Favorite shredder?? - Jemsite
Polls Create forum Polls here or vote in existing polls.

View Poll Results: Who is your favorite shredder?
Joe Satriani 58 20.21%
Steve Vai 73 25.44%
Vinnie Moore 15 5.23%
Paul Gilbert 106 36.93%
Tony MacAlpine 12 4.18%
Yngwie Malmsteen 43 14.98%
Shawn Lane 23 8.01%
John Petrucci 45 15.68%
Andy Timmons 15 5.23%
Greg Howe 10 3.48%
Al Di Meola 9 3.14%
Steve Morse 6 2.09%
Richie Kotzen 7 2.44%
Rusty Cooley 8 2.79%
George Lynch 18 6.27%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 287. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 136 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Favorite shredder??

Who's your favorite instrumental/shred guitarist. Feel free to post the names of anyone I missed. I'm always on the lookout for new guitarists to inspire me (and occasionally make feel inadequate)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 136 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 09:30 AM

Re: Favorite shredder??

I voted for Shawn Lane. Some you left off are Guthrie Govan,Jason Becker,Buckethead,Alex Skolnick,Reb Beach,Jeff Loomis,Chris Broderick,Michael Angelo Batio,Chris Impellitteri,Michael Romeo and probably many many more. Great list though I like almost all of them.
post #3 of 136 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 11:29 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

George Lynch! Steve Vai is my #2...
post #4 of 136 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 12:16 PM
Banned

and its a landslide in favour of mr vai lol.yes some great guitarists named in the poll,no evh though ????? you got to have eddie in the mix
post #5 of 136 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 12:30 PM

Reviews: 6
Thumbs up Re: Favorite shredder??

Paul Gilbert!
post #6 of 136 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 02:30 PM

They're all great shredders. G3 in Denver really showcases Yngwie's chops- he just ran circles around Steve and Joe in that one IMHO.

After attending a whole-day Master Class with Satch I now have a personal connection with him and guess I'd lean more toward Joe as an overall player - he's just one of the nicest, down to earth guys I've ever met.
post #7 of 136 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 02:53 PM

Skolnick without a doubt!
post #8 of 136 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 03:23 PM

Reviews: 2

What about Orianthe? Something about her eyes...
post #9 of 136 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 03:26 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob777vdy View Post
and its a landslide in favour of mr vai lol.yes some great guitarists named in the poll,no evh though ????? you got to have eddie in the mix
Well, currently tied for second with Yngvie - behind the inimitable Mr. Satch and Mr.Big (yeah, I know - don't bother to correct me)..
post #10 of 136 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemaholic View Post
They're all great shredders. G3 in Denver really showcases Yngwie's chops- he just ran circles around Steve and Joe in that one IMHO.
Tbh, I always thought Yngwie was quite sloppy on that DVD. I think Vai's triple neck solo (the six string part) is probably the most technique heavy part of the DVD.

That said, Yngwie was kicking and throwing his guitar around, he was more interested in putting on a show than getting every note perfect. Lord knows when he's more relaxed or recording he's phenomenally clean.

From the list, I voted for Shawn Lane, but I prefer Eric Johnson, Brett Garsed and Allan Holdsworth.
post #11 of 136 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 04:03 PM

My 2 fave guitarists are Paul Gilbert and Vinnie Moore. I'm into all the shred/neoclassical players.
post #12 of 136 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

I can't believe I forgot Jason Becker! I'm so ashamed
post #13 of 136 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

[quote=jemaholic;1006285]They're all great shredders. G3 in Denver really showcases Yngwie's chops- he just ran circles around Steve and Joe in that one IMHO.
quote]

I thought Yngwie was awful at that show. It demonstrated how unversitile a player he is. He played over little wing the same way he'd play over black star. By sweeping arpeggios like he's trying to win some award for out of place, shoe-horned shredding.
post #14 of 136 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 07:35 PM

[QUOTE=DanMeagher;1006338]
Quote:
quote]

I thought Yngwie was awful at that show. It demonstrated how unversitile a player he is. He played over little wing the same way he'd play over black star. By sweeping arpeggios like he's trying to win some award for out of place, shoe-horned shredding.
This is an excellent point in what makes someone a great player its not just how fast you play or how technically proficient you are,or how well you copy other peoples music a lot of it is what you choose to play and write.Being versatile,having a sense of melody and musicality these areas are what seperated a you tube wunderkind from an actual great player.Like to me Rusty Cooley is about as technically proficient and fast as is humanly possible but I dont like almost anything I have heard him play.He lacks musicality to me just sounds a whirlwind of buzzsawing notes.The area of musicality is where players like Satch,Vai,Lane,Timmons and Petrucci really excel to me.
post #15 of 136 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 04:13 PM

[quote=DanMeagher;1006338]
Quote:
quote]

Yngwie playing Neil Youngs "Rockin in the free world" what a mismatch.
And did you notice how many times he would sling his strat 180 degrees
over his shoulder..... a bit over done.

Tags
favorite shredder shred

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode