Ibanez JEM Forum banner

30th SK Color Accuracy

6K views 43 replies 10 participants last post by  froctavio 
#1 ·
I know the SKs are hard to photograph, but how close are the reissues to the originals? I've not seen a 30th in person.

#4 · (Edited)
Hello.

I have been seeing images of the 30th SK ranging from different variations of hues of Magenta like the picture below.

Most of the initial pictures (looking through the monitor at work and home) seemed to be like the first variation of magenta on the left that had more purple to it, but have seen other pictures with the other variations too. (due to many variables in lighting conditions).

I came across this new picture online of an SK under natural lighting conditions
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/a6/07/f8/a607f84e539e264797456734199a2deb.jpg

This to me is the Shocking Pink color I was expecting the guitars would be (rather than the more purple magenta variation I have seen, which did not caught my attention as much).
Because of this picture, it has changed my perception of what the actual color of the guitar is as it has now been growing on me.
I wanted to know if anyone could confirm if the guitars actual color is like the one from the picture ?
I need to make up my mind really soon as I have placed a reservation for a DY, but like this color better after seeing this picture and can only afford 1 of the guitars.

Thank you guys.
Any information would really help.
Cheers.

#6 ·
Yeah, the color of the DY feels a bit off in real life as well. A greenish tint to the yellow color. Only slight, but noticable.

Its definitly yellow though.
You are absolutely right Phantomblot.

I just got my DY and indeed my version is just as you describe it and does match some of the latest pictures I have been seeing online as of late, yet slightly different to some other pictures I have seen earlier in the year.

I was a bit puzzle and was wondering because I have one of the RG1 XXV Pink ones, but the version I got although Pink, it does have a slight subtle hint of orange to it (When playing at night it looks more orange than pink). I certainly love the neon color of it and am very happy with the guitar, but can clearly see the subtle difference in color to that of the promotional material and other people pictures online in which I based my online purchase, since prior to receiving the guitar, I had never seen one in real life.

I was wondering if anyone more familiar would know if subtle disparity in colors do happen often on guitars coming straight from the factory as new ? perhaps because some of them were done on different batches and it is a bit tricky to get specially the neon colors to look consistent with the original target.

I found this image of Neon Lemon Yellow, that is as close to the color of the DY I got. I love my DY and Am super happy with it, but after finally seeing this guitar in real life, I realize that for a bit more than 2 decades I had the wrong idea about what the exact color of this guitar was from seeing it on guitar magazines in the early 90's as a kid dreaming of having one hahaha. and more recently seeing them online, but never in real life.

#13 ·
Rich, I'm not going to indulge your pedantic desire to squabble.

People with originals want to compare to new ones and could surely do that if the new ones were photographed well. & Vice versa (of course that is much trickier). If i had original digital files from ~early 1990s that also would be a great (few years of "color change" max) reference but I don't they were transferred to Keebali.

It sure seems from photos like the SK color is different and the DY is too. I'd say the trifecta LNG as well but haven't seen them in person to confirm for sure so that is SPECULATION for a forum not fact.

Not sure why your feathers are ruffled if the colors are a bit different it is what it is... why pretend they're the same saying the originals "changed colors" and making other excuses.

#14 ·
If you want to twist a statement of fact into pretending or making excuses, maybe that's what you shouldn't indulge.

And how many bits of color accuracy was available in digital pictures from 1990?

I already told you and everybody else, I held an LG up to #1, #1 is a hair lighter and a hair yellower, exactly how you would expect an LNG with yellow tinged clear to look.

#17 ·
^ jump to conclusions. Not the "same" but "more than enough".

You don't know what "bits of color accuracy" means nor are you likely to know what your monitor can display. I know mine is (99%AdobeRGB, 100% sRGB, 120% color gamut)

cliff notes: you need more bits to display many more/different colors at once. see here good example of 8-bit being more than suitable for purpose
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_depth#True_color_.2824-bit.29

Again if you don't know just ask someone probably does.

#19 ·
I have an 88 SK that has spent a good part of its life in the case. It is obscenely hot pink. From memory, it is not far in color from when it was new. From what I've seen so far, the reissues tend to have a more magenta hue to them.

I have read that the paint used back then didn't have anti-UV protection in it as compared to modern poly. Is this true?

#26 ·
The guitar in question (which you bought from me)

That is with my own tweaking to make the image look like what I thought it looked like in real life. The case is from a '91 FP. I belie that if you pull the guard you will not see any fading or color change on the body, but you'll see a bit of fading on the headstock if you pull the truss cover. I always felt that this guitar was more of a neon bubblegum color.

If you ever pull the neck on it, you can see what the original paint looked like. There is pink paint in there with no clear over it, so you don't get the tinting effect from that. It's more magenta than the color of the body.

#20 ·
The clear will amber sitting in its case.

My first reaction was the SK was more magenta. They said they were thinking of changing the color and I told them not to. It's far nicer looking than any original SK I've ever seen. Whatever exact color they were to begin with really doesn't matter.

#25 ·
Hola Rich.

I was wondering if the pictures from the official Ibanez website are the same ones you took for Ibanez Rules ? They look like they are.
If indeed this is the case and they had a more magenta version of the SK (this confirms to me that I wasn't going crazy hahaha) and the pictures from the official website are the more magenta version, while the SK production models are more neutral SK. Would this be safe to say it is the case...? I was just wondering, as I was puzzle by the colours.
I already ordered an SK, so I am no longer debating about the colour for making the purchase decision, but would be nice to know the history behind this. I guess this magenta sk was a prototype?

Thanks Rich.

Cheers :)

#21 ·
I work in paint finish for toyota one of the largest manufacturers of painted anything on the planet. Color choice varys insanely from time to time and we currently use a robot to make sure our colors are within a certain margin of error across the board. Clear will certainly change colors drastically overtime. The pink hues have changed color massively since the 80s so who's to say what color it should be now? http://www.ibanez.co.jp/news/f_products/2017/JEM30th/images/namm/img_01_02.jpg

#22 ·
That was kinda my point.

The only way you could be sure would be to take an SK30 in a time machine back to 1988 to compare it to a brand new in box SK.

Otherwise, it is what it is. A really nice looking color, bold, vivid, rich, and if you like it, you buy it. If you don't, you don't. If you're buying it only because you're worried if it's a dead on match to something 30 years old that would only be comparable, 30 years ago, then you're wasting your time.

#23 ·
Thanks for your replies. The clear on my DY has definitely yellowed! I also have a '89 760 in white that is almost almond in color.

I think I'll pick one up and enjoy it. There is no doubt it's a great looking recreation of the original with all the technological advances mixed in!

I guess I'm nostalgic for these guitars as they were a big part of my teen years.

#24 · (Edited)
Hello guys.

Apologies about my previous posts. I didn't meant to create controversy and get people on a heated discussion about the colour accuracy of the new guitars.

I was just asking for clarification and feedback since I could only afford one of the guitars and was having a hard time choosing. I like the pink one, but based on the pictures online it looked as if there were 2 different variations of colours for the SK due to multiple variables of lighting,camera settings, monitor and so on.

The other part of the reason I was asking is because in the past I placed an order on a brand new Pink RG1XXV which I based my online order on the colour of the official ibanez promotional material, but to my surprise the guitar I got was a Pink/orangy neon rather than Pure neon Pink like the official pictures. Due to this disparity in colours on a brand new guitar, it made me wonder if this sort of subtle colour disparity was present on the new guitars. Figure some people here would know because they own or have access to them, and would be able to clarify if this is the case or not.

In regard the DY colour, You was right Rich. I realise I was wrong or was silly of me by expressing and comparing new not being like the way I remember the old ones, as they are likely a bit different on being a modern representation.

With that said I am very happy with the DY and after a lot of thinking decided to also order the SK as well.

Thanks Rich, Jemsite and everyone for your feedback. Hopefully the information helps others too.

Cheers.

#27 ·
One thing for certain, the original SKs were never bubble gum pink. Those look cool but are not factory. IMHO the 1989 brochure probably best represents the intended color reflecting typical direct+indirect lighting.

Ibanez Catalogs

the original 777 brochure looks to be heavily retouched (where's the body contour) but probably represents the color without direct lighting. The guy who would best know is the last president of Hoshino USA... Bill Reim.

Ibanez Catalogs

#32 ·
For another example at how the clear can go off on one piece, but stay fine or be different on another, this SR800 I bought for the Bensalem collection. I didn't even notice it, Shogo pointed it out.

The body has gone very amber, the neck extension on the front [between last fret and pickup], stayed the same as far as I can tell. IMO this bass was purchased to learn on, played a couple months, put in the case and stayed in the closet for 28 years. It was an easy near dead mint. Unfortunately they loosened the truss rod so the neck fell away bad the last 8". After it hangs strung to pitch it'll probably be perfect again in 25 years.

Ibanez SR800LE Soundgear bass Made in Japan w/ original case Clean! Reg Lo Z P/u | eBay

Not the best pictures to illustrate but the only ones I have as it lives in Bensalem now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.