Ibanez JEM Forum banner

A coincidental happy story

3K views 24 replies 19 participants last post by  Shockme.au 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi,

My name is Alf, and I used to own a Jem 7rb. I do now, but I used to, too :)

Back in 1998 I lived in Oslo, Norway. I had my own little hobby studio set up in my apartment and my 7rb at the ready. Sadly, some untrustworthy people broke in to my apartment and stole everything minus the bed sheets. There went my 7rb, which was my greatest concern. The rest could be replaced.

Aanyway, the insurance company found no reasons not to reimburse my losses (Despite of their best efforts) and so I used some of the money to buy a new guitar. A Jem 90, which I thought was the best way of replacing the 7rb. Little Stevie Vai had already signed the certificate on it, but I figured I could up the ante, and so I took it to a Vai concert (Ultra Zone) and had Mike Mangini, Mike Keneally and Phillip Bynoe sign the certificate as well. As well as Vai once more, to which he was rather curious.

I still have the Jem 90, Steve, if you are reading this :)

So, my 7rb was lost and then I started realizing that I still missed it, despite my new Jem 90. The Jem 90 was causing me some Floyd Rose grief. It would not return to the same resting point. It didn`t feel nearly as easy to play on as the 7rb. So I was bidding on 7rb´s on ebay and if I saw one for sale I`d go as far as I could pricewise but still... no luck. Its sad to put it like this, but I was stuck with the Jem 90 as my best option.

Fast forward to May 2011. I was looking through the classified ads in my area, and there was a 7rb for sale...and it looked oddly familiar. It was the guitar that was stolen from me in 1998! So I got in touch with the current owner and told him what had happened.

He told me that he had received the guitar as part payment for a car job he had done, and that he had not suspected that the guitar was stolen. He agreed to sell it back to me for half of the intentioned price, and so after almost 13 years, my favorite guitar ever was back!

Back when I first owned it, it had already been sanded and the lovely root beer finish had been destroyed. It was never a pretty sight. But to my surprise and delight it is STILL, after 13 years, exactly the way I remembered it. Plays lovely, sounds excellent and best of all, it still stays in tune no matter what I do to the Floyd Rose...

If there are words to describe my joy over having got my baby back, I am not aware of them. It might not be pretty, but performance does not need to be.

I`ve attached a picture of it for anyone who might want to have a look.

Attachments

See less See more
#22 ·
Thanks for all the congratulations and best wishes, its much appreciated. I even found a video of my particular RB on youtube, and of course I still does not have enough posts to post links... so you will have to add the http, the :, the //, www, and the youtube dot com on your own accord. Who makes these rules anyway... :)

/watch?v=r7K9NkIzzCg"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.