Backstop... tremol-no... - Jemsite
JEM and Universe Guitars For discussion of Ibanez JEM and Universe guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Backstop... tremol-no...

I just read a couple threads on this, but I haven been able to find an accurate/specific features pf each one, and what one has that the other does... I don't know how the backstop works either... Do they both do the same thing? Can someone help me out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 09:11 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: Backstop... tremol-no...

The backstop(hardly gonna find) is very much like a hipshot tremsetter in that it gives you a center zero point to your trem; tune it up to pitch and it's zero point and it returns to that position everytime ( in theory)

The Tremol-no is a latching system that gives you hard tail action or full floating capability at the turn of a knob in the spring cavity
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 09:53 PM

Reviews: 4

I had one but sold it to Jeroenn after the Tremel-no was released. I still haven't bought one, but my UV is in pieces in anyway, waiting for my lazy ass to strip it down to the wood.

The Tremel-no did exactly what I was wanting anyway.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 05:51 PM

I have had them both..I got rid of the Tremol-No and I still have the Backstop.I like it better.
It just seems to be more like what i'm after.If you rest your hand on the trem at all you might want to check out the T-No.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Ok I have done a bit of research and found there to be 2 types of contraptions that fit in the trem cavity of a guitar

thingies #1

-Tremol-no
-hipshot tremsetter

Thingies #2

-Ibanez backstop
-rockinger blackbox
-ESP arming adjuster

All the doodads in group 1 opperate similarly and achieve the same results, while the things in group 2 operate differently and achieve a different objective. This is what I have found out, and if I have made a mistake please correct me. Are there any of these things that I missed?

Ok, so the things in group 1, allow you to go hard tail, dive only, or full mode with the turn of a knob.

In group 2, I am less sure about what they do... they make it so you return to the same spot after every dive? is that right? I thought thats what tremolos do anyways when stock? How do these things work?

Anyways, Thats what I have found out, can i get filled in on the stuff I dont know.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 05:19 PM

No, sorry, the Tremol-No works in a completely different way from the others. It's essentially a lock on the springs, whereas all the other devices stabilise the springs by bringing the trem back to a central pre-set point. They can have their stiffness set to different degrees.
I'd say the Tremsetter should be grouped in #2 as it does the same job as the others, just in a different way. But as you say, the Backstop/Blackbox/ESP are all much the same.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-25-2007, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Well can someone explain to me what the backstop does exactly?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-25-2007, 10:23 AM

I would like to know also.
So I searched and found this page on this very site.

http://www.jemsite.com/jem/other.htm

On there is the backstop, with pics.
Hope that helps.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

mmm ok, can someone tell me the function of all these ones, because I cannot find anything about them really, other than the tremol-no. Which works by locking the bridge in hardtail, dive only, or normal mode. What modes do the other things allow? Does the backstop lock it or does it just make it go back to center each time u use the wammy? help?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 03:59 PM

If the information regarding the Backstop on the link I posted isn't enough (I don't know why) then there's nothing I can add beyond:

It provides counter pressure againsts the floating tremolo.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon8822 View Post
does it just make it go back to center each time u use the wammy?
Yes...
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 07:26 PM
Dee

Buy a Tremol-No.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 03:06 AM

The Tremel-No isn't spring loaded as far as I know and therefore doesn't apply any sort of stabalizing. It just offers different trem configurations.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 12:20 PM

Repetition diminishes meaning.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 11:05 AM

I fancy a tremol-no for my rg, I don't fancy the routing factor to the Ibanez backstop. I don't really have issue with either my jem or my RG returning to zero I just like the idea of locking the trem so I can do big bends without sending other strings out of tune.

I've had two backstops but chose not to fit them.

Tremol-no's are 45 in England plus delivery i'm thinking of getting one from the US as they are only $53 ish plus $10 shipping which is about 31 all in on the bay.

Anyone know where is the cheapest supplier please?

Tags
esp arming adjuster , floating tremolo , hipshot tremsetter , ibanez backstop , spring cavity

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode