30th SK Color Accuracy - Jemsite
JEM and Universe Guitars For discussion of Ibanez JEM and Universe guitars only.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Question 30th SK Color Accuracy

I know the SKs are hard to photograph, but how close are the reissues to the originals? I've not seen a 30th in person.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:37 AM

Re: 30th SK Color Accuracy

Hard to say since most SKs are at least slightly faded.

They looked really accurate to me IRL.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 03:23 PM

In the flesh, they look way off to me....
post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 10:41 PM

Hello.

I have been seeing images of the 30th SK ranging from different variations of hues of Magenta like the picture below.

Most of the initial pictures (looking through the monitor at work and home) seemed to be like the first variation of magenta on the left that had more purple to it, but have seen other pictures with the other variations too. (due to many variables in lighting conditions).

I came across this new picture online of an SK under natural lighting conditions
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...34199a2deb.jpg

This to me is the Shocking Pink color I was expecting the guitars would be (rather than the more purple magenta variation I have seen, which did not caught my attention as much).
Because of this picture, it has changed my perception of what the actual color of the guitar is as it has now been growing on me.
I wanted to know if anyone could confirm if the guitars actual color is like the one from the picture ?
I need to make up my mind really soon as I have placed a reservation for a DY, but like this color better after seeing this picture and can only afford 1 of the guitars.

Thank you guys.
Any information would really help.
Cheers.

Last edited by froctavio; 05-02-2017 at 10:44 PM. Reason: grammar correction + changed link to picture
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 08:04 AM

Yeah, the color of the DY feels a bit off in real life as well. A greenish tint to the yellow color. Only slight, but noticable.

Its definitly yellow though.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomblot View Post
Yeah, the color of the DY feels a bit off in real life as well. A greenish tint to the yellow color. Only slight, but noticable.

Its definitly yellow though.
You are absolutely right Phantomblot.

I just got my DY and indeed my version is just as you describe it and does match some of the latest pictures I have been seeing online as of late, yet slightly different to some other pictures I have seen earlier in the year.

I was a bit puzzle and was wondering because I have one of the RG1 XXV Pink ones, but the version I got although Pink, it does have a slight subtle hint of orange to it (When playing at night it looks more orange than pink). I certainly love the neon color of it and am very happy with the guitar, but can clearly see the subtle difference in color to that of the promotional material and other people pictures online in which I based my online purchase, since prior to receiving the guitar, I had never seen one in real life.

I was wondering if anyone more familiar would know if subtle disparity in colors do happen often on guitars coming straight from the factory as new ? perhaps because some of them were done on different batches and it is a bit tricky to get specially the neon colors to look consistent with the original target.

I found this image of Neon Lemon Yellow, that is as close to the color of the DY I got. I love my DY and Am super happy with it, but after finally seeing this guitar in real life, I realize that for a bit more than 2 decades I had the wrong idea about what the exact color of this guitar was from seeing it on guitar magazines in the early 90's as a kid dreaming of having one hahaha. and more recently seeing them online, but never in real life.

post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback! I ended up snagging an LNG. I hope it looks good!
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 09:33 AM

There must be a collector some where that has well preserved originals and the 30'ies that can take a family photo?
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 11:37 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Unfortunately it seems like owners/sellers of the 777s have photography skills and desire of a Wookie. Just need good lighting (no flash) and a white balance card or grey card. I can photo a non-faded DY headstock later this week for reference
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 11:51 AM
Vendor

Anybody that thinks a guitar from the 80's hasn't changed color at all is coo coo for cocoa puffs.
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 11:54 AM
site founder 0% owner

what does that have to do with photographing the new ones properly?
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 11:59 AM
Vendor

1. It was never clear exactly what DY you meant.
2. This thread is about color accuracy compared to the originals, so if there are no pure originals to photograph, how is the statement not valid?
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 12:23 PM
site founder 0% owner

Rich, I'm not going to indulge your pedantic desire to squabble.

People with originals want to compare to new ones and could surely do that if the new ones were photographed well. & Vice versa (of course that is much trickier). If i had original digital files from ~early 1990s that also would be a great (few years of "color change" max) reference but I don't they were transferred to Keebali.

It sure seems from photos like the SK color is different and the DY is too. I'd say the trifecta LNG as well but haven't seen them in person to confirm for sure so that is SPECULATION for a forum not fact.

Not sure why your feathers are ruffled if the colors are a bit different it is what it is... why pretend they're the same saying the originals "changed colors" and making other excuses.
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 12:27 PM
Vendor

If you want to twist a statement of fact into pretending or making excuses, maybe that's what you shouldn't indulge.

And how many bits of color accuracy was available in digital pictures from 1990?

I already told you and everybody else, I held an LG up to #1, #1 is a hair lighter and a hair yellower, exactly how you would expect an LNG with yellow tinged clear to look.
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 12:35 PM
site founder 0% owner

Novel concept... you just say you don't know instead of making up things like "bits of color accuracy".

The Mavica had AWESOME WB and Macro focus.... just limited resolution.

Tags
sk shocking pink jem 30th

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode