<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > JEM and Universe Guitars

JEM and Universe Guitars For discussion of Ibanez JEM and Universe guitars only.

Old 03-22-2001, 07:25 PM
(a)

Bob didn't have the only arrival today - ...The BFP I "stole

Sorry to take a little of your thunder, Bob (I'm looking forward to seeing those pics).

I've been looking for a reasonably price BFP for sometime now - hell, it's hard enough even finding one that's NOT reasonably priced! *If you follow my posts, you know that I sorta gave up the search about 2 months ago and bought a UV777BK. *i settled for having a pic of Vai's BFP on my computer desktop and I thought that would have to suffice.

On Monday morning, I went on the H-C classifieds, as I do every single day, looking for JEMs. *I'm sure a lot of you saw the ad...

"Ibenez 77 Jem" *it went onto describe this black guitar with some blue flowers on it, good condition. *That's all it said - nothing about "BFP" or even 'Blue Floral'
The price...$700.

I rubbed my eyes and looked again - it still said $700

Long story short, I got my '91 JEM77 BFP this afternoon (with hard case, tools, bar, strap &amp; original warranty card - BLANK). *It was in even better condition than he described it! *(it'd been in the case for 5 years)

Kevan shot over here and helped me clean it up (more like me helping him - I'm fairly clueless). *I swapped the bridge out of my RG550 because the BFP's had some corrosion - that was really the only major flaw. Other than that, this guitar is a 9/10.

I'm going to gig with it tonight - My first impression (other than that I've forgotten how to play a 6 string) was how great the neck p'up sounded. *I've had a PAF-pro in the neck of my 550 for years, but it never was that smooth. *

I'll post more tomorrow after the gig and let you know how much i love it.

Kev took some pics with the digital camera and I'll post 'em as soon as he gets them over there - I think he's coming to my gig tonight too, so maybe you'll even get some 'live-action' photos! *

His wife said that there were about 50 e-mails in response to his ad (mine was the first)

Sorry to all that I beat out taking advantage of this poor soul who had no idea of what he had or what it's worth.

More tomorrow...I'm totally flying, even though I've only had 4 hours sleep!
~Kenny
Old 03-22-2001, 07:31 PM
littlegreenman  is online

Bob didn't have the only arrival today

Congrats on the BFP man, enjoy it! *Big congrats on the sweet price and beating out everyone else that wanted it! *
Jeremy
Old 03-22-2001, 07:44 PM

Kenny,

You are the man! *Subjectively the best looking and sounding JEM there is!! *Congrats.
Old 03-22-2001, 07:55 PM
(a)

Wasn't someone just complaining about the price of used Jems? * *That's two steals in less than one week. *I just got that GMC for $990!

Cool, congrats - pics pics pics!
Old 03-22-2001, 08:49 PM
(a)
Vendor

I thought YOU were always complaining about the price of used Jems!!

Congrats Kenny, mine was one of the 50 unanswered emails.
Old 03-22-2001, 09:29 PM

Kenny, A BFP is indeed an awesome acquisition. I hope you enjoy it as much as I will my MC.
Old 03-22-2001, 10:47 PM
Banned

Dang it!!! *I jumped on that ad also. *The guy said he had someone ahead of me!!!! *I'm glad someone here got it and not someone who wouldn't appreciate it. *Man if you would have hesitated a few minutes it woulda been mine!!!!!! *:biggrin:
Condrats
Old 03-23-2001, 12:18 AM

Kirk... so.. you're the guy who "stole" the GMC... I just missed it. Regrets regrets.... any plans to sell it?
Old 03-23-2001, 03:24 AM
(a)

...never let it be said that Rich can't be beaten to a good deal

I'm back now after my gig - Kevan (who, by the way, is THE MAN) hung out all night (after being here for 2 hours setting the BFP up), took tons of digital pics and helped me pack up my stuff (there's a lot of it). *

We took a bunch of 'posed' shots for my "Jem Family Album" - as soon as he gets 'em to me I'll figure out how to post 'em.

So anyway, about my first night with it...I plugged it right in to my preamp's UV presets and hoped for the best - It was okay sounding - had a lot more of that funky bite I like in the 4 position (clean sound) than the UV or even the 7v I had for a few days. *i think a PAF-7 might be in order for the UV now

Here were my problems, thoughts, compliments:

The guitar looks great. *I saw the pics KEv took and it's real sharp in all of them - a very photogenic guitar.

I was screwed up in the first set a bit for three reasons:
1. I'm not used to playing 6 strings anymore.
2. I'm not used to looking at vines on the neck, so the fretboard was a little hard to read (tried my best to use the dots on the top)
3. The springs are SHOT. *Me and Kevan both noticed it when setting up today - I have .010s on it and we had to screw the spring screws almost all the way in. *Even though i have the same exact strings on the UV, on the BFP they felt like .009s. *I'll go get some new springs tomorrow.

For the first part of the 2nd set, I used the UV which I still felt at home on...I grabbed the BFP for 4 or 5 five songs and after playing the UV, the problems I had disapperaed. *I can't really explain it, but maybe some of you who regularly switch back and forth from 6 to 7 will know what I'm talking about.

Believe it or not, until today, I'd never seen a BFP in person. *It wasn't as brilliant or striking as the pics make it out to be - which is okay - I like the subtlety of it (my wife HATES the fact that the different blues don't match!).

Overall, I'm totally psyched about this guitar. *It's the one I always wanted and I feel that I have the guitars I want and I'm done shopping for a while. *I like the fact that, unlike the 7v I bought, this guitar will hold its value or even appreciate in value if i take decent care of it. *A beat-up BFP can still get $800! *The 7v depreciates $500 the minute you walk out of the store.

and Mr. 'oooo'...the guy's wife said I was the first one on it and I called that dude every 30 seconds until he picked up his phone - and I wasn't going to let him off it until the sale was final. *I sat here and did the online escrow with him on the phone - even 3-way called the escrow company in CA with him on the phone. *nobody had a chance - the will was there *Thank god for cable modem.

They were happy that the person who bought it knew what it was (little did they know...) had been searching for it, appreciated it and was going to play it and not stick it in a case somewhere.

I can't believe you're still reading this. *Is this the longest post ever? *i gotta go to bed. *Thank fer all the well-wishes!

~Kenny

(Edited by kennydoe at 3:32 am on Mar. 23, 2001)
Old 03-23-2001, 03:30 AM
(a)
Vendor

So how was the escrow experience? Hardly anybody ever uses it. (yup, read the whole thing)
Old 03-23-2001, 03:53 AM

Well done!
I'm green with envy.
Not too many bargains to be had here in Blighty!
But, I did speak to someone yesterday who got a reasonable SKY for 275 -that's pretty good.
I'm a relative newbie to all things JEM but now I'm addicted.

Guy
Old 03-23-2001, 03:57 AM
(a)
Vendor

Would that SKY be sky blue or shocking yellow? :biggrin:
Old 03-23-2001, 03:59 AM

It's just a great day when you finally get the one you've been searching for forever.... congratulations =o)
Old 03-23-2001, 08:48 AM
(a)

SKY is the little known, not very popular "Slippery K-Y" Model. *It's clear with a brown swirl. *:-p
~Kenny
Old 03-23-2001, 10:24 AM

kenny, congrats on the BFP !!!

man I wish I could find one that cheap here in Brazil

the same thing I said to Bob O. goes to you: PICS

c-ya
gilberto

Tags
ibanez jem

Show/Hide Posting Rules