Ibanez JEM Forum banner
97K views 132 replies 83 participants last post by  billq 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well, after an early rumor of the change and much confusion due to the ibanez.com website specs on the VWH I can now confirm, the 04' VWH now has a ROSEWOOD fretboard. The one shown at NAMM was ebony so I never gave it a second though afterwards. It is a nice dark select rosewood but it is rosewood nonetheless.

Just an FYI ;)

#28 ·
I've said it more than once, but I'll say it again,

Feel wise, Ebony, Rosewood and maple are quite different, tonally, the difference is sooooo minimal 99% of people would never notice it.

I have out of curiosity and due to opinions on this very site, taken one guitar neck, on one guitar, and over the course of 2 weeks, changed the board from the original rosewood, to maple, and then to ebony just to see what the difference in tone was.

The actual tonal difference, with a solid body guitar, through a bypassed amp (just the guitar tone) Nothing that I could tell and I have a damn good ear.

The only guitar I think I've noticed a difference on is the Strat maple necks where the fretboard is one piece with the neck, not glued on.
The fretboard is such a minimal piece of wood, and with a GLUE joint between the board and neck to rob any actual chance of tonal variation, that it doesn't not do squat for tone IMO. Your fret size makes a greater difference due to string contact area.

That being said, the subconcious mind will tell you that one or the other sounds better, and, chances are good that if you play 3 different guitars, one maple, one rosewood and one ebony, they will all sound different, but due to many more variables than just the fretboard. If you were to be blindfolded, and play the neck that I had changed the board on, and every board was cleared so there was no difference in feel, I would bet that guitar that nobody would know the difference in tone between the fretboards.
So what guitar did that neck end up on, the JEM911USA with the ebony, why did I choose ebony? I like the feel, and I prefer the look of nice dark ebony.

Anyway, that's just my opinion from an experiment, I know many won't believe me, but whatever, I did it, and it's my educated opinion, I'm sure there is a small tonal difference, but I doubt any human ear would actually notice it.
So, when it comes to picking a fretboard wood, I just suggest going with what you like the feel of the best.

Just my two cents ;)

#29 ·
If there were only one Jem with one configuration, people would complain. If there were every possible configuration and color of Jems, people would complain. Just think how boring it would be if Ibanez never changed anything? I'm with Rich, I don't care that they changed the guitar, but it would have been nice to have a heads up.

#35 ·
cocobig said:
I am kind of disappointed coz I like the feel and look of ebony board.
when i was shoping around for a new guitar awhile back, i came across a NOS jem90th at local mom and pop shop here in OKC. i thought i was looking at a rosewood board because the ebony was so light in color. it just didn't seem as deep and rich like the others i have had. my rggold2 has a darker color board than this jem90 does.

btw, the guitar in question is still for sale at that shop.

#36 ·
Well, I've gotta say I'm disappointed. I guess what stevie wants he gets. I still want an Ibanez with an ebony board.... Kinda wish it was announced earlier. I would've saved, and bought one. As it is I don't have enough money, and that new 2002 w/ lo pro Rich has is looking tempting. But yeah. Not enough money atm.

Has it been sold yet Rich?

wil..

#39 ·
MF still has a new 2002 VWH. I know because I keep checking everyday waiting for them to drop the price (it is 2 years old!), but they don't. It's $1799 w/o case and won't have the "Rich Harris" set-up. But if someone wants a new '02, it's there.

As far as the discussion here - If I bought a 7VWH, I want the ebony! Not for the tone or even feel. I don't mind saying it - for the looks! The contrast of the dark ebony and the white vine is beautiful. That's my two cents!

#48 ·
I like my maple fully scalloped neck/board the best on my Yngwie strat of all my guitars. I do however, like the ebony board on my 02' VWH. I don't like the look of that pic Rich just posted versus the ebony look. Tone... I probably wouldn't notice it. But playability, I like the "feel" of ebony better than rosewood.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.