<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > JEM and Universe Guitars

JEM and Universe Guitars For discussion of Ibanez JEM and Universe guitars only.

Old 08-02-2002, 07:02 PM

Are you paranoid when it comes to dink's/nick's on your Jem?

Until a couple of hours ago i had a mint VWH. I was at home with a friend and he was playing my VWH. He was very close to one of my keyboards and suddenly, when he was playing a song, he made a movement and bang, the guitar hits the keyboard. Now i have a nick on my VWH . It's not really big, just a little depression on the upper edge on the backside, but you can see it and you can put a fingernail on it. And everyime i look at it it seems bigger.

I don't know if you really care about this, but i'm extremely carefull with all my instruments and i get very sad when something happens with them. Now everytime i play with the VWH i'm sure i will look at that nick and think "man, this guitar was mint, but now...". I will never sell the VWH, for sentimental reasons and bexause i never sold any instrument i bought, so i'm not sad because i would get less money if i sold her. It's just because i have a nick in my VWH...

Are you as paranoid as i am when some accident occours with your Jem/UV?
Old 08-02-2002, 07:15 PM

Re: Are you paranoid when it comes to dink's/nick's on your

Quote:
Originally Posted by armdias
Are you as paranoid as i am when some accident occours with your Jem/UV?
I can relate but, no, I'm not paranoid. I own a DBK and any nicks I get are fixed with the swish of a permanent marker. Same goes for dents, with the 'midnight custard' texture you wouldn't be able to tell a dent from a space between blobs of hard enamel goop. That alone is worth how ugly I thought it was when I first saw it.

But, I CAN relate. My apologies on the loss of the mint condition but look at it this way: congratulations, now it's road worthy and has it's first war scar. Time to take over the world now.

LJ
Old 08-02-2002, 07:28 PM

I've only owned one new guitar in my life, and that one taught me that I need to buy used. I was so paranoid about it not getting a ding or a nick that I found myself not playing it in situations I expressly purhased it for.

So now I buy "player" guitars and use them everywhere. I can afford new, but I much prefer to be able to not be jumpy about every litte ting. I have a player UV777BK. It cost me $800 but I play the thing everywhere. It's got some digs but it's in good shape.
Old 08-02-2002, 07:28 PM

I know what you mean... i have also a Fender Strat, full of nicks and scratches, but they became part of that guitar. They were made when i was in a band and they are like like scars of that age, they are "part" of that guitar, they became something like the history of my Strat.

And i'm not that kind of guy who buys one guitar and put it in glass case just to look at her. I also have one PMC that i play a lot just because it was meant to be played. And i play my VWH a lot more because it's playability eclipses the PMC and the Strat. But that doesn't mean that i'm not carefull with my guitars. i am. and i always want to make them as perfect as new.

But my VWH... i always wanted to keep that guitar mint because it is so beautiful and perfect... that's why i'm very sad.
Old 08-02-2002, 08:01 PM

I put a dink in my BSB today. I've only had it for 3 days, and it was brand new . I put my PRS down next to it (to photograph them), and accidently knocked the BSB with the strap button causing about 2mm of a dent in the top edge I was gutted for about an hour. Now i've decided that this guitar will look okay when it's 'all beat up' in a Strat sort of way.

If (or when) i have a VWH, i'll want to keep it mint though.
Old 08-02-2002, 08:20 PM

The back of my RG3120 has a ton of dents and scratches.....no biggie
Old 08-02-2002, 11:24 PM

On a new guitar, yes, because of how much I paid for it!

On used guitars, I don't mind.

Patrick - Midnight Custard? That's funny! I call mine Black Oatmeal
Old 08-02-2002, 11:36 PM

I only buy PLAYER CONDITION guitars.
For these and other reasons! (Price, maybe...)
And i've NO NEW guitars. They're so expensive here...

Tubarão
Old 08-03-2002, 12:29 AM

One thing that bugs me is that you guys call them dinks.

I think most of the rest of the world calls tiny dents dings.

A dink is, well, something entirely different.
Old 08-03-2002, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren wilson

Maybe Jackson's DINKY REVERSE ???
(I hate Japaneeeese Jacksons...)

Tubarão
Old 08-03-2002, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigpops
I put a dink in my BSB today. I've only had it for 3 days, and it was brand new.
Hey, BSB's are made to take some damage (although mine is still pretty perfect after 2 and 1/2 years with only minor fading). http://koti.mbnet.fi/~pmm/pics/temp/JEM7BSB_wp.jpg
Old 08-03-2002, 03:21 AM

Not me..
the only thing that does get me is when ppl who think they can play guitar
start mishandling the instrument.
this drives me nuts!
im like, ok,watch the headstock, dont lean it like that etc.
So many ppl think they 'know' whats correct.. how can they in another persons environment.. sure they see me lean it awkard like but then i know what im leaning it on and what it takes to make it stay with out falling etc.. bla bla...

I just cant stand it when ppl are not aware of there surroundings.. Um, dude... theres an amp head there or a cab here.. or a....

I have had to tell the same ppl repaeatedly things like this...
Im like- ok enough, give it back lol

i could rant for hours about this..
anyone else know what i mean....
Old 08-03-2002, 03:27 AM

Quote:

I think that calling it a dink is less psycologically reprecussive to a buyers perceptive thought process..

yes they are dings, but its like when the car seller guy doesnt tell you the price but rather writes in on a paper.. With out the Dollar symbol...

its all about sales tactics and mild manipulation..

you see the ding with your eyes, but subconsciously, "ding" is settled in there someplace. thereby if you really are considerring the instrument or whatever, its not a "dent, nick, whatever, but a DING.. and a mild one too LOL
Old 08-03-2002, 04:47 AM

Quote:

Didn't we already have a similar discussion not long ago?

LJ
Old 08-03-2002, 05:23 AM

I can't comment in relation to Jems as mine doesn't arrive til Monday (probably)

I remember when I got my main axe, a Hamer, more than a decade ago...I was really paranoid about nicks and blemishes, it was such a beautiful instrument. They are, however, inevitable if you are really going to 'play' the guitar. Now I have plenty of nicks, the paint has corroded down to the wood where my arm rests, and it's getting that way too where the scratch plate would be if it had one. To be honest, I don't even notice these days. If you step back and really look at it you think, "damn, that guitar has been in the wars" but to me it's still my baby and I love it just the way it is, it has character

The one thing I am ultra careful of though is the neck, and so far there are no dinks there...touch rosewood

I'm sure I'll be totally paranoid and have a day of mourning when I get my first nick in the Jem though.

Tags
amp head, boss pedal, boss pedals, darren wilson, fender strat, les paul, scratch plate, strap button

Show/Hide Posting Rules