The guitars you regret missing out on - Page 5 - Jemsite
Polls Create forum Polls here or vote in existing polls.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 10:17 AM

Re: The guitars you regret missing out on

almost won a les paul custom for~$900 it was green burst (iguana or something) very nice figured quilted maple top all gold hardware kind of like this one
http://loviesguitars.com/product/gib...st-green-used/
oh well didn't need another guitar anyway right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 01:07 AM

The Ibanez I should have also purchased back in the early 1980s was the AS200 like Scofield's main guitar. I think back then they were around $700 dollars which I thought was too high at the time as a high school kid.

The non-Ibanezes I should have purchased was back in the middle of the 1980s when there were a couple of well used, dinged up, early-1970s strats that nobody wanted since it was all about pre-CBS back then. The pawn shop had them for $295 each and they took forever to get sold.
post #63 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 04:54 PM

I have a couple

The first notable was back in 1997 or 1998 I was on the way to the beach, stopped and grab lunch in a plaza down in Wrightsville Beach NC and there happened to be a Guitar shop. Went in to check out what they had and on the sales floor was a ESP Explorer, lawsuit edition, brand new in white. Nearly identical to what James Hatfield would have played for $900. The store was closing down and marked all their merchandise down. I walked away and have regretted not getting it to this day.

The second was an Ibanez JEM in Lochness Green. It hurts me to think about it. It was back in about 1988-89 and I remember I was in high school at the time so I had no money, or at least no real money. My local shop, Matt Smiths Morrell Music, had been getting in Ibanez guitars for some time and I remember seeing the Lochness Green on the wall for just under $1000. The owner wanted it to move and offered me a chance to layaway the guitar for basically nothing and at the time I could not get over the color. To this day the Lochness Green has been my white whale. I should have begged my mom to buy that guitar....
post #64 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 09:57 AM

The Jems I foolishly sold last year What made it worse was a notorious flipper that uses this site ended up with a few and listed em on ebay at over inflated prices.
post #65 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 03:18 PM

Thought I'd already posted here, but... I have two.

1) More than a decade ago, I was in my old local shop out in western Mass, and saw a cool looking RG they had hanging up. It was what looked like an alder body, quilted maple top, trans purple finish a little sun-faded but still pretty cool looking, with real Dimarzios and a slightly thicker than normal neck that was ppretty comfy. Sounded awesome too. There was something funky up with the neck, though, where there was this little metal insert where the headstock met the neck - I thought maybe it was a really weird headstock repair or something, I couldn't figure out what it was but it made me nervous enough that the $400 price seemed a bit much. I was home from college for the weekend, so I left the guitar in the shop, drove back up to school, and literally that next week saw a picture of a USRG. It was gone the next time I was there.

2) A couple years ago, I bought a RG1527 used off a local forum member on a different board. I wasn't really in the market but it was a cool looking guitar, had Dimarzios, and he kept cutting the price, so finally I offered to buy it from him at the price a cut or two before (I think I paid $450 or $500 for a guitar he'd just cut to $400). Bought him dinner too when we met up to do the handoff - he was in school, needed the money, and it seemed like the right thing to do. To this day, I've never played an Ibanez with a better neck - not my 7620, not my 2027, not my 762, not my PWH, not even my CST (note that I only still own the PWH and 762). The thing smoked, and was just such an obscenely well made guitar, but unfortunately I absolutely could not get on with the DActivators. So, I sold it to another buddy of mine locally, who eventually traded it to another forum member out in CO. A couple months went by and we were both starting to kick ourselves because we kept talking about how awesome the neck was, so my buddy got in touch with the guy he'd done the trade with, but he'd sold or traded it away and had lost track of the guitar. Best neck I've ever played on an Ibby - had I just swapped pickups, it probably would have been my PWH that got sold, and not the 1527.

Incidently, if any of you ever see a blue 1527 with an impossible to remove "top secret" sticker behind the bridge and white DActivators, tell me.
post #66 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 05:46 PM

GMC Jem, the store owner claims the Ibanez rep screwed him, so he was stuck with a lot of Ibanez guitars he couldn't move. Had a GMC he offered to sell me for $1000. I was in HS making $4.25/hr like 10-15 hours a week, and couldn't get my parents to loan me the $100 down payment he needed for me to take it home
post #67 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 01:04 PM

Reviews: 15

The regret is usually short lived, since another opportunity comes along for that same model guitar, or another guitar that I'd really like to have. Depending on how much I want it, it would either jump on the opportunity, or miss it. Usually when I miss one, I find that I really don't think about it much after a couple of days. If I'm still thinking about it, I bookmark some links with that same model in CL and EB.
post #68 of 71 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 09:13 PM

*ESP Maverick in Pearl White. Was in the music store where I started taking lessons, didn't have anywhere near the $800 for it, nor the skills for such an axe back then...
*Epiphone G1275 double neck for $500 brand new. Spotted it at a Daddy's Junky Music store and had noticed the crazy price tag. When I asked about it, it was correct and they wanted to move it at their cost price. Still wish I could have found a way to come up with that money for that...
post #69 of 71 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 08:45 AM

RG2027X, RG7CST, RG550DSY
post #70 of 71 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 04:30 PM

A few years ago I sold my 96 blue metal flake RG570 to a guy up in the SF Bay Area, on the off chance that the person who bought it still has it I've love to have it back lol. I still think that is the best playing guitar I've ever touch. No fret buzzing, super low action, I've played dozens of other Ibanez, but that one....
post #71 of 71 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 08:58 PM

Reviews: 4

The JEM 10th on clearance...

Tags
dean , jackson , prs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode