<back   Jemsite > Off-topic & Polls > Polls

Polls Create forum Polls here or vote in existing polls.

View Poll Results: Joe Stump Vs Yngwie malmsteen
Joe stump 24 17.39%
Yngwie Malmsteen 114 82.61%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-29-2006, 04:35 PM

Re: Joe stump Vs Yngwie Malmsteen

Joe admits when he heard Malmsteens Rising Force back in 83 it was all over, he was completley hooked on this guy and still to this day learns his peices. Not a bad thing, I admire Stump greatly and i have all of his albums but there is no denying that Stump has borrowed greatly from Yngwie as Yngwie did from Blackmore and so on ...
Old 04-29-2006, 04:38 PM

Q. Every artist who played neoclassical metal after Yngwie Malmsteenís coming has been inexorably compared to him and you make no exception. How do you feel about it? I believe you really donít care (and you take it with a lot of irony too) as you even called ex-Malmsteen musicians to play in your own band!

A. It seems only natural that many people compare me to Yngwie. Heís certainly been one of my biggest influences. I started listening to him back in 1983, over 20 years ago and Iíve been hooked ever since. Also many of his influences are also mine as well, whether itís guitar players like Blackmore, Schenker, Hendrix and Uli-Jon Roth or classical composers like Bach, Paganini, Vivaldi, Mozart or Beethoven. Guitar-wise Yngwie borrowed heavily from both Uli Roth and Ritchie Blackmore
Old 04-29-2006, 04:55 PM

Yeah. He was & is influenced by him, as well as the composers he mentioned & Blackmore, Schenker, Hendrix, Chastain, Moore, probably Uli Roth too but that doesn't suggest he copied or copies from him. Stump has got better with age & Yngwie has been going down hill since Rising Force.

They're influenced by almost exactly the same people so its hardly suprising they share similarities in their playing. I think they both borrow from the Baroque period, but not from each other. I would think that cos Stump learns Yngwie's **** still, taht would further inhance he wouldn't copy him.

I get pissed off when i come up with something that sounds like anyone. My feelings are "****, that sounds like....".

I dunno, but he hasn't intentionally copied Yngwie's style. Being influenced aint the same as copying.

Stump even done a tribute to Yngwie on Speed Metal Messiah called Unleashing The Fury.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivera213
Well, yeah that is a great album, but he hasn't got a good conversion rate of albums to good albums.

Rising Force, Marching Out, Trilogy, Magnum Opus & Alchemy.

5 out of 13 studio albums aint that succesful- 38.5%. There's always great playing, but not necessarily great composition.
But that is just your opinion? Right? I like everything from Rising Force to Fire And Ice. I haven't heard much his newer stuff (albums after Fire And Ice) so I don't know if I like them or not. I've heard couple newer song like No Lost Love and Only One and I really like those songs. And I have the new Unleash The Fury album but I haven't listened it that much yet. And Baroque And Roll from Attack is great song too!
Old 04-29-2006, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredfreak
But that is just your opinion? Right? I like everything from Rising Force to Fire And Ice. I haven't heard much his newer stuff (albums after Fire And Ice) so I don't know if I like them or not. I've heard couple newer song like No Lost Love and Only One and I really like those songs. And I have the new Unleash The Fury album but I haven't listened it that much yet. And Baroque And Roll from Attack is great song too!

Yeah its my opinion, but i would seriosuly start to question the sanity of people who thought albums such as Oddysey were good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He's always done good songs, but a good album needs at least half of the songs to be good.

Well, Magnum Opus & Alchemy should be on your buying list!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-29-2006, 06:55 PM

'but i would seriosuly start to question the sanity of people who thought albums such as Oddysey were good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'

Oddeysey is an amazing album, great songs, great vocals, killer guitar ..sure it's cheesy but doesn't that just add extra points?
Old 04-29-2006, 06:58 PM

'Well, Magnum Opus & Alchemy should be on your buying list'

Blitzkreig' off Alchemy is an absolute jem .. both albums are definatley worth buying
Old 04-29-2006, 07:01 PM

Come on Rivera don't deny you haven't hummed/sang out loud the chorus to Heaven Tonight on the odd occasion
Old 04-29-2006, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epicus Furor
'but i would seriosuly start to question the sanity of people who thought albums such as Oddysey were good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'

Oddeysey is an amazing album, great songs, great vocals, killer guitar ..sure it's cheesy but doesn't that just add extra points?

I'm gonna have to commit you to the nearest mental institute in Chesterfield!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-29-2006, 07:03 PM

Quote:
'Well, Magnum Opus & Alchemy should be on your buying list'

Blitzkreig' off Alchemy is an absolute jem .. both albums are definatley worth buying

Blitzkrieg is 1 of my favourite Yngwie songs, well actually its 1 of my favourite songs in general.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Come on Rivera don't deny you haven't hummed/sang out loud the chorus to Heaven Tonight on the odd occasion

Yes, which is part of the reason i hate that album!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-29-2006, 07:06 PM

I like the voice of Turner & Boals, just that style aint for me.

I absolutely hate Jeff Scott Soto though. THE worst & most annoying voice i've heard including that **** from the Darkness!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-29-2006, 07:12 PM

I dunno why Yngwie doesn't like Magnum Opus? That's a very good album. I'm a fan of Joe Stump's Reign of Terror & i like Vescera's voice.

I still would prefer if Yngwie did 100% instrumental albums.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivera213
How could he copy someone he didn't know existed?

He seems like a copy cos of the timing of released albums.

They don't even sound the same to knowledgeable people of the neoclassical scene.
He fully admits to knowing who Yngwie was as early as 1983 so I think if he was inspired by Yngwie as early as 83 he could have and did copy his style.

You want proof he copied Ynwie look at the inside cover of Joe Stumps Guitar Dominance cd. He is standing in front of a stack of Marshalls with 2- 50 watt heads on each stack, wearing an Yngwie styled puffy pirate shirt, holding a cream colored Yngwie signature strat that even has the same exact white and black strap Yngwie uses.

I am not knocking Joe, I like his music. I own 4 of Joe's cd's and all of Yngwies, but if you can't hear Joe's blatent use of Yngwie's most used licks then you aren't really listening.
Old 04-30-2006, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Riot in the Dungeon is my favorite song currently on that album .

Regards

Andrť

Show/Hide Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jems and Yngwie Malmsteen - can Jems do that? RSVampire JEM and Universe Guitars 30 09-04-2012 07:27 AM
FS Yngwie Malmsteen tab and posters gunkungfu Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 6 11-22-2005 11:15 AM
Yngwie Malmsteen DVD wilch Players, Bands, People, Music & Tours 23 09-11-2003 09:48 AM
Yngwie Malmsteen - YM Humbucker? RSVampire Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 13 08-07-2001 03:18 PM

Sitemap:1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29