<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > JEM and Universe Guitars

JEM and Universe Guitars For discussion of Ibanez JEM and Universe guitars only.

View Poll Results: Are Jem's overrater?
Yes, they are 5 7.14%
No! 23 32.86%
Just overpriced 42 60.00%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 07:48 PM

Reviews: 10
Thumbs down

Re: Are JEM's overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Rhoads View Post
Stupidity on your part, because the RR costs 600 less than a 7Vwh let alone a 7BRMR, but since you are talking about stupidity, I urge you to take some math classes.

For the price price/benefit ratio a lot of guitars run rings around a JEM, want a good example... PRS

Oh now you have telepathic powers and you know if I can do set ups, THAT is not the point, the point is a 2400 Guitar SHOULDNT need a setup, you are paying TOP DOLLAR for an instrument that should be perfect the moment you take it out of its case, I urge you to go to the GC and take any 2500 PRS, or jackson and check if it need "proper" setup. but hey I am not the one used to playing cheap guitars (if you took the liberty to check the pictures of my guitars you should know, but you are the kind to engage the mouth instead of using your brain before having any facts..

Sound like you dont know crap about good guitars and you want to keep paying top bucks for jems, Hey I sell you my BRMR for 1800, I make a quick 700+ out of a blabering fool who cant see the reality...DEAL?

All I have to do is look at a pic of your crappy guitar collection and the idiocy of your posts to realize you know nothing!!! News flash GC fan boy (Who buys from GC anyway ) a lot of guitars even new high end guitars out of the store need a pro set up if you want them to play to your liking

He talks about telepathic powers...?!? (whatever dude ) so tell me how are you so sure I overpay for all my JEMS or that I have any for that matter, you are new here, yet you act like a smarty pants thinking that you know it all, stating stupid opinions as facts!!! that is the kind of stuff that gets you flamed. and since you don't want your BRMR I will give you $300 for it deal?
Are we having fun yet!
Old 02-15-2007, 07:53 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton View Post
I wish he was selling it for $800!!

Anyway, you just wrote that you are not a strat man, and that is fine of course. However, the fact that you do not care for them does not change the quality of the guitar. Lets not blend what we like personally with the conversation at hand, which is the value of the JEM.

Do I like the JEMs, of course I do. However I can't see shelling out almost $2000 for what is basically a 2550 with an inlay.

Really, all I want from Ibanez is the Prestige 1550 with an alder body, and I will put my own stinkin' pups in it.
You're right my bad! but as you and I have discussed it in other threads, we are in agreement that both Fenders and JEMS if bough new are overpriced!
I would never shell out that kind of cash for a new one, not 1600 for the Fender, not 2100 for the JEM 7VWH.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:57 PM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crevis View Post
Waa, that guitar is $1100 US here. and no I'm not a ****in idiot.
Ouch, and I never thought you were an idiot. I guess that goes right to value, good deal for $500-$600, not so good for $1100.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:05 PM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLIE_ROCKS_THE_80'S View Post
I would never shell out that kind of cash for a new one, not 1600 for the Fender, not 2100 for the JEM 7VWH.
Well I do like strats and here what I spent on my two latest ones. I bought Highway One models with the nitro finish for $500, and then sold the necks on e bay for $250. I then ordered Warmoth Pro necks with locking tuners for the same $250. I put custom shop pups in them and for a grand sum of $600 I have everything I want out of a strat.

You wont find me dropping $20k on a Eric Clapton model anytime soon.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wis Redz of Silvanost View Post

I agree that gold hardware could be better. Come on, man, PIA is the most beautiful JEM ever to exist. Chrome hardware is just great on VWH.
Yeah, chrome looks way better.

Just out of curiosity, does PIA stand for Pissing In Action?
Old 02-15-2007, 08:09 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton View Post
Well I do like strats and here what I spent on my two latest ones. I bought Highway One models with the nitro finish for $500, and then sold the necks on e bay for $250. I then ordered Warmoth Pro necks with locking tuners for the same $250. I put custom shop pups in them and for a grand sum of $600 I have everything I want out of a strat.

You wont find me dropping $20k on a Eric Clapton model anytime soon.
You see $600 smackers for a guitar that no doubt can hold its own to any high end signature model!!! that's what I'm talking about!
Old 02-15-2007, 08:11 PM

Thumbs up

[quote=Dee;611711

Just out of curiosity, does PIA stand for Pissing In Action?[/QUOTE]

Old 02-15-2007, 08:15 PM
(a)

Quote:
You see $600 smackers for a guitar that no doubt can hold its own to any high end signature model!!! that's what I'm talking about!
LOL, I am not ashamed to admit I just purchased a RG321 for $125 shipped and with some small upgrades, will be a nice player.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:23 PM

$125? Damn, that's crazy. Did you get it off the Bay?
Old 02-15-2007, 08:27 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
I presume he did! I have gotten many similar deals out of the bay!!!
Good for you Ayrton!!!
Old 02-15-2007, 09:33 PM
(a)

Wink

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, does PIA stand for Pissing In Action?
I believe PIA is Steve Vai's wife.
As for the guitar, piezo's in jem would be perfect.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:10 PM

Reviews: 13

Ofcourse parts self assemble guitars are way cheaper, but if 1 were to custom it at a custom shop than the price would definitely be way over.

To my experience almost 99% of Overprice expensive guitars need a proper setup to my liking. Even Rich knows that.
Most of the expensive Jems feels almost the same as a J-Custom or any Team J Craft Guitars made by the same Team and the price are almost the same too.
Talking about overprice(it's not overprice actually), I just got my UV777P-BK 2003 model 1st hand from 1 of my dealer here for only US$1000. It hang down there for almost 2 years at the shop display and I decided to grab it. Is that a good price or what
The UV need quite a few setup though. I got to add shims to my locknut and raise the neck a tad higher by adding shims at the neck pocket. Tighten the neck rod as it was too relieve and straighten it. Adjusted the action and intonation and some pickups adjustment. Now it plays beautifully and sing like a bird.
I just love MIJ Ibanez Guitars but definitely not Korean, China or Indonesia made.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:06 AM
(a)

Quote:
Yep, I was wanting a cheap fixed bridge guitar, and I thought the oil finished 321 looked good and was mahogany to boot. I saw several go for over $200 and I managed to snag a gray nickel for $102 with $25 shipping. Not my first color choice, but it was still new with the hang tags.

Honestly it is nicer than I expected, but it needs a little tweaking.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:08 AM

Cool. That's like 60 English pounds. Unreal! So... what kinda mods are you gonna do with it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG1820X View Post
I believe PIA is Steve Vai's wife.
Oh. Sorry Steve.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:12 AM

First for clarification I have never posted my BRMR or the BSB are crapy guitars. now that I have made that clear...

Quote:
All I have to do is look at a pic of your crappy guitar collection and the idiocy of your posts to realize you know nothing!!!
My crappy guitar Colection includes 2 Jems (both top of the line in their respective years).....mmm are you trying to say jems are Crappy? LOL

Quote:
News flash GC fan boy (Who buys from GC anyway )
None of them were bought at the GC (the Jems) one I bought from Chris here at Jemsite (the little trader thingy on the right of the forum window can give you hints), In fact I have never bought a Guitar at the GC and in Fact in Mexico there is NO GUITAR CENTER, so apart from math classes you need ENGLISH clases because you clearly do not know how to read properly.

Quote:
a lot of guitars even new high end guitars out of the store need a pro set up if you want them to play to your liking
If you like to pay 2500 for a guitar and then send it and pay more for a setup. be my guest, but that is why in the first place you go to a store and play them and see if they are good,Ok, perfect or crappy.... I did the setup of both JEMS and they are very good, zero buzzing, uber low action, perfect intonation, but I DID NOT PAY over 2000 for any of them...

Quote:
He talks about telepathic powers...?!? (whatever dude ) so tell me how are you so sure I overpay for all my JEMS or that I have any for that matter, you are new here, yet you act like a smarty pants thinking that you know it all, stating stupid opinions as facts!!! that is the kind of stuff that gets you flamed. and since you don't want your BRMR I will give you $300 for it deal?
Are we having fun yet!
This thread is not about your Jem, you brought out my preferences, I dont care if you sleep with 50 JEMS at night, the Thread is ABOUT if the JEM are Overrated, my opinion is that at list prices they are, be flamed or not thats is my opinion, and no I wont sell my Jem for 300 just because you really like 300 guitars, in my case the BRMR is worth like 1400, that would be a fair price, 2400 NFW!...with that $$$ there are a lot of other guitars I would consider, but hey, I am not the one buying guitars off Evil bay for cheap and then realising that they need setup and probably a miracle...

Bottom line if Ibanez could sell the 7VSBL for 999 and make profit, they are making a killing on the JEM line... overrated or not...

Show/Hide Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Leaving Ibanez guitars - No more jems for me jem7pbk JEM and Universe Guitars 141 12-11-2010 07:16 PM
FT/FS: Ibanez jems BFP& PBk (worldwide shipping) IbanezNorthwest Classified Ads: Ibanez JEM/UV Guitars 34 08-18-2005 05:32 PM
Do you really think Jems are worth it? Markie Boy JEM and Universe Guitars 72 04-23-2004 06:12 PM
PGMs vs JEMs Ibanezer Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums) 9 09-18-2003 10:59 PM
Beat up Jems - let's see some beat up jem pictures wireman24 JEM and Universe Guitars 33 03-26-2002 03:32 PM

Sitemap:1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29