<back   Jemsite > Off-topic & Polls > Polls

Polls Create forum Polls here or vote in existing polls.

View Poll Results: How do you think it looks?
Classy 72 59.02%
Tacky 35 28.69%
I'm still not sure! 15 12.30%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-01-2009, 01:56 PM

Re: JEM7VWH: classy or tacky?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
hmmm, I've never thought of Bartolinis as cheap looking myself. they certainly aren't cheap for a custom set! And to my ear anyway, they are a huge improvement over the stock pickups.

I'll think about a white strap, but I got that green strap back in '88 with my first FP. It has always been on my 'number one' guitar since
i said they look cheap, i didnt comment the sound, i thought this discussion was was purely a cosmetic one? to me they look like big cheap bits of plastic
Old 05-01-2009, 04:18 PM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by postofficebuddy View Post
i said they look cheap, i didnt comment the sound, i thought this discussion was was purely a cosmetic one? to me they look like big cheap bits of plastic
I think we got that from your first post. "Those look gross" isn't overly subtle or anything I didn't put them in for the look, was my only point; I put Bartolinis in everything I decide to keep long term. I guess I'm lucky I haven't fallen for the Q Tuners, because they are quite a bit fuglier, in my opinion. I'd love to see a pic of a VWH with theminstalled just for kicks though.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:41 PM

Reviews: 1

Gimme a picture of these "Q-Tuners" and I'll see if I can photoshop them in.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:23 PM
(a)

LOL, cool Difficult to find a head on shot, but I might be missing something
http://www.q-tuner.com/
Old 05-03-2009, 06:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
LOL, cool Difficult to find a head on shot, but I might be missing something
http://www.q-tuner.com/
first time ive seen these are they any good jim ???.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylay00 View Post
It's definitely tacky. Gold does not necessarily equal "class" as some people think.
yes and the gold wears off aswell.then the guitar deffo goes from classy to tacky
Old 05-03-2009, 04:23 PM

Reviews: 34

Classy (although I hate that word)

It gets away with it because it is the real deal. If the materials (and I am thinking the fret board in particular) were crap then it would be tacky.

I know some people don't like gold hardware, but it does work some times. Is the RG Gold tacky, or a Les Paul gold top?
Old 05-03-2009, 07:40 PM

I think it's kind of strange that people are talking about the hardware so much. I get the feeliong that a lot of people would vote anything with gold HW "tacky." I'm no gold lover, my wife and I chose non-gold wedding rings and I've never given my wife jewellery that is classic gold. Of course, I don't think gold teeth, jewellery, gold rims and etc. always come off well (teeth never do) but I don't think the JEMs gold is what makes or breaks the tackiness but, I can't catergorically call gold items tacky or that people are mistaken about it's classiness.

No one thinks a Les Paul custom is tacky, at least I've never heard that before, and they have gold HW. I think it goes well together on this guitar. Like it does on a LP custom or a nice archtop. There are plenty of examples of nice guitars with and without gold HW and I think the JEm is an example of the former.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:54 PM
(a)

Reviews: 25

Tacky Gold with the ugly scratch plate only just adds to the tackyness. Plus its the furthest away from the Idea of what a Jem should look like...

But each to their own..... and since Vai had a say in the looks who am I to say it is right or wrong for the Jem series.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:57 PM

It's funny, I never really liked JEMs all that much. But I'm defending the 7V on Jemsite. That7S ironic. And it's even funnier that I'm starting to like the 7V more and more as I visit this thread.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotornut View Post
I think it's kind of strange that people are talking about the hardware so much. I get the feeliong that a lot of people would vote anything with gold HW "tacky."
I don't think that's it. I don't find the RG-Gold tacky, or a blue flametop RG. It's bottom of the barrel in my preferences for harware, considering, there's Cosmo Black, Cosmo White, Powder Cosmo, Violet chrome, or just plain Chrome. Even Pearl Gold I would prefer over Real Gold.

Quote:
Tacky Gold with the ugly scratch plate only just adds to the tackyness.
The main problem is indeed the Mother of Toiletseat pickguard.

That would make a VBK instantaneously tacky. I known that some have even put something similar on a UVGR. An instant fix would be the VBK pickguard (or that off a UVPBK, or 10th, or 90th) if those hadn't clashed with the gold.

The abalone vine is ok on the VBK or 10th, so that's not it. But pyramids could've saved it. The bridal white doesn't help, I prefer the vintage white (that actually ages) on the PWH.

But the combination is some kind of trailer park chic...Las Vegas Elvis, it always reminds me of this:

(yes that's Liberace's car)
Old 05-04-2009, 05:28 AM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltwin View Post
I don't think that's it. I don't find the RG-Gold tacky, or a blue flametop RG. It's bottom of the barrel in my preferences for harware, considering, there's Cosmo Black, Cosmo White, Powder Cosmo, Violet chrome, or just plain Chrome. Even Pearl Gold I would prefer over Real Gold.

The main problem is indeed the Mother of Toiletseat pickguard.

That would make a VBK instantaneously tacky. I known that some have even put something similar on a UVGR. An instant fix would be the VBK pickguard (or that off a UVPBK, or 10th, or 90th) if those hadn't clashed with the gold.

The abalone vine is ok on the VBK or 10th, so that's not it. But pyramids could've saved it. The bridal white doesn't help, I prefer the vintage white (that actually ages) on the PWH.

But the combination is some kind of trailer park chic...Las Vegas Elvis, it always reminds me of this:
I think the JEM7VWH is one of the classiest guitars out there; I love the white and gold. I love the pearloid guard too. Granted it's flamboyant and extravagant, but that doesn't make it tacky!!! Just don't play one if you yourself can't carry it off!

Tacky is epitomised by the use of over dyed, figured maple tops and "exclusive point of origin" woods in guitars that will normally be played with so much gain to make any difference in tone indistinguishable

Last edited by jono; 05-04-2009 at 12:42 PM.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:48 AM

Reviews: 4

White and gold is a good mix but I always look at Evo and 555s and think I'd prefer chrome or cosmo black.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:08 PM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanez777vbk View Post
first time ive seen these are they any good jim ???.
I honestly don't know. Maybe I'll grab an RG321 and slap a pair in that or something...I would think the 'normal' output ones would sound like an unamplified guitar, only louder or something Some of the clips sound great
Old 05-07-2009, 01:06 AM

Over the top does not necessarily equate to tacky. A wee bit extravagant, yes; maybe a tad vulgar; it's a showman's guitar and it needs to be larger than life to achieve its purpose.

Tacky would be form without function, wouldn't it?

Tags
classy, jem7vwh, tacky, tasteful

Show/Hide Posting Rules