<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > JEM and Universe Guitars

JEM and Universe Guitars For discussion of Ibanez JEM and Universe guitars only.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:17 AM
(a)

Re: 7VWH Edge Pro issue? Random tuning problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big stew View Post
Tried a couple of nut tensions, and it didn't seem to matter. I noticed with the last episode, the nuts were definitely tight. (not string-crushingly over-tight, mind you)
No, no, you're confusing the pressure pads with the nut. You need to ensure the NUT is tight.

This is held on by the two bolts behind the headstock... those two little bolts where the headstock begins to bend backwards. You can see them just below the signature in your pic here: http://s1323.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=2

Just put an allen in there and give them a bit of a turn to make sure they're tight. If they're not, the whole nut could be slipping when you dive, pull-up, bend, etc. Just one of many possibilities... so it may or may not fix your issue.

Last edited by webmaestro; 01-09-2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:06 AM

It looks to me, in the 2nd pic http://s1323.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=0

that the saddles (i think its called a saddle, but i could be wrong. The bits you move back and forward to intonate the guitar) on both E strings (especially the low E) have also moved forward which would slacken the strings i think. I could be totally wrong, but i have never seen a guitar intonated with the 'saddles' like that. I could be totally wrong. Its just a thought
Old 01-09-2013, 11:13 AM

Cant really tell the problem by just looking at the picture sometimes... Its better to bring the guitar to guitar tech let them check... Might be the set up problem
Old 01-09-2013, 11:35 AM

Thank you all for the responses! I'm going to try them all!

If anyone is on here from Pittsburgh or near it and can recommend a good local tech, please do lol The ones I've dealt with so far have been sheet!
Old 01-09-2013, 11:37 AM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross777DVP View Post
It looks to me, in the 2nd pic http://s1323.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=0

that the saddles (i think its called a saddle, but i could be wrong. The bits you move back and forward to intonate the guitar) on both E strings (especially the low E) have also moved forward which would slacken the strings i think. I could be totally wrong, but i have never seen a guitar intonated with the 'saddles' like that. I could be totally wrong. Its just a thought
I didn't see that pic. Those two saddles definitely look like they're as far forward as they can possibly go, indicating that maybe they've slipped forward (bolts weren't tight enough). That would absolutely cause the strings to go dramatically flat.

I agree with djanggo though, we could speculate all day, so just taking it to a repairperson is a good idea. The guitar could probably use a good setup anyway, and that'll catch any issues such as this.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:58 PM
Vendor

It's the saddle slip. Just a hair on movement is a lot of pitch. Intonate it and lock them down, your problem is solved.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:26 PM

Rich, Ross and Webmaestro you guys nailed it! Thanks so much! The saddles were loose and moved on me. That explains why the string got so physically loose without the locks, lock pad, springs, etc.. being loose.

Thank you so much!

Last edited by Big stew; 01-09-2013 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Added a name to thank, Rich was right also!
Old 01-10-2013, 09:53 AM

Glad that was fixed for you! As a preventive maintenance tip, every time you change the strings, check to make sure the nut, saddles and neck bolts are tight. You don't want to over-tighten and strip the screws (esp the small allen heads that hold the saddles and nut), but tight enough so they don't move. Also lube the trem posts with chap stick. Also consider investing in some locking studs from Ibanez Rules....the edge pro didn't come with them. Every lit bit helps get you closer to 99.9% tuning stability. Good luck!
Old 01-10-2013, 10:57 AM

Great tips! I was wrong about the edge pro, its an edge. It's funny but as many times as I've changed strings I've paid little to no attention to the saddle tightness as it was always fine. One of those things that ya don't think about until it goes wonky on ya! Lesson learned for sure! Thanks!
Old 01-10-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big stew View Post
Thank you all for the responses! I'm going to try them all!

If anyone is on here from Pittsburgh or near it and can recommend a good local tech, please do lol The ones I've dealt with so far have been sheet!
Hey, shoot me a PM with who you've dealt with so I know to stay far away from them! Haha!
Old 01-10-2013, 01:01 PM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibboom View Post
Also lube the trem posts with chap stick. Also consider investing in some locking studs from Ibanez Rules....the edge pro didn't come with them.!
An emphatic +1 on these suggestions. First thing I do when I get a new Ibby (or just a new trem) is get the locking stud mod. The Chap Stick trick is a great one too.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:50 AM

i cant believe, i have actually managed to help someone out on here!!! Well thats my good deed done. Glad to hep ya man, enjoy your Jem!!

Tags
7vwh, edge pro, tune, tuning

Show/Hide Posting Rules