<back   Jemsite > Off-topic & Polls > Polls

Polls Create forum Polls here or vote in existing polls.

View Poll Results: Best Guitarist of the last 30 years?
Steve Vai 103 31.79%
Slash 4 1.23%
Tom Morello 1 0.31%
Joe Satriani 59 18.21%
John Frusciante 2 0.62%
Jonny Greenwood 1 0.31%
Peter Buck 0 0%
The Edge 0 0%
Kurt Cobain 1 0.31%
Edward Van Halen 54 16.67%
Prince 3 0.93%
Charlie Hunter 2 0.62%
Buckethead 12 3.70%
Derek Trucks 1 0.31%
Other Please post 81 25.00%
Voters: 324. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-22-2013, 08:41 PM

Reviews: 4

Re: Best Guitarist of the last 30 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAUBURU View Post
Also Halen shows you all his got in one tune.
Lol.....that's just not true. How many VH songs do you want me to reference where the is NO tapping and the fast/climbing the string, picking thing as well. I can think of 2 right now, the solo in Mean Streets and in Outa Love are 2 of the best feeling solos ever (especially Outa Love). Look, both guys had great feel & brought something different to the table before anyone else, but Ed's playing is MUCH more tolerable due to his solos are MUCH MORE DIVERSE than Malmsteens.There is no arguing that, it's just fact.
All I' m saying is YM plays fast......ALL the time, a different scale here and there but the fact remains, it's all about speed, which I understand is his gift, BUT....it gets old real quick.
We could start a poll called "Who's Albums Could You Listen To For Hours ,VH or YM?" I would bet most folks would side with EVH.....

I agree that EVH is not the most talented player in the last 30 yrs (just the most innovative), there are many that took guitar playing farther than him. I think Vai is the last to take it to the next level, but he and most folks that like playing rock guitar the way it's played now, ALL have EVH to thank. Yngwie just didn't connect to the masses, his style just didn't/doesn't appeal to as many players.....
Old 02-22-2013, 11:00 PM

Your right, EVH uses the blues which is far easier for most folks. Yngwie stuff I can listen on and on is his debut album, the second one Marching Out and his instrumental pieces. Your points are all ok. I don't mean disrespect towards EVH, out of the out there technical players his one of my favorites too, but I just hate how some of this guys didn't keep pushing their abilities.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl2556 View Post
Are you are implying that Yngwie was the 1st to turn the world upside down ? If so, that's not really the case, EVH did it 1st....
That just can't be argued. He absolutely took guitar playing to a level unheard of.......1st, before Yngwie .
I will give Yngwie a lot of props for being different. I remember when I 1st heard Far Beyond The Sun, I couldn't believe what I was hearing.
His high note on the 1st string, highest fret sounds like NOBODY to this day...
But, Yngwie is hard to listen to for long periods of time, due to he shows you everything he's got in the 1st 32 bars of the solo, then its the same thing in near every song, but he does what he does well and was a serious innovator........
Still though,it was EVH who turned the world upside down.........1st
If you're gonna say Eddie Van Halen, I will one up you and say Steve Hackett. Without him EVH wouldnt even be able to tap and Yngwie wouldnt be able to do sweep arpeggios
Old 02-23-2013, 10:28 AM

Paul gilbert the best.... He can play any guitar and still sounds good.... Tone from fingers
Old 02-23-2013, 10:35 AM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by djanggo View Post
Tone from fingers

Friends always told I have good tone no matter which gear I was using so I guess I have tone in my fingers too.
For some fingers think, they have a brain and even sound
Old 02-23-2013, 10:09 PM

Listen to Indios Tabajaras playing Chopin and other greats in classical guitar, a duo from Brazil that got noticed in very early 1940s. Between their two guitars they had the full piano range. Fast and accurate players, the guy with a pick alternated everything of course, technique for complicated music calls for it. No one invented alternating or sweeping nor speed, all this comes from good talented music and the artist most follow. When I started playing playing guitar to alternate pick was from day one and I didn't listen to rock or jazz music by then. By the time Yngwie came along I was playing his solos, but funny thing I didn't know the sweep arppeggios technique so I was alternating picking all his arppeggio runs!

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned yet the most important person ever in the history of guitar,
Spanish Andres Segovia.

Last edited by LAUBURU; 02-23-2013 at 10:24 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Listen to Indios Tabajaras playing Chopin and other greats in classical guitar, a duo from Brazil that got noticed in very early 1940s. Between their two guitars they had the full piano range. Fast and accurate players, the guy with a pick alternated everything of course, technique for complicated music calls for it. No one invented alternating or sweeping nor speed, all this comes from good talented music and the artist most follow. When I started playing playing guitar to alternate pick was from day one and I didn't listen to rock or jazz music by then. By the time Yngwie came along I was playing his solos, but funny thing I didn't know the sweep arppeggios technique so I was alternating picking all his arppeggio runs!

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned yet the most important person ever in the history of guitar,
Spanish Andres Segovia.
Spanish flamenco guitarists are incredible players. I've listened to some spanish flamenco nad man, they deserve LOTS of credit. They play on classical guitars and basically shred on em.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:03 AM

Spanish flamenco uses stacatto picking style and can shred fast on accoustic nylon strings... But playing electric guitar isnt as simple as that....you need certain technique to shred on electric guitars too... Ive seen ppl shred fast on nylon strings with strong fretting fingers but play badly on guitar with distortion with unclean runs and noises
Old 02-24-2013, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Spanish flamenco uses stacatto picking style and can shred fast on accoustic nylon strings... But playing electric guitar isnt as simple as that....you need certain technique to shred on electric guitars too... Ive seen ppl shred fast on nylon strings with strong fretting fingers but play badly on guitar with distortion with unclean runs and noises
yeah, learning how to use distortion to your advantage is important, along with the tonal quality of the pickups as well. On top of that, crazy techniques like sweeping and tapping :/
Old 02-24-2013, 04:18 AM

I first started playing with steel string accoustic guitar... I learn some classical,blues and pop stuff and begin playing solos on accoustic guitar.. When i first try playing all things i learn from accoustic guitar to electric guitar, i have problems playing it clean and have to relearn all those with different approach playing electric... Such as muting with right hand and left hand...its not easy playing runs of arpeggios on electric guitar with distortions compare to accoustic....the notes will ring all together if you cant mute effectively...
Old 02-24-2013, 06:09 AM

Quote:
I first started playing with steel string accoustic guitar... I learn some classical,blues and pop stuff and begin playing solos on accoustic guitar.. When i first try playing all things i learn from accoustic guitar to electric guitar, i have problems playing it clean and have to relearn all those with different approach playing electric... Such as muting with right hand and left hand...its not easy playing runs of arpeggios on electric guitar with distortions compare to accoustic....the notes will ring all together if you cant mute effectively...
I started on Electric so I would need to relearn how to play on acoustic at some point. Not too interested in it yet. Maybe next year
Old 02-24-2013, 07:53 AM

but my accoustic guitar was using the electric guitar strings 0.09-0.42...so its not that tough playing fast solos or bends...playing accoustic guitars doesnt requires muting much or not at all....im not saying playing accoustic is easier than electric but electric guitar requires more techniques to learn....eg,amp,effects,etc
Old 02-24-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Flamenco is technically the most difficult style to play.

To play Flamenco picados, your fingernails have to be in perfect shape, so the condition and shape of the nails is part of the technique. I've attempted to play Flamenco in the past, but kept breaking my nails to a point where I quit out of frustration. There are some difficult things on electric, but they pale in comparison to Classical and Flamenco - Flamenco especially.

When you say "shred fast on nylon strings," are you talking about guys like McLaughlin who alternate-pick on a Classical guitar, or strait-up Classical and Flamenco players?!? For one; to play on a distorted electric guitar, you can't use finger-picking style of any kind, it must be done with a pick to sound clean.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:

Spanish Andres Segovia.
Well, most of the threads on Jemsite are Rock/Metal based, so it never crossed my mind to mention Segovia. Personally, I'm more into Flamenco players like Victor (Serranito) Monge and Paco De Lucia, who have a lot of fire and intensity, and can play picado runs that rival any alternate-picking Jazz, Fusion or Metal player speed-wise. There's a couple new guys I've seen on YouTube who can smoke on Flamenco also.

Quote:
the guy with a pick alternated everything of course
The guy with the pick kinda sounds like Bireli Lagrene

Last edited by TheTranslator; 02-24-2013 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:06 AM

hm... Slash doesn't know any notes or anything of music theory. Vai knows how to get good sound, melodic songs etc. There are a lot of great guitarists, but I think that Vai is really better than rest

Show/Hide Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chili Peppers guitarist voted the best of last 30 years Jay777 Chat Forum 61 08-16-2011 07:58 PM
Name a guitarist who has improved in the last 20 years? andyt Players, Bands, People, Music & Tours 25 07-25-2008 06:19 PM
Best guitarist ever? HeavyMetal4Ever Chat Forum 159 03-11-2008 01:14 PM
Which guitarist of the 2? rickcard71 Polls 17 03-15-2007 09:42 AM
Who's this guitarist? mr_tree Multimedia: Music, Pictures & Sounds 15 04-17-2006 07:12 AM

Sitemap:1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29