for you, well then I guess it won't be enough for you.

J
Old 02-03-2007, 04:56 PM
(a)

Quote:
My test PC scores like a 2.8 out of 10 on performance (i'll grab a screenshot) but it's fine for what is needed. Works the same with XP and vista except intel choose not to develop video drivers for the integrated card so you a $39 card to use Vista. yawn... glen
Mine only scored 4.2. I expected a lot higher seeing as ive got an X2 4200+, 1900 XTX, 3Gigs of ram and a 10,000 rpm drive. I wonder how powerful a system needs to be to score 10?

It runs everything fine though, its certainly not slower than XP, and i love the changes theyve made to the interface, lots of little things that make it easier to use.
Old 02-03-2007, 05:46 PM
(a)
Administrator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroenn View Post
I'd presume that the software told him the hardware was not complient. Maybe he actually tried installing it, but I doubt that since it's an work machine. But he told me Vista won't run on his 4 month old machine and if that's not 'fact' enough for you, well then I guess it won't be enough for you. J
case in point.

he gave you half-baked info, based on a "pc from work" which might purposefully be limited in terms of graphics - and obviously he didn't purchase himself nor know anything about it. still you you ran with it as an important fact

OMG!!!!!!! VISTA WONT INSTALL ON 4 MONTH OLD PC FROM WORK !!! M$ IS EVEL (!&(!)@!

....glen
Old 02-03-2007, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotti View Post
You need to have the latest windows updates and a little common sense and your 100% safe.
That was actually the first thing I did as well as intalling all the latest versions of IE, MP, messenger etc.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:38 PM

Quote:
case in point.

he gave you half-baked info, based on a "pc from work" which might purposefully be limited in terms of graphics - and obviously he didn't purchase himself nor know anything about it. still you you ran with it as an important fact

OMG!!!!!!! VISTA WONT INSTALL ON 4 MONTH OLD PC FROM WORK !!! M$ IS EVEL (!&(!)@!

....glen

There's nothing half-baked about the info he gave me, wether you like it or not. One 4 month old PC won't run Vista. Whatever you assume on what his level of knowledge is or how the purchase was done, you only make because you obviously don't want to hear any argument that might hurt this computer OS that you so admire.

Anyway, I see from your reactions that there's really not much sense in going further in this 'debate' as you obviously prefer to act silly.

J
Old 02-03-2007, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroenn View Post
There's nothing half-baked about the info he gave me, wether you like it or not. One 4 month old PC won't run Vista. Whatever you assume on what his level of knowledge is or how the purchase was done, you only make because you obviously don't want to hear any argument that might hurt this computer OS that you so admire.

Anyway, I see from your reactions that there's really not much sense in going further in this 'debate' as you obviously prefer to act silly.

J

x2 no matter what you say Glen and Vista are god.. Im glad there happy with each other..
Old 02-03-2007, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezcollector View Post
x2 no matter what you say Glen and Vista are god.. Im glad there happy with each other..
I guess. I wasn't even trying to convince him otherwise, but I guess *I'm* just a zealot...

Whatever
J
Old 02-03-2007, 07:06 PM

I'm not a Mac hater. I would even consider buying a Mac notebook just for something different someday but this is how I see it.

Better price, Mac or PC? Winner = PC
Software availability? Winner = PC
Hardware compatibility? Winner = PC
Upgradeability? Winner = PC
Speed? Winner = Not Sure, (probably doesn't matter at the high end of things, both are fast enough.)
Gaming? Winner = PC
Virus issues? Winner = Mac if PC is not properly setup. With proper setup and mainentance it's the same.
Stability? Winner = Mac if PC is not properly setup. With proper setup and mainentance it's the same.

The way I see it a PC is better in almost every way unless you don't know how to maintain your PC. For a newbie or someone who is computer ilitterate a Mac will be more trouble free.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crevis View Post
That was actually the first thing I did as well as intalling all the latest versions of IE, MP, messenger etc.
I know if you go online with a fresh install of XP and no updates you can pickup viruses and trojans very quickly. A few minutes is all it takes sometimes. Many of those old viruses like "Blaster Worm" are still floating around out there.
I have a WinXP CD with all the latest updates so as soon as I install an OS the PC is ready to go online with no worries.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Euphor View Post
"Old machine", as if you're using PC100 RAM...
Well it's not ancient but it's far from current. My ram is pc133.
Closed Thread

Tags
multi track, randy rhoads

Show/Hide Posting Rules