<back   Jemsite > Off-topic & Polls > Polls

Polls Create forum Polls here or vote in existing polls.

View Poll Results: What do you think?
What?! Slash a total Leg-end! 34 15.18%
He was good back in the day, and still pretty cool 60 26.79%
He was good back in the day, but not as good as everyone made out 40 17.86%
The guy is over-rated 90 40.18%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-20-2013, 11:09 PM

Re: Is Slash over-rated?

He's underappreciated as a performer/persona by guitarists and overrated as a guitarist by the general public. I think playing the right parts at the right time and having an iconic image are two of the hardest things to achieve. And, he's helping keep rock alive so he's got my respect.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:06 PM

Over0rated?Not Sure

At least I enjoy his music and style of play..
Old 01-23-2013, 09:53 PM

Appetite for Destruction was the second album I owned(the first was Bon Jovi - Slippery When Wet). Guns n Roses was definitely my favourite band growing up until like 93. I was all about Smashing Pumpkins for a year or two and then Undertow came out and Tool has been my favourite band since then. So I'll always have a a place in my music memories for Slash. I have to say though, I don't really care for much of anything I've heard from him after GnR though.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:26 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Yep he's, that's why we have this thread
Old 01-24-2013, 12:02 AM

Reviews: 2

Well he is no virtuoso, but how meny of us are. He's an ok guitarplayer and done some cool songs. Anyhow i am sure he just smiles all the way to the bank...
Old 01-24-2013, 12:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by maqify View Post
Well he is no virtuoso, but how meny of us are. He's an ok guitarplayer and done some cool songs. Anyhow i am sure he just smiles all the way to the bank...
If I had his bank account, I won't smile all the way to the bank, I'd keep smiling like a crazy man for my entire life like if I had a laughing virus
Old 01-24-2013, 01:51 AM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fingers View Post
If I had his bank account, I won't smile all the way to the bank, I'd keep smiling like a crazy man for my entire life like if I had a laughing virus

Damn tell me about it. I would be like those Rappers that gone from rags to riches and just go crazy. I would have my own tailor make me fitted suits with velvet shirt and a Montecristo in my mouth+ most of the time wear sunglasses....as i will be kicking alot in sunny places
Old 01-24-2013, 04:14 AM

Slash was perfect for the band he was in, so what if he's not technically as good as Nuno or Paul Gilbert, his playing style was spot on for the music GnR played and that's that.
There are tons of guitar players who are hardly technical wizards but in the context of the band they're in they are nothing short of amazing and I'm talking about people like Brian May, David Gilmour, John Frusciante, Angus Young, Keith Richards, The Edge, Joe Perry to name a few.

Music is an art form, it's not judged on how good you are technically but rather on how many people your compositions reach and let's face it, no one bitches about being able to draw better than Jasper Johns and calling him overrated.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
Slash was perfect for the band he was in, so what if he's not technically as good as Nuno or Paul Gilbert, his playing style was spot on for the music GnR played and that's that.
There are tons of guitar players who are hardly technical wizards but in the context of the band they're in they are nothing short of amazing and I'm talking about people like Brian May, David Gilmour, John Frusciante, Angus Young, Keith Richards, The Edge, Joe Perry to name a few.

Music is an art form, it's not judged on how good you are technically but rather on how many people your compositions reach and let's face it, no one bitches about being able to draw better than Jasper Johns and calling him overrated.
You'd be surprised how good Brian May really is. Same with David Gilmour. He has a touch on his whammy that is unheard of.

As for Slash, he is a good guitar player, definately not a guitar god like Steve Vai, Tony MacAlpine or that sort but he has his own style and, above all else, that's what's most important.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:11 PM
(a)

Reviews: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
Same with David Gilmour. He has a touch on his whammy that is unheard of.

As for Slash, he has his own style and, above all else, that's what's most important.
I agree with both statements...if you like his playing then he's not overrated for you...shouldn't rate or compare music - if you like it then it's good for you...
Old 01-24-2013, 02:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriangrey View Post
I agree with both statements...if you like his playing then he's not overrated for you...shouldn't rate or compare music - if you like it then it's good for you...
Agreed 100% but I think this thread is about what magazines said about him.
How magazines and tv shows always treat him as a guitar God.
In that case YES he's extremelly over-rated.
There are so many better guitarists(not only about technique but about composing) who never were treat like him, that's show bizz, put a fugly hat, smoke 1 cigarete per minute like if it was the coolest thing to do and play some penta boxes, bannnnnnng you're a millionaire.

But if this thread is about personal tastes, if you like him, you like him, if you hate, you hate
I hate Guns, I hate axel voice, he sounds like an out of tune screaming pig and songs don't touch me in any level, Slash playing live is terrible, I already watched youtube clinics where people were screaming "learn to play your OWN stuff"
Old 02-01-2013, 01:08 PM

I just watched the GNR Live in Tokoyo DVDs. He was really good at points and really bad also, but I wouldnt say he is over rated. there are not that many good guitarist left
Old 02-01-2013, 01:10 PM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsawesome View Post
I just watched the GNR Live in Tokoyo DVDs. He was really good at points and really bad also, but I wouldnt say he is over rated. there are not that many good guitarist left
You have to remember at that time he was probably high as hell on the big H or C and drunk on top of that too!
Old 02-01-2013, 01:11 PM

hahah they all were, Duff looked AWFUL on that dvd
Old 02-01-2013, 01:17 PM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsawesome View Post
hahah they all were, Duff looked AWFUL on that dvd
I know man.. It's actually kind of amazing that they all played good enough to sound as good as they did on the DVD

Show/Hide Posting Rules