<back   Jemsite > Off-topic & Polls > Polls

Polls Create forum Polls here or vote in existing polls.

View Poll Results: Joe Stump Vs Yngwie malmsteen
Joe stump 24 17.39%
Yngwie Malmsteen 114 82.61%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-28-2006, 03:12 PM
(a)

Re: Joe stump Vs Yngwie Malmsteen

Yeah like Gary Glitter or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy7jem
Post fiend

"It's good to talk"
Old 04-28-2006, 03:32 PM

Although I admire Stumps technical ability, He is a blatent clone of Malmsteen from his music right down to his clothes. It's like asking who's better, the Master or disciple ... Yngwie is Master
Old 04-28-2006, 03:59 PM

Reviews: 1

I'm not a huge fan of Stump's tone, and arguments can be made either way, but I grew up on Yngwie. If you're going to clone someone's style and make it your own, I'd say Stump nailed it. Either way, Yngwie comes in a strong 1st place, followed by Stump.
Old 04-28-2006, 04:32 PM

When some one uses the same guitars, same amps, has the same dress style and your music is stupidly close to Yngwies, that to me screams Yngwie Wanna be. Those who think i'm an idiot because i have this opinion can get stuffed. Yes i do like some of Stumps music and i do agree he is a great musician in his own right.
Old 04-29-2006, 11:19 AM

Everyone that think Joe intentionally copied Yngwie is a ****sucker. Stump is 3 years older than fat-head Yngwie & was playing neoclassical BEFORE he knew Yngwie existed & BEFORE Yngwie was seriously playing.

Stump's 2 main influences are Jimi Hendrix & Ritchie Blackmore & you can hear those influences.

His other influences are- Bach, Paganini, Gary Moore, David Chastain, Yngwie (of course only when he heard him in the alcatrazz & Steeler days).

The reason people say he copied Yngwie is because his debut- Guitar Dominance came out in 1993 when he was quite old compared to Yngwie's Rising Force which come out when he was young (21) & Stump would've been 24.

I don't believe anyone should change their style cos someone else is doing it too when neither of you knew the other person existed!!!!!!!

Yngwie & Stump both created their styles (which are very different) regardless of each other & its a result of loving classical & Jimi Hendrix.

Stump is alot more melodic, alot faster, a better musician, ahs a much more metal tone with more gain, bass & mids and can actually play the same **** live as he does in the studio. He only does stuff 1-3 times so that shows his class.

To MaliciousSteve- great name by the way, but Stump used Marshall because of the 70's sound of Hendrix, scalloped guitars cos he wanted more string control & vibrato & he has always dressed like that. Its the neoclasssical uniform & i think Blackmore started it. As a starry-eyed kid Stump & Yngwie obviousl both copied him.

Stump's music aint really that close to Yngwie's- i've got EVERY album of both artist (and other neoclassical legends) and i can tell you in a 2 second clip who is who & possibly which song it is (although thats due to the fact that i'm a sad bastard!!!).

I don't really blame anyone for thinking Stump copied Yngwie cos of the dates of their albums are far between & on the face of it i even thought it was a bit suspect, but i'm a Stump freak now, have done by research & know probably TOO MUCH information on him & i know he is original, as is Yngwie. Great minds think alike is the case.

Stump is a great person people. JemWielder is definately right about that!!! He's sent me some **** & i've been in contact with him through e-mails and he actually answers his fans unlike most!!!!! He sent me some cool signed photos, a couple of licks that i didn't have, some signature picks to my gaff. He's proper "New Yawk". I hadn't heard him speak til i saw his Chop Builder dvd & thats a new yoork accent!!!!!!!!!! We're both Yankees (MLB) & Giants (NFL) fans so we automatically have a couple of things in common. I don't think that how nice a person should have a bearing on good a musician they are, but it definately has a bearing who is more deserving of my money!!!!!! Both are greatful for their fans, don't get me wrong. Yngwie, although he's an arrogant bastard, doesn't take anything for granted i feel.

Although Stump is my ****ing idol, i love alot of artists- way too many to name here, but i have to mention a few of my shred influences: Vinnie Moore, Tony MacAlpine, Chris Impellitteri, George Bellas in the neoclassical scene & also the new breed shredders- Matthew Mills (Neoclassical), Rusty Cooley, Theodore Ziras (Neoclassical), Elias Viljanen & Shane Gibson.

A shout out to myman- mi2tom for getting my ass here. He new a Stump poll was gonna get my attention!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-29-2006, 11:21 AM

They star out the naughty words!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well that ****ing sucks ****, bunch of ****ty **** bastard ****ers.
Old 04-29-2006, 11:22 AM

Der!!!!!! Bastard is in the dictionary.

Ha ha.

Old 04-29-2006, 12:18 PM

I like Stump but I take the original please even with the ****ty attitude .

Regards

André
Old 04-29-2006, 12:31 PM

Did you actually read my post?!!!!

He aint THE original cos they both did their own style without knowing of the other.

Yngwie copied Stump on a song actually- listen to Jimi Stomp from Stump's Night of the Living Shred album (1994), then listen to Dragonfly from Yngwie's Fire and Ice album (1996), same groove, tempo, wah soaked main riff, everything.
Old 04-29-2006, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivera213
Did you actually read my post?!!!!

He aint THE original cos they both did their own style without knowing of the other.

Yngwie copied Stump on a song actually- listen to Jimi Stomp from Stump's Night of the Living Shred album (1994), then listen to Dragonfly from Yngwie's Fire and Ice album (1996), same groove, tempo, wah soaked main riff, everything.
Oh read your post but you can't really beat Yngwie's 1984 "Rising Force" .

Regards

André
Old 04-29-2006, 02:46 PM

Well, yeah that is a great album, but he hasn't got a good conversion rate of albums to good albums.

Rising Force, Marching Out, Trilogy, Magnum Opus & Alchemy.

5 out of 13 studio albums aint that succesful- 38.5%. There's always great playing, but not necessarily great composition.

With Stump's albums (Including RoT), i like: Guitar Dominance, Night of the Living Shred, Supersonic Shred Machine, Rapid Fire Rondo, Conquer and Divide & Speed Metal Messiah & thats 6 out of 10 albums with a conversion rate of 60%, but of course there's no saying that i won't hate his next 3 albums.

I just don't like people who say Stump aint original. There aint 1 artist who would purposely copy another person's ****.

Btw- I'd like to say that Fire and Ice was released in 1992, not 1996 so its impossible Yngwie copied him unless he went back in time!!!!!!!!!! I don't think Stump would've copied Yngwie, but it sounds identical!!!! HA HA. I hate both the songs mentioned so i don't really care. His neoclassical stuff is different to Yngwie's.
Old 04-29-2006, 03:42 PM

'Stump's 2 main influences are Jimi Hendrix & Ritchie Blackmore & you can hear those influences'

Correction - Stump lists Yngwie and Ritchie as his 2 main influences, sure Stump might have been playing classical stuff the same time but there is no denying the great influence Yngwie has over him, not the other way round ..
Old 04-29-2006, 04:07 PM

I like them both but there is no denying that Yngwie is the original & Joe is the copy with a twist.
Old 04-29-2006, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epicus Furor
'Stump's 2 main influences are Jimi Hendrix & Ritchie Blackmore & you can hear those influences'

Correction - Stump lists Yngwie and Ritchie as his 2 main influences, sure Stump might have been playing classical stuff the same time but there is no denying the great influence Yngwie has over him, not the other way round ..
Now maybe. But when he was growing up & learning to play guitar all the way till about the early 90's when he started releasing albums, his main 2 influences were Jimi & Ritchie. They shaped his playing style. More than likely Yngwie & Gary Moore are his faves now. Basically blues rock & classical.

Yngwie has alot of influence over him but what i'm saying is that he didn't intentionally copy anything Yngwie has done or does do- musically or image wise.

I don't think that just cos somw swede with a large head plays similar to the way you do, you should feel the need to change your style. Thats no better than changing your style to get more comercial media fame or money.

Yngwie aint inspired by Stump cos he had a career before Stump came out. I'm sure in hindsight Stump feels he should've released something around 1982 so no-one can say he copied anybody. Maybe Yngwie wouldn't have had the career he's had?

Either way, i like both & i think their characters mean neither would copy anyone.
Old 04-29-2006, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarguy
I like them both but there is no denying that Yngwie is the original & Joe is the copy with a twist.

How could he copy someone he didn't know existed?

He seems like a copy cos of the timing of released albums.

They don't even sound the same to knowledgeable people of the neoclassical scene.

Show/Hide Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jems and Yngwie Malmsteen - can Jems do that? RSVampire JEM and Universe Guitars 30 09-04-2012 07:27 AM
FS Yngwie Malmsteen tab and posters gunkungfu Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 6 11-22-2005 11:15 AM
Yngwie Malmsteen DVD wilch Players, Bands, People, Music & Tours 23 09-11-2003 09:48 AM
Yngwie Malmsteen - YM Humbucker? RSVampire Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 13 08-07-2001 03:18 PM

Sitemap:1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29