<back   Jemsite > Off-topic & Polls > Polls

Polls Create forum Polls here or vote in existing polls.

View Poll Results: Joe Stump Vs Yngwie malmsteen
Joe stump 24 17.39%
Yngwie Malmsteen 114 82.61%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #76  
Old 05-01-2006, 12:07 PM
rivera213  is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: London, ENGLAND
Posts: 275  -  iTrader: (0)

Re: Joe stump Vs Yngwie Malmsteen


Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2tom
There goes rivera213
Yep, mi2tom loves by espresso-inspired rants!!!!!!

i like evry neoclassical guitarist worth their salt & if it was a case of someone saying Yngwie COPIED Blacmore, i would show the same ferocity cos no-one COPIES anyone who has their own individual talent.

Copy= knowingly use someone else's ideas. Knowingly is the key word.

Stump couldn't know about Yngwie. If he was 10 years younger then him, then yeah it would be a bit iffy, but he is 3 years OLDER for **** sake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
quote
  #77  
Old 05-01-2006, 03:02 PM
Epicus Furor  is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Manchester, England
Posts: 529  -  iTrader: (0)

Re: Joe stump Vs Yngwie Malmsteen


So what, Stumps a few years older than Yngwie ... This means NOTHING!!! Look at the Neo-classical greats .. Yngwie, Becker, Roth, Blackmore, Gilbert, Macalpine e.t.c. These are all exceptionally unique talents who have calved their own career paths on their own individual terms .. sorry to say Joe doesn't fall into this league.

Sure Malmsteen borrowed elements of Blackmoore's style, but he didn't blatently 'rip off' his style, he just used elements and incorporated them into his own playing. Look at Paul Gilbert, very influenced by Yngwie and you can hear the influence in his playing but he also has a very unique style where you can listen to any of his records and go 'yeh that's Gilbert', not everyone can do that with Stump unless your heavily into the scene as he is so similiar to Yngwie people not in 'the know' will just miskate his playing for Malmsteens .. and for this reason, Stump will never be up there witht he true innovators and pioneers

'Copy= knowingly use someone else's ideas. Knowingly is the key word'

Joe has said in the past and admits he tried to copy Yngwie as soon as he first ever heard him, THAT was the playing he wanted to play and it was all over. The age gap means absolutley nothing, He may have been playing Hendrix and Blackmore/classical stuff around the same time maybe, but a few years difference makes no difference, the impact Yngwie had on Stumps playing was so huge,so dramatically evident in his music that he hasn't got mushc of a unique style people can go 'hey that sounds like Joe Stump' people are more likely going to say 'hey that sounds like Yngwie Malmsteen' .. this is fact.

I read an artical on Zakk Wylde a while ago, he dais how he defines a virtuoso on the basis you can tell who the player is in 5 secs from listening to them .. to an extent this is true .. Yngwie is so recognisable, Stump ain't - but he makes a dam good tribute act

On a different note, is anyone here into James Byrd?
quote
  #78  
Old 05-01-2006, 03:10 PM
Epicus Furor  is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Manchester, England
Posts: 529  -  iTrader: (0)

Re: Joe stump Vs Yngwie Malmsteen


'Actually his neoclassical grooves are straight out of Bach & Paganini's book. Yngwie didn't invent the harmonic minor scale as far as i know'

I sincerley beleive Stump will have looked back at the artists who Yngwie was influenced by, as i said before .. this is only natural for a musician to do. Sure Malmsteens neoclassical grooves are straight out of Bach & Paganini's book, and then Stump will have borrowed from this .. seems only logical

To be honest though this talk of who started what first is pretty lame, There both great players, just Malmsteen slays Stump on every level
quote
  #79  
Old 05-01-2006, 03:20 PM
rivera213  is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: London, ENGLAND
Posts: 275  -  iTrader: (0)

Re: Joe stump Vs Yngwie Malmsteen


Well he doesn't touch Stump on melody OR speed, or rhythm guitar playing.

Stump has never said he tried to copy anyone so stop putting words in his mouth cos he aint here to answer for himself.

When i played some Becker songs to my best friend & also some Friedman songs, he said they were the same person so zakk's theory of whta is a great player is false cos they both are. Becker aint original compared to Moore & MacAlpine by the way!!!!

Zakk Wylde is definately not one to speak about great players too. I'm better than that redneck piece of **** Bush follower. Talk about can only do pentatonic!!!!!!!

The age gap counts cos he already had his style down BEFORE he heard of Yngwie.

I'm a big fan of both so hey no offense to Yngwie fans obviously, but Stump didn't COPY Yngwie. Thats for sure.
quote
  #80  
Old 05-01-2006, 04:24 PM
(a)
Eggy  is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Cumbria UK
Posts: 1,751  -  iTrader: (0)

Re: Joe stump Vs Yngwie Malmsteen


Quote:
Originally Posted by rivera213
.
Zakk Wylde is definately not one to speak about great players too. I'm better than that redneck piece of **** Bush follower. Talk about can only do pentatonic!!!!!!!
.
I love it when people make these crazy claims and big themselves up into a corner

We have a section on this site for multi media etc. This would be a perfect place for you to post a link to a video of you proving this theory.
We awate with baited breath your "my camcorder is broken" and " I don't have the facilities or I would" type excuses.

Ben
quote
  #81  
Old 05-01-2006, 04:26 PM
fettouhi  is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Odense S, Denmark
Posts: 9,936  -  iTrader: (2)

Re: Joe stump Vs Yngwie Malmsteen


Quote:
Originally Posted by Epicus Furor
'Yngwie can't rock out like Stump which is 1 of the reasons i prefer Stump'

I hope that was a joke
+1

Regards

André
quote
  #82  
Old 05-01-2006, 04:29 PM
fettouhi  is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Odense S, Denmark
Posts: 9,936  -  iTrader: (2)

Re: Joe stump Vs Yngwie Malmsteen


Quote:
Originally Posted by rivera213
Actually his neoclassical grooves are straight out of Bach & Paganini's book. Yngwie didn't invent the harmonic minor scale as far as i know.
Neither did Stump . Go listen to Yngwie's version of "Sails of Charon" .

Regards

André
quote
  #83  
Old 05-01-2006, 04:33 PM
fettouhi  is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Odense S, Denmark
Posts: 9,936  -  iTrader: (2)

Re: Joe stump Vs Yngwie Malmsteen


Quote:
Originally Posted by rivera213
Well he doesn't touch Stump on melody OR speed, or rhythm guitar playing.

Stump has never said he tried to copy anyone so stop putting words in his mouth cos he aint here to answer for himself.

When i played some Becker songs to my best friend & also some Friedman songs, he said they were the same person so zakk's theory of whta is a great player is false cos they both are. Becker aint original compared to Moore & MacAlpine by the way!!!!

Zakk Wylde is definately not one to speak about great players too. I'm better than that redneck piece of **** Bush follower. Talk about can only do pentatonic!!!!!!!

The age gap counts cos he already had his style down BEFORE he heard of Yngwie.

I'm a big fan of both so hey no offense to Yngwie fans obviously, but Stump didn't COPY Yngwie. Thats for sure.
Becker is original, period .

Regards

André
quote
  #84  
Old 05-01-2006, 04:53 PM
OLIE_ROCKS_THE_80'S  is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago, IL:The Windy City
Posts: 2,797  -  iTrader: (6)
Reviews: 10
Thumbs up

Re: Joe stump Vs Yngwie Malmsteen


Quote:
Originally Posted by Epicus Furor
So what, Stumps a few years older than Yngwie ... This means NOTHING!!! Look at the Neo-classical greats .. Yngwie, Becker, Roth, Blackmore, Gilbert, Macalpine e.t.c. These are all exceptionally unique talents who have calved their own career paths on their own individual terms .. sorry to say Joe doesn't fall into this league.

Sure Malmsteen borrowed elements of Blackmoore's style, but he didn't blatently 'rip off' his style, he just used elements and incorporated them into his own playing. Look at Paul Gilbert, very influenced by Yngwie and you can hear the influence in his playing but he also has a very unique style where you can listen to any of his records and go 'yeh that's Gilbert', not everyone can do that with Stump unless your heavily into the scene as he is so similiar to Yngwie people not in 'the know' will just miskate his playing for Malmsteens .. and for this reason, Stump will never be up there witht he true innovators and pioneers

'Copy= knowingly use someone else's ideas. Knowingly is the key word'

Joe has said in the past and admits he tried to copy Yngwie as soon as he first ever heard him, THAT was the playing he wanted to play and it was all over. The age gap means absolutley nothing, He may have been playing Hendrix and Blackmore/classical stuff around the same time maybe, but a few years difference makes no difference, the impact Yngwie had on Stumps playing was so huge,so dramatically evident in his music that he hasn't got mushc of a unique style people can go 'hey that sounds like Joe Stump' people are more likely going to say 'hey that sounds like Yngwie Malmsteen' .. this is fact.

I read an artical on Zakk Wylde a while ago, he dais how he defines a virtuoso on the basis you can tell who the player is in 5 secs from listening to them .. to an extent this is true .. Yngwie is so recognisable, Stump ain't - but he makes a dam good tribute act

On a different note, is anyone here into James Byrd?
You seem to know what you are talking abount, kudos for you because you're right but it gets to the point where people won't understand no matter what and it becomes pointless to keep arguing (Although is kind of fun sometimes)

Of course I know who James Byrd Is mate "Fifth Angel"
Atlantis Rising, Octoglomerate, Son of Man, Apocalypse Chime, Crimes of virtuosity, flying beyond the 9, Anthem... Fantastic player I can't say enough good stuff about him except that I got hooked since the Fifht Angel days.
I always thought he was a great balance between fire and finesse, he was in an article in 93 in GFTPM titled "The best guitarrists you've never heard of"
they mentioned that he was so good that he could be regarded as the first soulful shredder because he could really make the guitar moan with his bending and phrases, to me he is so different than most Neoshredders because he combines the sounds and thechnique of Uli Jon roth, Michael Schenker and Malmsteen and this gives him a good balance between speed and melody, in fact when he realesed his Son of man album Yngwie went as far as to endorse that album and he was quoted saying "he (James Byrd) is the best sounding guitarrist that I've heard in years" so there you have it, if you don't know who he is I highly recommend him, his cds are kind of hard to get but they're worth searching for and every penny you won't regret having
his stuff in you collection...
quote
  #85  
Old 05-01-2006, 06:12 PM
rivera213  is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: London, ENGLAND
Posts: 275  -  iTrader: (0)

Re: Joe stump Vs Yngwie Malmsteen


Quote:
Originally Posted by fettouhi
Neither did Stump . Go listen to Yngwie's version of "Sails of Charon" .

Regards

André

Exactly, so they both play using the same scale that has been around for centuries.
quote
  #86  
Old 05-01-2006, 06:14 PM
rivera213  is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: London, ENGLAND
Posts: 275  -  iTrader: (0)

Re: Joe stump Vs Yngwie Malmsteen


Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggy
I love it when people make these crazy claims and big themselves up into a corner

We have a section on this site for multi media etc. This would be a perfect place for you to post a link to a video of you proving this theory.
We awate with baited breath your "my camcorder is broken" and " I don't have the facilities or I would" type excuses.

Ben
I don't have a video camera. I've actually only been playing for 7 months. I'll maybe post something later on, but only when i am good enough in my opinion.
quote
  #87  
Old 05-01-2006, 06:16 PM
rivera213  is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: London, ENGLAND
Posts: 275  -  iTrader: (0)

Re: Joe stump Vs Yngwie Malmsteen


Quote:
Originally Posted by fettouhi
Becker is original, period .

Regards

André
Well considering Friedman mentored him, i say no he isn't cos they have simiarities & Friedman was the instigator of Cacophony & has helped Becker out a hell of alot. No doubt he got some **** of Marty. I still like Becker, don't get me wrong- but no-one is really original.
quote
  #88  
Old 05-01-2006, 06:17 PM
maliciousteve  is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hertfordshire, England
Posts: 312  -  iTrader: (0)

Re: Joe stump Vs Yngwie Malmsteen


Quote:
Originally Posted by rivera213
Well he doesn't touch Stump on melody OR speed, or rhythm guitar playing.

Stump has never said he tried to copy anyone so stop putting words in his mouth cos he aint here to answer for himself.

When i played some Becker songs to my best friend & also some Friedman songs, he said they were the same person so zakk's theory of whta is a great player is false cos they both are. Becker aint original compared to Moore & MacAlpine by the way!!!!

Zakk Wylde is definately not one to speak about great players too. I'm better than that redneck piece of **** Bush follower. Talk about can only do pentatonic!!!!!!!

The age gap counts cos he already had his style down BEFORE he heard of Yngwie.

I'm a big fan of both so hey no offense to Yngwie fans obviously, but Stump didn't COPY Yngwie. Thats for sure.

Are you Joe Stumps bitch or something?

This thread was about people expressing their opinion on two good guitarists. Just because some people don't agree with YOUR opinion, doesn't make them idiots or wrong.

I would like to hear you prove that you're actually better than some one who's been playing for well over 20 years, played with amazing musicians and can play anything from metal to blues to country and to jazz. Because you must be amazing if you claim such a thing AND can back it up.
quote
  #89  
Old 05-01-2006, 06:18 PM
rivera213  is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: London, ENGLAND
Posts: 275  -  iTrader: (0)

Re: Joe stump Vs Yngwie Malmsteen


Quote:
Originally Posted by OLIE_ROCKS_THE_80'S
You seem to know what you are talking abount, kudos for you because you're right but it gets to the point where people won't understand no matter what and it becomes pointless to keep arguing (Although is kind of fun sometimes)

Of course I know who James Byrd Is mate "Fifth Angel"
Atlantis Rising, Octoglomerate, Son of Man, Apocalypse Chime, Crimes of virtuosity, flying beyond the 9, Anthem... Fantastic player I can't say enough good stuff about him except that I got hooked since the Fifht Angel days.
I always thought he was a great balance between fire and finesse, he was in an article in 93 in GFTPM titled "The best guitarrists you've never heard of"
they mentioned that he was so good that he could be regarded as the first soulful shredder because he could really make the guitar moan with his bending and phrases, to me he is so different than most Neoshredders because he combines the sounds and thechnique of Uli Jon roth, Michael Schenker and Malmsteen and this gives him a good balance between speed and melody, in fact when he realesed his Son of man album Yngwie went as far as to endorse that album and he was quoted saying "he (James Byrd) is the best sounding guitarrist that I've heard in years" so there you have it, if you don't know who he is I highly recommend him, his cds are kind of hard to get but they're worth searching for and every penny you won't regret having
his stuff in you collection...
Who says he's right?! You. Some dude who's user name is "OLIE_ROCKS_THE_80's". You gotta be ****ting me?!!!!!!!!!! Plus, you're from chicago. What the **** would you know about music? Batio is your best player & he sucks ass as a musician.
quote
  #90  
Old 05-01-2006, 06:20 PM
rivera213  is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: London, ENGLAND
Posts: 275  -  iTrader: (0)

Re: Joe stump Vs Yngwie Malmsteen


Quote:
Originally Posted by maliciousteve
Are you Joe Stumps bitch or something?

This thread was about people expressing their opinion on two good guitarists. Just because some people don't agree with YOUR opinion, doesn't make them idiots or wrong.

I would like to hear you prove that you're actually better than some one who's been playing for well over 20 years, played with amazing musicians and can play anything from metal to blues to country and to jazz. Because you must be amazing if you claim such a thing AND can back it up.
No i aint Stump's bitch, but we can all hope i guess.......

Does it make me wrong expressing my views on the 2 & for arguing Stump's case when most people who say he copies Yngwie don't know any facts?!!!

No, So shut up.

Zakk Wylde is **** man. He should be good for playing for 20 years..... but he aint!!!!!
quote



Show/Hide Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jems and Yngwie Malmsteen - can Jems do that? RSVampire JEM and Universe Guitars 30 09-04-2012 08:27 AM
FS Yngwie Malmsteen tab and posters gunkungfu Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 6 11-22-2005 12:15 PM
Yngwie Malmsteen DVD wilch Players, Bands, People, Music & Tours 23 09-11-2003 10:48 AM
Yngwie Malmsteen - YM Humbucker? RSVampire Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 13 08-07-2001 04:18 PM

Sitemap:1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) jemsite.com
Powered by