ESP VS Ibanez! - Page 7 - Jemsite
Polls Create forum Polls here or vote in existing polls.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 139 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 10:35 AM

Reviews: 1
Re: ESP VS Ibanez!

It's wrong, because all you've posted is what you prefer for the sound and feel of a guitar. Qualitative, not quantitative. It's not "better" to have a certain construction, it's simply "different" etc. etc.

I prefer a different construction, neck profile and finish, and type of body wood etc. So for me the ESPs i've tried don't have any of the things a guitar "should" need.

The Ibanez JEM I normally play not only matches, but exceeds the ESP Horizon I tried in terms of looks and sound. The ESP was very nice, but far from "perfection".

QED.
jono is online  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 139 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 10:36 AM

I've never played an esp.
post #93 of 139 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
It's wrong, because all you've posted is what you prefer for the sound and feel of a guitar. Qualitative, not quantitative. It's not "better" to have a certain construction, it's simply "different" etc. etc.

I prefer a different construction, neck profile and finish, and type of body wood etc. So for me the ESPs i've tried don't have any of the things a guitar "should" need.

The Ibanez JEM I normally play not only matches, but exceeds the ESP Horizon I tried in terms of looks and sound. The ESP was very nice, but far from "perfection".

QED.
firstly people always go on about bolt on action is better... and of course i was speaking about the qualitative of both guitars this is what this poll is about right... for quantitative you have to narrow down on this because i really don't know what you mean when you say this. well i can't comment you when you talk about differences because i'm just here to say what i want to say. neck thru body construction you get a better sound and better sustain from the top of the guitar to the bottom. unlike the bolt on, the sound of the guitar stops right a the bottom on the neck where the bolts are. i can keep on going giving maybe 20 points why neck thru body is better like the vibration of the strings and so on.

with the ESP horizon you can get an ash body or solid mahogany these are the two types that i know of anyway. look at their custom shop of ESP on Google and cheek out the guitars they make unbelievable man, now look at Ibanez custom guitars... there's my point.

well okay. the horizon doesn't have that 3rd pick up in the middle but it's not really needed so i don't see the point. at the end it's really what you like and dislike but overall at the end of this we both got our own opinions. so i'll still say ESP is the best yo.
post #94 of 139 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 01:40 PM

Reviews: 2

What you should say is simply that you like ESP better not that they are the best.

I think both companies make great guitars but I prefer Ibanez. I do wish they made more Neck Throughs because I enjoy the extra upper fret access and sustain gained from them. I like the sound of basswood more than Ash though.
post #95 of 139 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 06:11 AM

Actually, I think you can quantitate some parts of this discussion if you wanted to. First off though, I may be a noob to this board but I have been playing for 21 years so I am definitely not new to guitars. I played the first EVER JEMs back in 1987, that was great. Anyway, if you look at who has sold more guitars for their main styles (i.e. RG style for Ibanez and the MII/Horizon/Soloist style for ESP) then it is definitely Ibanez. The RG is the #2 selling guitar in the world behind the Fender Stratocaster. I mean we all have Steve Vai to thank for the RG because Vai designed the JEM right? Well, the RG (I am almost certain) is a toned down version of the JEM. Either way Ibanez sells more guitars than ESP.

Now, if you want to look at possible options, the ESP wins hands down. You can get ANYTHING you want for the right price. Ibbys are more wallet friendly but they don't sacrifice quality. I currently have an LTD and I really like it, except for one thing. I have really LARGE hands and reaching the upper frets, even on a neck through is VERY hard. That is the great thing about an RG/JEM, is that the lower horn of the guitar is scooped out more and larger for higher fret access for people with larger hands, like Steve Vai (remember he scooped out the lower horn on the Green Meanie (not sure of name) guitar) to play better. I have owned a Jackson soloist and my LTD is almost a carbon copy of that with neck through and everything.

The neck issue is a matter of preference. If you like the AANJ and wizard necks then great. If you like the neck though designs from ESP, then great. I like both and will have any Ibanez as soon as I get the money.

The trem's are another thing. I remember playing a JEM when I was 12 and loving the oringinal Edge's because they didn't hit my hands as much. I had an OFR on a Kramer (back when everybody put OFR's on everything) and I would always hit the tuners.

Other than the number of guitars sold, it is hard to say which is better based on anything other than personal preference. I like both. I am still to this day infatuated with JEM's and Vai's playing. But at the same time, ESP's can get the best metal tones I have ever heard, but Ibbys are great for soloing. Who cares, play what you like, that's why we have so many options.
post #96 of 139 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 05:35 AM

Well there are really two types of ESP's. The domestic Japanese models and the type that gets exported. And there is a difference in the quality of the two with the domestic range being of better quality to the exported range. Thats not to say the exported ones are bad but you can't help but feel a bit shunned sometimes. I have owned a few jems old and new and currently own three custom shop ESP's and a standard and the customs shops are the best guitars I have ever played. But I still love my jems for what they can do. I mean there is a totally different vibe to them that the ESP's cant touch. Quality wise id say the export ESP's are overall better than Ibanez though...
post #97 of 139 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 01:10 PM

I've only ever played ESP's, only now am i giving Ibanez a shot and since whenever i pick any other guitar apart from ESP it's not comfortable to play. I'd have to say ESP wins my vote.
post #98 of 139 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trex257 View Post
Anyway, if you look at who has sold more guitars for their main styles (i.e. RG style for Ibanez and the MII/Horizon/Soloist style for ESP) then it is definitely Ibanez.
I don't think you can use numbers sold as any way of saying which is a better guitar. Lots of crappy things are popular. Unless you want to say that Britney Spears is one of the best musicians ever.
post #99 of 139 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 05:09 PM

this is a bias poll. on the jemsite, where Ibanez fans are everywhere we are going to say Ibanez(mostly). exactly like was stated many a time before on the ESP site forum they're going to sayESP is the best. that is just my opinion. though i must agree that Ibanez Rules!
post #100 of 139 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 08:59 PM

put me down for carrots
post #101 of 139 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 11:59 PM

Oh yes, carrots.
post #102 of 139 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 12:37 AM

I had three ESPs. I had two Mirage Customs and a Horizon. But then I got a Ibanez JPM and I ignored the other guitars. I ended up selling the Horizon and the Mirages just because I never played them because the JPM was and is a better guitar. They were all neck thru guitars its just that the JPM with the AANJ and dimarzios sounded better and played better. Plus the lo pro bridge is a lot better.
post #103 of 139 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 11:03 AM

owning a bunch of each..i would have to say esp has it for custom and signature pieces where ibanez has it for bang for the buck..ltd's suck ass..way to much money for crap where as a 1000.00 ibanez is a killer instrument with high grade parts and craftsmanship..they both have different feels and sound to them..i love the fact you can have esp custom make you a guitar where as with ibanez you cant..yes i believe esp's are over priced on a lot of models..i remember buying my first kamakazi in 87 for 1000.00..crazy money back then..now you cant touch a new one for less than 2500.00..ibanez has stayed more realistic with there prices..ibanez also wins for sigs..where esp will basically gives anyone a sig..look at there line-up!..it comes down to preference..there are days all i will play are my jems and other days its my lynch's and customs..for the money and jems ibanez..for the customs and lynch's its esp
post #104 of 139 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 08:41 AM

Reviews: 1

I tried a Kamikaze-1 at the weekend and have to say it was a superb guitar absolutely great, the neck was to die for with a lowish action and no buzz at all, nice smooth fret ends and everything. but the guitar just didn't speak to me like some of the Ibanez guitars do, which is a shame.

I think if ESP made JEMs, that's what I'd go for
jono is online  
post #105 of 139 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 07:52 AM

Smile Re: ESP VS Ibanez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trex257 View Post
I currently have an LTD and I really like it, except for one thing. I have really LARGE hands and reaching the upper frets, even on a neck through is VERY hard. That is the great thing about an RG/JEM, is that the lower horn of the guitar is scooped out more and larger for higher fret access for people with larger hands, like Steve Vai (remember he scooped out the lower horn on the Green Meanie (not sure of name) guitar) to play better. I have owned a Jackson soloist and my LTD is almost a carbon copy of that with neck through and everything.
Thanks for mentioning this. It was a problem for me too. 10 years ago I cut off the lower horn of my first Squier. Used to tell my friends it's a prototype Jaguar. LOL!

Tags
alder body , alexi laiho , coil tap , custom shop , edge trem , edge tremolo system , esp mii , floyd rose , floyd rose pro , ibanez guitars , ibanez trem , jem neck , les paul , locking stud , locking studs , locking tremolo , music store , neck thru , playing guitar , production model , rosewood fretboard , rosewood fretboards , scalloped neck , sounding guitar , strat style , strat style guitar , tremolo system , vintage strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode