<back   Jemsite > Off-topic & Polls > Polls

Polls Create forum Polls here or vote in existing polls.

View Poll Results: Does JEM/JS = Shredder?
Yes 35 48.61%
No 37 51.39%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-21-2013, 03:46 AM

Does JEM/JS = Shredder?

when you see a player holding one of the above guitars, do you assume he/she will play to a high technical standard that requires the use of these guitars (insert the term 'shredder' if you wish)?

and if they cannot live up to that expectation then would you paint them as a poser, or wonder why they didn't just buy a more traditional guitar?

do you see people using these guitars even though they are not playing music normally associated with them?

cheers
Old 01-21-2013, 04:50 AM

Reviews: 23

Re: Does JEM/JS = Shredder?

I don't mind players of any other genre playing such guitars. As what has been pointed out to me time and time again in these forums, a guitar is a guitar is a guitar.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:36 AM

Reviews: 14

I've seen David Allan Coe playing a Jem, and his isn't known as being a "shredder." A guitar is basically a tool, and people will play what is comfortable or appealing to them.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:56 AM
(a)

I can honestly say I've never seen anyone in any band I've ever seen live, besides Vai playing a Jem or a JS....

But if I did, I would probably just think they were a fan of Vai or Satch at some point. It would be pretty lousy to put down another player just because he owns a Jem or JS and doesn't "shred"
Old 01-21-2013, 09:40 AM

I agree, I play post-rock on a custom 7 string and I've played some really easy stuff on my JS. You buy what product appeals to you and what's comfortable. Not to mention, easy stuff still sounds better with clear pickups etc
Old 01-21-2013, 11:48 AM

Reviews: 5

I'm not saying someone is a shredder or must be a shredder if he owns JEM/JS, but i would assume that.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:58 AM

Reviews: 13

I do believe someone who owns one of these, has a good understanding of the guitar itself, they may not be a shredder, but because these are signature models of the best legato players (in my opinion) the world knows, they must know some of there techniques, so i voted yes.

Also, these guitars cost a lot of money so i do think people who have these guitars are going to know how to play them well right?
Old 01-21-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyansJem View Post
I do believe someone who owns one of these, has a good understanding of the guitar itself, they may not be a shredder, but because these are signature models of the best legato players (in my opinion) the world knows, they must know some of there techniques, so i voted yes.

Also, these guitars cost a lot of money so i do think people who have these guitars are going to know how to play them well right?
that would be my assumption as well, but I'm surprised to see the votes are about even. I thought it would be close to 100% yes.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:49 PM

its not that owning a an Ibanez Jem or a JS Makes you a shredder, its just that when someone spends that little bit more money on a guitar, i just assume your a more serious player, or more advanced.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:16 PM
(a)

I dunno. I don't get out the basement much.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirltop View Post
I can honestly say I've never seen anyone in any band I've ever seen live, besides Vai playing a Jem or a JS....

But if I did, I would probably just think they were a fan of Vai or Satch at some point. It would be pretty lousy to put down another player just because he owns a Jem or JS and doesn't "shred"
The current guitarist of Sonata arctica (his name escapes me) uses both JEMs and UVs. The previous guitarist (Jani Liimatainen) uses JPMs
Old 01-22-2013, 12:23 AM

While there is nothing out there that matches the sheer speed of such a guitar, especially the RG with Wizard neck, the player doesn't have to be fast.

It's a good all around guitar that anybody could enjoy and comes in at all price points. Dexter Holland uses one and he's not a shredder.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyansJem View Post

Compared to a mid-level or advanced beginner's trumpet or sax, all guitars by major makers are cheap. It's not really much for for a kid to go to $800 and get a Satch than getting an RG for $450. Also if you play piano, the cheapest ones available are what we pay for a J-Custom most of the time.

I am looking at bottom basement trumpets and they range from $400 to $3750 and they are all deemed appropriate for beginners with the higher end ones for the occasional semi-pro. The typical semi-pro and pro stuff in trumpets and saxes, the way we would see an Ibanez Premium/Prestige, are really getting up there with the price of cars. Some local part time guys who are retirees and nowhere near being people who get paid anything good have their vintage gem of a trumpet or sax and those things are ridiculously valuable.

More than any other instrument, you will find "nice" and higher end guitars totally appropriate for professionals sitting there unplayed by a rank beginner but on the positive side is that the budding guitarist didn't have to put down a big investment as compared with most other instruments. Only stuff like harmonicas and recorders are more affordable than guitars.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 01-22-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Blazer View Post
Compared to a mid-level or advanced beginner's trumpet or sax, all guitars by major makers are cheap. It's not really much for for a kid to go to $800 and get a Satch than getting an RG for $450. Also if you play piano, the cheapest ones available are what we pay for a J-Custom most of the time.

I am looking at bottom basement trumpets and they range from $400 to $3750 and they are all deemed appropriate for beginners with the higher end ones for the occasional semi-pro. The typical semi-pro and pro stuff in trumpets and saxes, the way we would see an Ibanez Premium/Prestige, are really getting up there with the price of cars. Some local part time guys who are retirees and nowhere near being people who get paid anything good have their vintage gem of a trumpet or sax and those things are ridiculously valuable.

More than any other instrument, you will find "nice" and higher end guitars totally appropriate for professionals sitting there unplayed by a rank beginner but on the positive side is that the budding guitarist didn't have to put down a big investment as compared with most other instruments. Only stuff like harmonicas and recorders are more affordable than guitars.
a very true and yet very dangerous post.

you're right, it's good to consider that perspective. I guess many of us spend the equivalent amount on many different guitars in total, but thinking that way could easily push me over the edge into getting a pricey new one.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracadabra View Post
a very true and yet very dangerous post.

you're right, it's good to consider that perspective. I guess many of us spend the equivalent amount on many different guitars in total, but thinking that way could easily push me over the edge into getting a pricey new one.
I just looked at the Ibanez Jem of saxes, just $29,500 but vintage brass store was closed for some reason.

Show/Hide Posting Rules