<back   Jemsite > Off-topic & Polls > Polls

Polls Create forum Polls here or vote in existing polls.

View Poll Results: What do you think?
What?! Slash a total Leg-end! 34 15.25%
He was good back in the day, and still pretty cool 60 26.91%
He was good back in the day, but not as good as everyone made out 40 17.94%
The guy is over-rated 89 39.91%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-01-2013, 01:20 PM

Re: Is Slash over-rated?

they blew it. well AXL did I guess
Old 02-02-2013, 10:00 AM

Reviews: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
I think the distinction needs to be drawn squarely between being a superlative technical player and a legend.

Slash is a legend these days mainly for well... being Slash, how well he plays is no longer an issue
This is what came to my mind also. Slash is a legend for being Slash and not his playing.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:25 AM

he's good player, not as good as Vai or somebody else, but really good too
Old 03-23-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton View Post
Dear God, can't we have a civil conversation?

There is not one among us who would not give a testicle to have the musical carrier that Slash has enjoyed.

Is he a Paul Gilbert or Shawn Lane, no of course not. However if you stop 20 kids in the mall tomorrow and ask them who's name they recognize out of the three, Slash wins it every time.

If you don't think Slash is all that talented, thats fine, I can respect that. However, don't think for a second that kids 15 years from now wont be in their bedrooms butchering "Sweet Child O Mine" on their new Christmas present.

Oh, and for the record, in GnR, Slash may have been the sizzle, but Izzy was the steak.

Thank you, and I love you all.
Well put
Old 03-23-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsawesome View Post
hahah they all were, Duff looked AWFUL on that dvd

For sure, I thought he was going to keel over and die. His vocals... ah man. Axl (and hell, all of them) have some pretty bad moments on that DVD. Also the feedback was terrible.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:39 PM

I think he's written some great r'n'r songs.
But, I think the label that gets thrown around a lot,
"The Best Blues Player in Rock" is way overblown.
Angus Young, for my money, is a much better
"blues" guitarist than Slash.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:35 AM

Slash is a great guitar player for the style of music he plays. He is also a great song writer. His last couple of solo albums were great (the first one was better). He has come up with some amazing riffs. I'd much rather listen to him than most of the shred stuff thats come out over the last 10 years. Maybe, its because of my age or something, but now days, I'd rather listen to great guitars playing in a great song than amazingly technical playing in a crappy song (with most shred songs seem to be these days)...
Old 03-24-2013, 09:22 AM

Reviews: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchie View Post
(...) but now days, I'd rather listen to great guitars playing in a great song than amazingly technical playing in a crappy song (with most shred songs seem to be these days)...
That's exactly how I feel today.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:20 AM

In terms of technical abilities, yeah, he's overrated. But I've always liked his work of memorable melodies and solos. He was one of few players who pushed me into guitar.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:05 PM

Reviews: 12
Red face

It seems to me that all guitarists are over rated, unless they've saved lives, fought crime, cured cancer, fixed global warming, and put out forest fires...
Old 05-11-2013, 12:35 PM

Sure made a lot of money and Im sure has loads of fun, after that does it really matter?...
Old 05-12-2013, 04:15 PM

slash is the first lead player for the gunners and I think slashes styles really suited that band ,...
overrated ,..no

do I like him ,..not really

does any one know the name of the guy that Axel is using now ,....?

if you can make it these days on guitar and get well known in any musical way you are a magic person.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachmaninoff View Post
That's exactly how I feel today.
I'll third this. While I do respect bands like Animals as Leaders and both Tosin and the other guitarist (his name escapes me), they are prog and prog has always been it's own thing. I like nice simple melodies that are catchy and make you "feel" the song. The only guitarists I've heard (outside of the most well known like Vai, satch etc) are Kelly Simonz and Timo Tolkki (and Timo Tolkki is one of the fathers of power metal, even though he has very little exposure outside Europe and Latin America). Music today has made me feel like we have seen the end of guitar legends and everyone will fall back to earth and be great but not legendary guitar players. Once Vai, Satch and those legends are gone, we wont have anyone to push things beyond generic music anymore.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11racksfx View Post
This is what came to my mind also. Slash is a legend for being Slash and not his playing.
This I agree with, He is a great player for what he does but nothing extra.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
I'll third this. While I do respect bands like Animals as Leaders and both Tosin and the other guitarist (his name escapes me), they are prog and prog has always been it's own thing. I like nice simple melodies that are catchy and make you "feel" the song. The only guitarists I've heard (outside of the most well known like Vai, satch etc) are Kelly Simonz and Timo Tolkki (and Timo Tolkki is one of the fathers of power metal, even though he has very little exposure outside Europe and Latin America). Music today has made me feel like we have seen the end of guitar legends and everyone will fall back to earth and be great but not legendary guitar players. Once Vai, Satch and those legends are gone, we wont have anyone to push things beyond generic music anymore.
I feel the internet has alot to do with you saying about the ledgends ,..but having said that ,the vai and satriani thing for me is getting way old ,..the stuff that those two guys are putting out now as prog guitar is old and boaring in most cases,..I mean take a look around there are players that are way more advanced than those two ,..frankly ill never cross the street to see vai ,.its about time those two hung there guitars up and raise a glass to rock and say thankyou .

Show/Hide Posting Rules