ESP VS Ibanez! - Page 4 - Jemsite
<back   Jemsite > Off-topic & Polls > Polls
Polls Create forum Polls here or vote in existing polls.

Old 07-12-2006, 08:05 PM
(a)

Re: ESP VS Ibanez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex
ESP - right now you can get the ESP MII (RG15xx/25xx equivalent) in 3 solid colours (alder), 3 stains (ash) and in Camo, neck thru option, choice of maple or rosewood fretboards on the stains (ebony on the solid colours) and a choice of SD or EMG pickups and coil tap on the tone knob.
Also ESP have a custom shop and are not affraid to make "grown up" guitars

ilia

I haven't played any ESP MII's (or any others for that matter), but the comparison doesn't seem fair. The RG15xx/25xx's are going for US$ 650-850, while the basic black MII is selling for around $1200. Price-wise the only ESP
competition seems to be in the LTD series, which everyone seems to dislike.
ESP has it over Ibanez on design ideas, but for value, I'll stick with the Prestige RGs.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:42 PM

althogh a M-III is a great guitar its about 1,200$ and i'd rather buy a PGM for that much
Old 07-12-2006, 09:23 PM
(a)
Classified Watchdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_UV777
althogh a M-III is a great guitar its about 1,200$ and i'd rather buy a PGM for that much
I don't know why everyone is knocking the LTD's. There are some great LTD's.

Old 07-12-2006, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxadam
I don't know why everyone is knocking the LTD's. There are some great LTD's.

im not knocking LTD's I owned a LTD EC 1000 (les paul with emg's) it was great! not a thing wrong with it IMO
Old 07-12-2006, 09:34 PM

I played an LTD AX 250 and it was great. Looks bad ass and plays it too.

Edit: Damn the MH-400NT looks awesome. Id probably take the baritone though but DAMN that so isnt dull. Hear that Ibanez? Isn't dull. Although Ibanez has a bunch of great colours right now like Violin Flat and a few others but the rest are just so plain.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:55 PM

totally off topic:

but we have had some pretty good debates this month on Jemsite..

Back on topic:

I still stand I prefer Ibanez
Old 07-12-2006, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezcollector
totally off topic:

but we have had some pretty good debates this month on Jemsite..

Back on topic:

I still stand I prefer Ibanez
We have had a lot of good debates. Some of them very informative. Some one them just not.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:45 PM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.WizardNeck
We have had a lot of good debates. Some of them very informative. Some one them just not.
Oh go eat a burger, Wizzard.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef21
Oh go eat a burger, Wizzard.
Go eat a live oyster.

Last edited by Mr.WizardNeck; 07-12-2006 at 11:52 PM..
Old 07-14-2006, 04:51 AM

Re: Ibanez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltwin
I should have been more clear on this, I can't stand the 'high' profile OFR, as there is a low profile version (FR-pro http://www.floydrose.com/pro.html) I don't understand why they keep putting the OFR (equivalent to the original Edge) on everything. Is it the fact that the FR-pro string spacing is 5% less??

I could understand it, if they put the OFR on certain signature models (if the endorsee prefers the OFR, I know some people on this site prefer the Edge to the LoPro)

If they don't use the FR-pro, because they think it isn't as good as the OFR, that is another reason to prefer Ibanez, as the LoPro is damn near perfect, the Edge pro comes close

The Ibanez trems (Edge/LoPro/Edge pro) also have a snap-in arm, and more importantly a separate knife-edge insert. It is very clear that Ibanez took the FR design and tried to improve on it, at which they succeeded IMHO. The Edge pro, with even lower porfile and intonation chips being the next step.

To me the trem is one of the most important pieces on a guitar and was the prime reason to purchase a Jem (and not a similarly priced &BMM/F&nder/G!bson etc.) The neck is the other strongpoint on Ibanezzes, I've already referred to the KH2 fingerboard, the good thing is they build a lot of heelless Neck-throughs. The bad news is that (for example) the neck-through KH-2 is ~$700 more expensive than the bolt-on, which is not an all-access type.
The original floyd feels better imo, as does the original edge as compared to the lo-profile version. Ive been using floyds since i was a kid and the profile has never bothered me, i have seen some people who do place their hands further behind the bridge on strat style guitars i guess but to each his own. The floyd rose pro wasnt originally designed by floyd rose himself thoughw as it? It was designed by fender engineers?
Old 07-14-2006, 04:55 AM

Re: Ibanez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr
OFRs have a hardened plate, they don't need hardened inserts. The Edges are cast, so they are softer metal, therefore they need the hardened inserts. It's also why the saddles wear out alot faster on the Edges, I've seen some where alot of the metal had worn away, not just the finish. Edges tend to have a warmer tone due to the softer metal, the OFRs are a little brighter.

I'm not saying one is better than the other, just clarifying facts.
Theirs more overall mass in the edge as well. Comparing the two different trems in the same guitar is the best way to tell. The edge has alot more bottom end, but the original floyd does have some nice shimmering highs the edge doesnt. I was told once that the inserts help correct intonation issues that occur when the guitar is fine tuned as well, so thats a definite improvement over the original design. The original edge design didnt have these at all, and with proper care ive seen them last for years so to each his own.
Old 07-14-2006, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowfall
I haven't played any ESP MII's (or any others for that matter), but the comparison doesn't seem fair. The RG15xx/25xx's are going for US$ 650-850, while the basic black MII is selling for around $1200. Price-wise the only ESP
competition seems to be in the LTD series, which everyone seems to dislike.
ESP has it over Ibanez on design ideas, but for value, I'll stick with the Prestige RGs.
I have to say that I 100% agree with that point.
ESP are shooting themselves in the foot by pricing LTD models as high as Prestige Ibanez and Jackson USA guitars.
It's very dificult to understand why they are doing it when I distinctly remember only 2-3 years ago MII Standard could be had for &#163;600 and you got a real FR and SD pickups for that (Rockers on Denmark Street had them) which was a great price considering the RG1550/1570 was &#163;500 at the same time and had the V7/S1/V8 pickups.

I'm the type of guy that brings an ESP to Jemjams and even to Jemfest but I have to admit that Ibanez offer better value for money without a doubt.

What puzzles me is that Jackson offer even better value for money (&#163;330 buys you a Japanese made DK2 with SD pickups) but they are still strugling to match even ESP's LTD brand when it comes to popularity.
There are a lot of mentaly challenged people out there who would rather spend &#163;600 on a Korean made LTD that will lose 50% of it's price the second you walk out the store then get a more tangible instrument like an Ibanez or a Jackson.

Fender, on the other hand puts all these companys to shame with the Highway 1 range.
I can walk into my local store and grab a USA made strat for &#163;485 - I know it doesn't look pointy and all that but the value you get is phenomenal.

Bottom line for me is if I could afford anythig I wanted ESP will get all my money but in the real world - Ibanez and Jackson offer a lot more for your &#163;&#163;&#163;.

ilia
Old 07-14-2006, 09:08 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex
(..)
What puzzles me is that Jackson offer even better value for money (330 buys you a Japanese made DK2 with SD pickups) but they are still strugling to match even ESP's LTD brand when it comes to popularity.
(..)
I think that Ibanez has a small hole in it's RG line-up:

between a $400 MIK RG350 and an $800 MIJ RG2550 there is only the $700 MIK neck through RGT42.
Old 07-14-2006, 03:13 PM

Reviews: 1

I think Ibanez has lost for many (myself included) its biggest selling point which is the Edge trem. It's evolved, yes, but I think the unshaking confidence in tuning stability has gone along with the locking studs. (rightly or wrongly)

I'd still take a JEM7V over pretty much anything I can buy in a store from ESP, but thats cos I like the shape of the JEM, but I think overall Ibanez has 2 guitars (the JEM7V and the JS1200) that interest me a hell of a lot, and ESP has many more lower price guitars that interest me a little bit.
Old 07-14-2006, 07:17 PM

Cool

If it's the locking studs/posts that you are concerned with, those other guitars won't help you either...take this one step further and you can say that an $850 RG2550 with trem post modification is better than *any* Jackson or ESP (whether it's $600 or $2600), unless you get those modded as well (not sure if that works ?)

Show/Hide Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how many Ibanez guitars do you own? spacenuke Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums) 1687 09-19-2015 08:15 PM
Tell us about you guitar setup/rig Everyone!!! GuitarWizard Gear and Equipment 623 03-28-2013 06:41 PM
Ibanez & Vai timeline of events - working together jemsite Archived Topics and Common Questions - GO HERE FIRST 16 04-02-2009 02:38 PM
for trade , ibanez usrg30 j.arledge Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 2 03-07-2006 09:14 PM
FS:\ Ibanez HR Giger w/ Ibanez case NEW!!! rikkbeatty Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 2 02-20-2006 01:17 PM

Sitemap:1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29