Will you smash your guitar? - Jemsite
Polls Create forum Polls here or vote in existing polls.

View Poll Results: Will you smash your guitar?
Yes 21 10.45%
No 160 79.60%
Maybe 20 9.95%
Voters: 201. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 108 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Will you smash your guitar?

If you're as famous as malmsteen? With the endorsements and all and you got tons of money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 108 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

Re: Will you smash your guitar?

I voted no cos the guitar that I'm smashing might be somebodies dream guitar, I'd rather sell it off cheap, secondly upon smashing you might get injured, those woods and hardware flying around might hit you in the eyes.
post #3 of 108 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 01:11 AM

Reviews: 2

Never. I've always thought smashing your guitar is a total douche move. My students are always talking about it and I use the same logic you do. Lots of kids can't afford any guitar let alone a crazy fancy custom guitar. If you're not going to use it anymore sell it off or put it into some sort of crazy collection you have or some such thing. Why destroy something that has been a glorious part of your life?
post #4 of 108 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 02:32 AM

It goes even deeper than that, unfortunately. A lot of musical instrument woods are now *endangered species* that are going to be increasingly more difficult to get, and also increasingly much more expensive when you ARE able to find it. This is part of the reason why guitars in general are getting more and more expensive. Mahogany is a popular wood that goes into peoples' homes and furniture as well as guitars. Sitka Spruce is down to just a few acres of trees (some alarmingly small amount...the exact figure I can't remember). Brazilian Rosewood is available in whatever quantities of scraps you can find here and there. That's it. You need to have a sizable diameter tree in order to be able to make a guitar out of it, and apparently there aren't so many old growth trees anymore. All of this was in an article in Guitar Player about a year ago, I think. I can't remember the details but I remember reading the article. So save your guitar woods and refurbish whenever possible. I'm even wondering if there might be a "certified pre-owned" guitar business popping up in the future when the good wood becomes extremely rare and expensive.
post #5 of 108 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 03:25 AM

Reviews: 6

i voted no, i'd never smash any of my guitars their too precious to me if i ever was famous i'd just throw it into the audience and let the fans deal with it
post #6 of 108 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 03:31 AM

Reviews: 1

Heck No!

If I was gonna get rid of a guitar used at a concert, I'd just hand it to some random in the audience lol.
post #7 of 108 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 04:32 AM

What Mike and Pursuit said. Look for the guy with the best air guitar technique and give it to him.

Guitar smashing is old hat.
post #8 of 108 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 05:07 AM
Banned

smashing up guitars,hell no.even if i was endorsed and a millionaire i still wouldnt do it.id give the guitar to a kid in the audiance.i once read somewhere that malmsteen just smashed up cheap strat copys not his real fenders.
post #9 of 108 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 05:19 AM

I voted no for the same reasons as everybody, giving to somebody in the audience is much cooler.

Although I might be tempted to get some crappy chibanez set fire to it Hendrix style and then smash it in front of 65000 of my closest friends - that would be cool!
post #10 of 108 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 05:27 AM

Reviews: 21

Never!!! If i had to part with one or them, id find a ten year old kid who can master a perfect score on guitar hero, and tell him to master a real guitar instead!!!!!
post #11 of 108 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 08:30 AM

looks like im the only who voted yes so far
post #12 of 108 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 08:49 AM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: Will you smash your guitar?

I voted maybe...It depends on the guitar, and my mood. If you've never smashed a crappy guitar when you're really pissed you don't know what you're missing...

The good and bad emotions that come before and after. It makes you realize to sometimes hold in that anger, and think before you do it, yet also releases all that raw energy.

If I were to do it, I would be like Paul Stanley and at the end smash up a crap guitar that eventually became souvenirs for 3 people. Everynight, 100 gigs a year, 30 years...9000 lucky fans.
post #13 of 108 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 08:55 AM

Reviews: 25

Well I voted maybe, because although I can understand why people would be upset over the act.

My only reasoning to doing it, would be after playing a crazy set, smashing the guitar would be an amazing release of energy......
post #14 of 108 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 09:06 AM

No
Smashing your guitar is played out. Townsend and Hendrix made it big almost 50 years ago.
post #15 of 108 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 09:13 AM

Reviews: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
No
Smashing your guitar is played out. Townsend and Hendrix made it big almost 50 years ago.

No is such a final word, I do as I please and if it pleases me I do it.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode