<back   Jemsite > Off-topic & Polls > Polls

Polls Create forum Polls here or vote in existing polls.

Old 03-22-2005, 06:44 PM

Re: Does picking speed come from the Wrist or Elbow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Balducci
Hi Ya!!

I know everybody has an opinion on this one...

My thoughts are: It is much much better and easier once you develop the right form to pick from your elbow...

The best thing is to use a combination but more with the elobw is best.

Look at all the fast "good" Guitar players.. John M, Al D. and yes Vinnie M.

It also helps to hold the pick on the side of your index finger and the flat part of your thumb.

When I was doing my wood shedding and what i make my students do who want to develop speed.. is I used to use a wrist brace from a surgical store.. that has a metal peice in it that prevents you from using your wrist.. and I would practice with this on for an hour or two a day and do all my exercises... then I would take it off and play more without it...

It is hard to get used to but for those who take the time to do it and focus the rewards are awesome!!

I hope this helps some of you picking junkies... lol

Im sooooo suprised to hear that rob ive watched your play and to my eyes i see alot of wrist and thumb joint movement, of course you know what you are doin alot better than me lol but from what ive seen i have obviously got the wrong impression on what you seem to do lol silly me would be the best way to look at it lol.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:07 AM

A good measure of both is necessary fellas. Ever see a fast player use ONLY his wrist or elbow????
Old 03-25-2005, 02:52 AM

wrist for me.
Old 03-25-2005, 09:41 AM
(a)

When picking super fast I rest my forearm against the body of the guitar, use a lot of wrist and a little elbow. I can accomplish much faster picking this way. Mainly wrist.
Old 03-26-2005, 04:35 PM

Mainly the wrist for me. Elbow doing little but still doing something. The correct way to play is non-existant though. Neither is better. It's just more likely though that wrist movement is more comfortale, and it is for me. I've gotten alot of Eric Johnson stuff up to speed using the wrist. The "circle" technique (based on fingers and wrist) used by Eric Johnson is probably the fastest, and it gives very little attack (Eric's violin tone is the result) but it is hard to get used to. I still can't do it properly, but I can pick as fast as I want with the wrist based technique I use.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:37 PM

In my training, I found that as Zabooka said, BOTH are necessary. I agree with Balducci to a point also. You must develop strength in both the elbow movement and the circular wrist motion.

It's like throwing a baseball... Try with just the wrist, it won't get far. Try with just the arm, and it will get farther, but won't be that accurate. The fluid motion of the power from the arm, down to the wrist giving the last flick is the key to power. When watching professionals it's hard to see this arm motion sometimes but it's usually there. If you want more instructions etc. Talk to Ney Mello (a somewhat famous Jazz guitarist).

I would spend a few hours practicing with my wrist held firm, as Balducci said, to improve the elbow action strength, then Holding the elbow firm, practice the wrist. I found it greatly cleaned up my playing...notes where more defined and picked cleaner. It also made playing faster easier.

Now honestly whatever works for you, works for you...there is no absolute right or wrong way. Remember, speed isn't everything!
Old 04-01-2005, 04:56 PM

How to train to use only wrist? Lock my arm or something? How on earth do I do that?
When stuff gets fast I'll start using my elbow......

Last edited by Azrael; 04-04-2005 at 02:24 PM.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:15 AM

Having studied Alexander Technique for 6 years, I have now developed an almost hyper-awareness of how the muscles in my body work (or don't work). It's just one of those side effects of Alexander technique.

I stopped playing guitar for almost 5 years due to back/neck/hand problems, and after taking it up again, it became clear to me that good picking technique is an ultimately personal thing, as we all work mechanically differently from each other.

The important thing from an AT point of view is not to tense up any of the muscles involved (which is pretty much every muscle in your body in one way or another) and that comes primarily from the way you hold your head and neck. So if you get it wrong there, the rest is doomed anyway. So for me, good picking technique is having my neck free and being super relaxed. This in turn enforces good posture which is crucial for any guitar tecnique for me, and good picking technique is inevitable in this case - either everything is free and fluid or its not.

This raises an interesting phenomena that I have recently started experiencing: that good technique is not necessarily a case of burning notes for hours on end, but naturally develops with good posture and use of the body. I can testify to that because after taking up guitar after a 5 year absence, my picking speed was faster and more fluid on that first session than it was 5 years previous. Granted, I'm no robopicker but I'm not too bad.

Getting back to the poll subject, I use both my elbow and wrist, aiming for the position of mechanically least resistance at all times.

Cheers,

Dave
Old 04-06-2005, 02:33 PM

You know I've got a bit better with the fingers and that is really, really fast. But you can't pick as hard as either of the other methods.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:07 AM

I guess I use my elbow when I want to make the jump to hyper-speed. It's not like my forearm is flailing out of control. It's very tight and little movement. When I'm standing or playing with a band I'm pretty sure I never use my elbow because I wear my guitar somewhat low. It's just when i'm by myself, practicing & sitting and I want to hear some really fast notes.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:29 PM

I use my, roughly, entire forearm. I keep my wrist very straight, kinda like Fransisco Fareri, if you've seen him. I actually use roughly the same hand position, with like the last three fingers straight. I get a lot more speed and accuracy, and strength, from using my arm. I guess I kinda get it from playing piano - you learn to use energy from your entire arm, rather than just your fingers or wrist. *shrugs* But, I guess it comes down to what you feel comfortable with.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:21 PM

wrist all the way
Old 04-26-2005, 01:20 PM

Dino from Fear Factory uses his wrist. I've seen them a good 3 times when he was in the band. Always the wrists.

I've developed all the worst habbits and had to correct them...

I think the elbow tenses up, and travel is limited, so it creates an illusion your playing faster with more power. I used to use elbow for that reason. Now i kick myself because wrist feels so unnatural. I'm now forcing the wrist though.

I used to not use pinkie. Now after 8 years I started to (it developed quickly i might add).

I used to pick with my index and ring finder tips holding the pick to my thumb. The pick was backwards. I think zack wyld does this. I soon realized its not a good idea, because its harder to control. Now the past 3 years i've been able to change to using thumb holding pick to side of index finger.

So yea, correct your bad habbits while you can. I think the wrist is the correct way. It's easier to swing a 6" bat back and fourth than a 6' bat.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:27 PM

I think the good Dr. Funkenstein is totally correct on this one. Relaxation is the biggest key to a fluid picking technique. The elbow is definitely involved, I guess my earlier post could be misleading. When I think of "elbow picking" I think of locking the wrist and all the picking motion comes from the elbow. That's how my old teacher picked, and he was an Al D disciple, which is where he got it from. I love most of Al D's stuff, but I still find the more emotional players (IMHO) to have a more fluid picking style that seems to flow from the whole arm but especially the wrist.

So, I guess the key points are 1) relax and 2) take the time to figure out what works best for you which will probably involve lots of experimenting.

Roger
Old 04-30-2005, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Funkenstein
The important thing from an AT point of view is not to tense up any of the muscles involved (which is pretty much every muscle in your body in one way or another) and that comes primarily from the way you hold your head and neck.
Could this be why I've been noticing a MARKED improvement in picking accuracy and cleanliness after a half a bottle of red wine? Or am I just drunk, so i notice less?

-D

Show/Hide Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Picking Technique baileyk85 Guitar Lessons & Music Theory 5 03-26-2003 07:39 PM
Is my picking technique flawed? Willin Guitar Lessons & Music Theory 5 10-01-2002 01:13 AM
speed excercises yurich Guitar Lessons & Music Theory 23 07-14-2002 06:18 PM
Picking Styles - So many picking styles... Galtero Guitar Lessons & Music Theory 2 03-30-2002 07:28 PM
Chromatic/Alternate Picking - Need some advice. neverend Guitar Lessons & Music Theory 4 01-23-2002 10:09 PM

Sitemap:1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29