Ibanez JEM Forum banner

2012 Jem

16K views 113 replies 56 participants last post by  darrenw5094 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any news on the upcoming Ibanez Jem? I was hoping that someone had some information by now specifically, the new tremolo they were working on....

Thanks!

#44 ·
Y'know, Ibanez should really look toward the Jemsite for ideas in new production lines. Almost everything I ever see mocked up in here, or custom built, is without a doubt better than most of what they have to offer. I love ibanez, but I do feel they've gone very conservative and boring in recent years. The Jemsite is the only one keeping things colorful and exciting and that's why I love it in here.

There has been so many great designs I've seen in here that I would shell out money for in a heartbeat but alas, most of them will never see the light of day or they'll be a one-off custom.

I would gladly buy that Green RG......these limited color, limited runs have to stop. In all, it just makes Ibanez very....well....limited in choice.

#47 ·
It's the green case also that make it look so great. I also think to make 100 jems in one color or another is not a big thing for a massive company like Hoshino.

Paint gun check
white and black paint check---- scrub that Purple, green, orange, red, blue...... and on

After the paint they all need top coats from the same machine UV cured acrylic no difference weather they're white or neon pink.

They could go nuts, give Steve Vai one of each color and sit back and watch them sell out over night.

I love Ibanez and what drew me to them was the colors the swirls then......

I drive to work watching cars go past counting the ubiquitous slightly differing shades of boring as hell silver, talk about conformity, think of all the colors and all the drones driving round in their shade of silver cars.

No offense intended if you happen to drive a silver car. There are millions of colors out there, they could go mental esp with it being an anniversary year.

They never made cases like that did they....

Peace.

#48 ·
Listening to a niche audience or your "fan base" without knowing the size and composition of that sampling can end with bad results. You might think you're listening to your audience or the demographic you're "selling" to but you have to be careful you're not listening to a small part that isn't the silent majority.
I don't know if there's a real name for this phenomena but I call it the "Xena Effect". There was a show back in the day called "Xena: Warrior Princess". I was not a fan but many others were. The show came about as the Internet was picking up steam. It turns out, not surprisingly, that a sizable part of the audience were lesbians. Unfortunately for the producers they didn't grasp the size of that "sizable" part of the audience. They decided to listen to the "sizable" demographic that wanted them to make Xena more of a lesbian character. After they made these changes (I don't think the character ever came out though) the producers were surprised to find out that the "sizable" lesbian fan base was in fact not all that large. The silent majority of Xena fans disliked the changes and dropped the show like a rock. It was soon canceled after that.
Just something to consider. Some of us might like neons or swirls but a vast majority of the guitar buying populace does not.
And as boss as that LNG RG would be a part of me thinks the color should still be off limits so as not to spoil it for the Jem LNG owners. Maybe a slightly different green; kind of like the recent DY that wasn't really DY.

#50 ·
I would LOVE for Ibanez to dip into Fender's color chart, especially on RG's. My plan is eventually to turn my RG570 into a seafoam green RG with white pickups and a clear 770 style pickguard.
Even changing the RGx550's up and giving them a white pickguard instead of black might do a world of good.
But this is a thread about the 2012 Jem. The Jem would probably be limited to what Steve says. Maybe they can ask Steve if they can have a free hand with the 505, since it isn't really close to his spec - if it in fact ever comes back. Turn the 505 line into what the Randy Rhodes V has become for Jackson; with a myriad of colors and options coming out each year.

#54 ·
Good point, Takin' a Ride. I was just generalizing.
Honestly I think the RG770DX might have done better if it wasn't released at the threshold of the financial meltdown and the Great Recession. The same could be said for the higher end Prestige models and possibly even the Jem505. I don't know the numbers so i could be talking out of my a$$, but that's my impression.

#59 ·
agreed! there still seems to be a big market in most of the shops i go into for fender/dean/epiphone/ESP. saddens me! :(

although i think it does depend on where you go - if some of the UK shops with websites are anything to go buy, they stock pretty much every single RG, S, and prestige model, as well as the AX, etc! which makes me think if i went to those shops they'd be a shop whos showroom is the size of a warehouse. sadly they're generally nowhere near me, so not really ideal for just "popping" to! :(

#61 ·
Also there are diminishing returns. I have one neon. It's nice and somewhat novel but the rest of the fleet is pretty tame. Black, transparent amber, mirage red, silver, and a cheap lasercopy red quilt; pretty ordinary by comparison. I wouldn't run right out and buy another neon rather than another color, though if I hit the lotto I'd probably buy the DY and Black RG20th. Sans lotto winnings the DY isn't even close to next on my list.

#65 ·
It would be cool to see SK and (the real) DY reissued for those that want them but they would seem incomplete without LNG. Maybe they could come up with an alternate green like they came up with an alternate DY on the RG20th. Or reissue the 777VBK in it's place?

#66 · (Edited)
I find the dislike of the "new" DY pretty funny. The new version of the paint is what the base coat of the old one looks like if you took away the clear finish that has a tendency to yellow badly.

I can understand why people prefer that, though. But for the SK, I'd love to have one with the "new" paint that doesn't yellow.

#70 ·
I just noticed that on musiciandfriend the JEM now costs $2,799 and has 24 Jumbo frets. The JEM is not suppose to have the tall and narrow 6105 frets? The site also says "expected to ship 1/6/12" so that and the price bump makes me believe that they are describing the 2012 model.

#71 ·
I just peeked at the prices on MF... Looks like $2699 for the black 77 and $2999 FP2. Thats alot of cake for any guitar. Some folks dont even pay that for cars. In Pensacola,FL there are homes that are selling for low 30K's. The FP2 is a bloody 10% down payment. Just saying. Not looking for a debate or anything. Perspective will make you laugh sometimes though.

#72 ·
There was a 8/1/11 price increase on all MIJ signature models. I never got any notice of it, I just noticed what they were charging me for 3 VWH's I ordered yesterday. It's all exchange rate. I watched an interview with a Toyota exec who said they need the Yen over 90 to be profitable. At 77 they're all passing increases on.

#74 ·
It's all about the Yen being so high versus our crap dollar. Without getting into a political discussion it doesn't help we're printing money on our end and devaluing our currency. Hell, I just walked down the aisle of the grocery store today and got pissed off how much our dollar sucks. I never thought the Yen would fall below 80. A major natural disaster and a major nuclear meltdown doesn't help either. I honestly feel bad for Hoshino and all Japanese companies. It's a tough slog.
I'm betting non-sig MIJ will be hit come January? The RG1570 as an economic indicator???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.