<back   Jemsite > Off-topic & Polls > Polls

Polls Create forum Polls here or vote in existing polls.

View Poll Results: What do you think?
What?! Slash a total Leg-end! 34 15.18%
He was good back in the day, and still pretty cool 60 26.79%
He was good back in the day, but not as good as everyone made out 40 17.86%
The guy is over-rated 90 40.18%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-20-2009, 02:12 PM

Re: Is Slash over-rated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant1981 View Post
Appetite for....carrots.
LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Come on guys, the carrots thing has had its time... some folks need to learn to let go
I agree.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:06 AM

Slash is my personal guitar hero and while I do think that he isn't the epitome of rock guitar, for some reason I am continually drawn to his playing. A few things I'd like to say, however:

1. STOP comparing him to Buckethead. That's like comparing Steve Vai to Joe Perry. Pointless.

2. I know some people don't get off on the whole image thing, but at least the guy has stuck with his guns (no pun intended)

3. He's actually pretty versatile if you can find some of his collaborations, such as the song "Obsession'Confession" which has some nice nylon-string playing.

4. He doesn't just do pentatonics. Double Talkin' Jive is ALL modes as far as leads go.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:32 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
I love it...
I dont believe the whole "image" thing for a second but I love to see a good entertainer and showman, everyone has off-days on the guitar and I guess when you play for a living those off-days come round more frequently..

I think just because of the appetite for destruction album the guy deserves legendary status..

agreed
Old 06-24-2009, 02:42 AM
(a)

This has got to be one of the whiniest threads I've read in a long time. Holy crap. I can't help but throw my two cents in:

Slash is a guitar legend. Pure and simple. If you can't handle that fine.
He has the look. He has the licks. He has the record sales. Done. Slash wins.
In a time when men were dressing like woman and playing lightning fast, borderline atonal guitar solos on w@nk-tastic guitars, he manned up, strapped a mahogany log around his neck, and played more than a few classic rock riffs and licks that I personally find more soulful and rock worthy than anything EVH, Ratt, Poison, or any other of those stupid cross-dressing bands played. I understand that this is Jemsite, so a majority of people here like shred, but to argue about whether someone who wrote some of the most exciting music to come out of the garbage that was the late 80's/early 90's music scene should or should not be a legend is just silly. To say that he was just ripping some other players style off is beyond stupid, considering I don't think there's a person here that hasn't borrowed many of their playing styles from other players.

I really can't see the point in calling his style out as far as the top hat goes. Music is about the sound, but the music industry is about the look as well. Where would bands like KISS, Alice Cooper, and David Bowie be without their gimmicks?

If you don't personally like his playing or music, that's fine. But if you have to argue about whether of not he's a legend, then I think you've completely missed something. It's really obvious. Right place, right time, right style, right look. That's how legends are made.

That ends my little diatribe. Flame on!
Old 06-24-2009, 04:10 PM

Reviews: 12

legend yes! over rated, yes!
Old 06-24-2009, 05:05 PM
(a)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHyl04-ytH8

This is Slash at his best!
Old 06-24-2009, 07:16 PM

Reviews: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosa View Post
i'm sweating through laughing really really hard!
Old 06-25-2009, 01:46 AM

Slash most definately is not over rated IMO
I don't think he is a brilliant technician, like a lot of the shred guys, but his playing is unique.
I love how his solos tell a story from beginning to end - inspirational.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:18 AM

Reviews: 26

I used to think we was pretty overrated until I started learning a few of his songs for a jamming with a friend of mine. I learned quite a bit actually. Fun stuff.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:07 PM

his playing on AFD was the best. then he had a few memorable tunes after that. I think there is some really good stuff on the 1st VR album. The riff to Slither and the solo on Fall to Pieces come to mind. you can hear the first 3 notes and go,, yup,thats Slash. He is iconic and has always kept it real, also was not afraid to work with people outside of his genre. He's like Grohl, he can do whatever he wants. Oh, and his autobiography is a must read!
Old 01-20-2013, 12:34 PM

Reviews: 37

holy bordom batman.
lets revive a 1,000 year old thread.

j.k. slash is still overrated though.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:46 PM

As a player it's pretty clear he's overrated compared to Vai and Satch but that's not where Slash is great.

Before Slash came out the guitar world was going all superstrat and pretty much getting into overusing the Floyd and Kahlers out there. Slash came in and from what I can see singlehandedly saved the Les Paul. I don't remember hardly anyone who was playing one as it was either Fender or a superstrat like an Ibanez, Jackson, Charvel, or Kramer.

After Guns, so many players were OK with a slowish Gibson with a fixed bridge setup. They didn't have to play fast or have dive bombing guitars to be a top hard rock outfit. It was also at this point that people stopped carving up their Gibson Les Pauls and SGs with locking tremolos.

With Fender ruling much of the '80s decade and superstrats right up along with them, maybe there was an itching to change in the market. What's odd is that non-trem Gibson and Gibson style guitars have dominated since the early 90s and don't look like they're going to lose favor with players anytime soon.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 01-20-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:56 PM
(a)

Slash isn't overrated... I don't think anyone is claiming he's a technical wizard or anything, but his solos always seem to fit the song perfectly. His playing can be melodic and soulful or just a balls out note fest, but just about everyone is catchy as hell and memorable...

If you've ever seen him live, especially during his recent sober years, he has a swagger and ferocity to his live playing that just screams guitar god...
Old 01-20-2013, 10:14 PM

Reviews: 7

Slash is competent as a guitarist, I don't anyone disagrees. He's more along the lines of a Jimmy Page than a Eddie Van Halen in my book, and I can understand why people revere him so much. He's not my favorite, but hey, the guy's pretty damn good.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:03 PM
(a)

Reviews: 2

Slash is absolutely over rated, but only by the people that rate him too highly....LOL

The rest of us enjoy him for the guitar player he is.................

Show/Hide Posting Rules