<back   Jemsite > Off-topic & Polls > Polls

Polls Create forum Polls here or vote in existing polls.

View Poll Results: Best Guitarist of the last 30 years?
Steve Vai 103 31.79%
Slash 4 1.23%
Tom Morello 1 0.31%
Joe Satriani 59 18.21%
John Frusciante 2 0.62%
Jonny Greenwood 1 0.31%
Peter Buck 0 0%
The Edge 0 0%
Kurt Cobain 1 0.31%
Edward Van Halen 54 16.67%
Prince 3 0.93%
Charlie Hunter 2 0.62%
Buckethead 12 3.70%
Derek Trucks 1 0.31%
Other Please post 81 25.00%
Voters: 324. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-19-2013, 10:08 PM

Re: Best Guitarist of the last 30 years.

Both Satriani and Vai said that Malmsteen opened/showed the way. Without Yngwie we wouldn't have the school of guitarists that followed right after, from neo classical to blues derived style, they all have to give credit where is due and Yngwie pushed everyone much forward, hell, far beyond where they were technically at. He was like a guitar messiah influencing rock guitar like no one before.

But for me the "best" player or most impressive out of that guitar revolution is Jason Becker.

Last edited by LAUBURU; 02-19-2013 at 10:16 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAUBURU View Post
Both Satriani and Vai said that Malmsteen opened/showed the way.
And Al Di Meola opened/showed the way for Malmsteen, Gilbert, Batio, and all the other alternate-picking Metal speedsters, when he hit the scene in the 70's. A lot of thier picking patterns are identical to Di Meola, and to a lesser degree, McLaughlin. In the days of Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page and Eric Clapton, that level of alternate-picking speed from Hard Rock players was unheard of, and only exhibited by a handful of obscure Fusion players - until Di Meola crashed the electric guitar world and became the staple for ultra-fast Rock style playing.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTranslator View Post
And Al Di Meola opened/showed the way for Malmsteen, Gilbert, Batio, and all the other alternate-picking Metal speedsters, when he hit the scene in the 70's. A lot of thier picking patterns are identical to Di Meola, and to a lesser degree, McLaughlin. In the days of Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page and Eric Clapton, that level of alternate-picking speed from Hard Rock players was unheard of, and only exhibited by a handful of obscure Fusion players - until Di Meola crashed the electric guitar world and became the staple for ultra-fast Rock style playing.

Al di Meola did what he did with some people in the electric guitar world, but it was Yngwie directly who turned the world upside down. All roads lead to Rome, but not everyone there became Cesar.

By the way di Meola didn't do nothing for Yngwie.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:

By the way di Meola didn't do nothing for Yngwie.
I disagree. If you've actually sat down and studied Di Meola's riffs, it's pretty obvious that Malmsteen (and Gilbert, Batio, Vinnie Moore, et al) took the exact same alternate-picking patterns, and just added a little tapping and sweeping to give it the "Metal" sound. When Malmsteen first came out, I was like - damn, that's the only Rocker I've heard who picks and sounds just like Al Di Meola. After that, all the other "Neo-Classical" guys came out of the woodwork, but Di Meola was initially responsible for the "Domino" effect that created the rash of ultra-fast alternate-picking Metal guys. Prior to that, Rock players were only doing basic pull-offs and hammer-ons. The thing that bothers me, is that none of those guys mention Di Meola as an influence, when it's pretty obvious that they spent ample time perusing the Romantic Warrior and Friday Night In San Francisco albums. At least Batio credited the influence of Jazz players for developing his picking technique, but we all know which Jazz/Fusion player(s) he was talking about

Last edited by TheTranslator; 02-20-2013 at 12:05 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
I disagree. If you've actually sat down and studied Di Meola's riffs, it's pretty obvious that Malmsteen (and Gilbert, Batio, Vinnie Moore, et al) took the exact same alternate-picking patterns, and just added a little tapping and sweeping to give it the "Metal" sound. When Malmsteen first came out, I was like - damn, that's the only Rocker I've heard who picks and sounds just like Al Di Meola. After that, all the other "Neo-Classical" guys came out of the woodwork, but Di Meola was initially responsible for the "Domino" effect that created the rash of ultra-fast alternate-picking Metal players. Prior to that, Rock players were only doing basic pull-offs and hammer-ons. The thing that bothers me, is that none of those guys mention Di Meola as an influence, when it's obvious they spent ample time perusing the Romantic Warrior and Friday Night In San Francisco albums. At least Batio credited the influence of Jazz players for developing his picking technique, but we all which Jazz/Fusion player he was talking about

Yngwie had already written and played "Far Beyond the Sun" in small gigs when he was 16 years old back in 1979 in Sweden. He also had the majority of his solo debut album written and down as well at that time. It took Varney a while to bring him over to record the Steeler and Alcatrazz albums. Vai at replacing Yngwie commented how he had trouble getting some solos down. Not bad for a poor kid without formal music training like di Meola and Vai had.

The di Meola's recordings along with John and the master de Lucia "Night at San Francisco" came out in 1981 and the Chick Corea stuff was in 1976. In reality just how many poor 12 year olds as in Yngwie in '76 would be into Chick Coreas music at that time and specially in Sweden?
Old 02-20-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
In reality just how many poor 12 year olds as in Yngwie in '76 would be into Chick Coreas music at that time and specially in Sweden?
Realistically; if there are little Asian girls who are barely past 5 yrs old, and can play serious Classical pieces, it's not unfathomable for a 12 yr old Swedish boy to be into Chick Corea's music, and the picking technique/speed of Al Di Meola

Quote:
Yngwie had already written and played "Far Beyond the Sun" in small gigs when he was 16 years old back in 1979 in Sweden.
Which means he had a few years to practice Di Meola's licks in the mid-70's when he was 12

Last edited by TheTranslator; 02-20-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:08 PM

Reviews: 12
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADTUNES666 View Post
+1 for me then to be silly I will nominate Reb Beach, tied with Al Pitrelli...
The funny thing is, if you ask me at ten different points I'll give you ten different answers.

Like now for instance I would say my top guys are

Al Dimeola, Steve vai, Joe Satriani, George Benson...
Old 02-20-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Realistically; if there are little Asian girls who are barely past 5 yrs old, and can play serious Classical pieces, it's not unfathomable for a 12 yr old Swedish boy to be into Chick Corea's music, and the picking technique/speed of Al Di Meola

Which means he had a few years to practice Di Meola's licks in the mid-70's when he was 12

I agree with you on the young kids playing incredible for their age, hate to say since I don't want to come thru as pretentious, but I know someone like that since before knowing who were di Meola or Yngwie, and yes he played all over alternating even his arpeggios. This is why I know that Yngwie didn't need the existence of di Meola to learn how to play.

Translator, It's all good and I like to know other folks who also enjoy and appreciate real talent. I guess you got some chops too.

After all there isn't a best guitarist for me because I like music in many styles and eras, my taste is very diverse and I prefer compositions in acoustic instruments and lots of harmony. My point was of importance in the last thirty years as in who made the turning point for guitarist to push themselves father technically. I have to make it clear that in no way do I for a second think of Yngwie as in the top of my list of best players in the world of guitar, but as far as in "his" neo-classical style he was indeed the best in the early days. From the list on the poll I'll say Vai, only an ignorant would say otherwise.

Last edited by LAUBURU; 02-20-2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:
This is why I know that Yngwie didn't need the existence of di Meola to learn how to play.
I'm not questioning Malmsteen's ability to reach that level without being influenced by Di Meola, I'm just saying that some of the similarities in thier picking patterns would lead one to believe that he emulated Di Meola, to an extent.

Quote:
but as far as in "his" neo-classical style he was indeed the best in the early days.
In that respect, Malmsteen is truly the pioneer of that genre.

I have many favorites in many different genres, and for the record, Malmsteen and Batio are my favorites in Rock/Metal

Last edited by TheTranslator; 02-20-2013 at 08:19 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADTUNES666 View Post
The funny thing is, if you ask me at ten different points I'll give you ten different answers.

Like now for instance I would say my top guys are

Al Dimeola, Steve vai, Joe Satriani, George Benson...
Nice list. If I were forced to pick just one all time favorite, I'd pick Lenny Breau
Old 02-20-2013, 09:22 PM

Quote:
I'm not questioning Malmsteen's ability to reach that level without being influenced by Di Meola, I'm just saying that some of the similarities in thier picking patterns would lead one to believe that he emulated Di Meola, to an extent.

In that respect, Malmsteen is truly the pioneer of that genre.

I have many favorites in many different genres, and for the record, Malmsteen and Batio are my favorites in Rock/Metal
Totally understand and can relate to that. I never listened to Batio before, I saw him play a solo with two guitars and didn't like it musically so I didn't listen to him until today. You brought him up and decided to see why, I listened to his Randy Rhoads tribute and what a nice piece and guitar tone.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:26 PM

Reviews: 4

Quote:
.....but it was Yngwie directly who turned the world upside down.
Are you are implying that Yngwie was the 1st to turn the world upside down ? If so, that's not really the case, EVH did it 1st....
That just can't be argued. He absolutely took guitar playing to a level unheard of.......1st, before Yngwie .
I will give Yngwie a lot of props for being different. I remember when I 1st heard Far Beyond The Sun, I couldn't believe what I was hearing.
His high note on the 1st string, highest fret sounds like NOBODY to this day...
But, Yngwie is hard to listen to for long periods of time, due to he shows you everything he's got in the 1st 32 bars of the solo, then its the same thing in near every song, but he does what he does well and was a serious innovator........
Still though,it was EVH who turned the world upside down.........1st
Old 02-21-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl2556 View Post
Are you are implying that Yngwie was the 1st to turn the world upside down ? If so, that's not really the case, EVH did it 1st....
That just can't be argued. He absolutely took guitar playing to a level unheard of.......1st, before Yngwie .
I will give Yngwie a lot of props for being different. I remember when I 1st heard Far Beyond The Sun, I couldn't believe what I was hearing.
His high note on the 1st string, highest fret sounds like NOBODY to this day...
But, Yngwie is hard to listen to for long periods of time, due to he shows you everything he's got in the 1st 32 bars of the solo, then its the same thing in near every song, but he does what he does well and was a serious innovator........
Still though,it was EVH who turned the world upside down.........1st

Also Halen shows you all his got in one tune.

Randy Rhoads and Steve Morse ate Van Halen for breakfast. Van Halen didn't send people back into their rooms to get their chops up, he was very original and popular but that in the serious guitar world isn't enough. When Randy was with Ozzy he had all the polls.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:36 PM

Steve Lukather gets my vote by far. He's easily played on more albums and hit tunes than most of these guys combined and is still going strong. He is a very diverse player.

"ate Van Halen for breakfast" - please, no one has ever eaten Van Halen for breakfast - maybe in his drunken drugged up days in the mid 80's but not before and not now.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitvai1 View Post
Steve Lukather gets my vote by far. He's easily played on more albums and hit tunes than most of these guys combined and is still going strong. He is a very diverse player.

"ate Van Halen for breakfast" - please, no one has ever eaten Van Halen for breakfast - maybe in his drunken drugged up days in the mid 80's but not before and not now.
Today technically I consider him a grain of salt.

Show/Hide Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chili Peppers guitarist voted the best of last 30 years Jay777 Chat Forum 61 08-16-2011 07:58 PM
Name a guitarist who has improved in the last 20 years? andyt Players, Bands, People, Music & Tours 25 07-25-2008 06:19 PM
Best guitarist ever? HeavyMetal4Ever Chat Forum 159 03-11-2008 01:14 PM
Which guitarist of the 2? rickcard71 Polls 17 03-15-2007 09:42 AM
Who's this guitarist? mr_tree Multimedia: Music, Pictures & Sounds 15 04-17-2006 07:12 AM

Sitemap:1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29