<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > JEM and Universe Guitars

JEM and Universe Guitars For discussion of Ibanez JEM and Universe guitars only.

Old 11-01-2010, 06:50 PM
Banned

Re: Check this Fake JEM-7V

Hey! I'm not looking for praise or damnation!! LOL!! I'm asking what justifies $2799 for a Jap made axe? I could go to gmwguitars.com and custom order everything on a 1988 JEM with an ebony board for about $1500 and it would be USA, custom hand built and perfect. Better I shell out $1200 used on EvilBay and end up with a Chinese knock-off misrepresented? I almost got burned on a used JEM555 till I asked all the right (or for the seller wrong) questions. No DiMarzios. Other issues and he was so scared at the end of the conversation he wouldn't even meet with me.

You tell me with a straight face the current JEM7V's are the same quality as the late 90's and I'll tell you at 45 you are a liar! No more ebony boards and a 30% price hike and you wonder what gives genesis to knock-offs. Ibanez has such a bad knock-off in their 333 they won't even sell it in the US!!

Yeah, I am of the mind that one of these knock-offs can be made a nice player with a pickup upgrade and some set-up, maybe a trem upgrade. And, if wrong, I have options to bail on it and still make a profit. That's called capitalism as a back-up if my idealism is wrong!! LOL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
First: stop with the use of "Jap" to describe a guitar.

Second: they aren't legal to sell on ****, they just sneak under the radar from time to time.

Third: Did you expect to come here and be praised for you acumen for picking up a cheap guitar and trying to convince yourself it's as good as the real thing by changing pickups?

You won't find an Ibanez neck to replace the garbage chinese one, because the neck joint is all wrong on those.

The swimming pool route, and lack of shielded paint are no big deal. The garbage materials and workmanship are. Do you really think you will be getting a guitar made of a decent tonewood? If you don't will you just sell the body to some unsuspecting schmuck and buy a $100 Ibanez at a pawnshop to replace put with your $100 Ibanez neck?

Do you even know if a new bridge will fit on the body? The routes on theses nock offs are not to any special spec. Did you even imagine that maybe the bridge wont even be put on in the right place so the strings line up on the body or the guitar properly intonates? If it isnt playable will you just pass it off to some unsuspecting person like yourself?

I'm sure you feel that you are entitled to pay pals protection, but you are willingly buying something you know to be inferior. Pay pal will more than likely protect you, but that doesnt mean what your doing is right.

I should hang up my mod hat so I can tell you what I really think of you and what your doing. It would almost be worth the vacation.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:53 PM
Banned

I say with discrimination one can make out ok on iOffer.com or private builders if you, like having sex with strange, USE PROTECTION of PayPal and have a plan B and C in place.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:59 PM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent-phoenix View Post
And, if wrong, I have options to bail on it and still make a profit. That's called capitalism as a back-up if my idealism is wrong!! LOL!!
If you sell a known crap/fake guitar to some unsuspecting/uneducated person and try to sell it at a profit to boot. That makes you a turd not a Capitalist. It is plain wrong to make someone else pay for your mistake

I made the mistake of buying a Peavey Valveking 212. It has its share of issues and I will not sell it. I will take the loss and throw it away before I would saddle someone else with my bad choice.

It is wrong enough to support the Chinese counterfeiters by buying a known fake but doubles the wrong when you sell it to someone else.

Custom made JEMs are exactly that custom made. There is a world of difference between what the Chinese fakers do and what some dude in his garage makes for himself or another person who asks for a "Custom" made copy.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:00 PM
(a)

I asked you once to stop using the word Jap to describe a guitar, or anything for that matter.

Of course there is a price bump because its a Jem, bu the materials and workmanship are a majority of what makes up the price difference.

Go figure, the price of a guitar went up over a 20 year period, whoddathunmit?
Fretboard material is a preference, the Jem didn;t become inferior to past models because the &VWH went from Ebony to Rosewood. The early Jems had Rosewood boards too. You know the same early ones from the early 90s that are way better than what's being made today.

It's cool to not know what you are talking about and come here for advice, but to NO ONE cares that you're 45. and even though you don't want to admit it, yes, the current Jems are every bit on par with the past ones.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:11 PM

Guitars are worth what someone will pay for them. I'm not a JEM guy so no, I wouldn't pay $2800 for one. I am a PGM guy and paid $2000 for a PGM401 and think it's worth every penny.

Cosmic, c'mon. It's fun to poke trolls with sticks every so often. :P
Old 11-01-2010, 07:16 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Don't you think the guys building these Chinese guitars (and the guys building them in the US in their own garages) might come to a site like this to see how their axes are spotted? Like the serial # deal many have solved for. The Gold knobs and the gold pole pieces on the single coil rather than silver. If I were building these axes like though a company like GMW that can build a better JEM than Ibanez this would be the place to go to nail down the flaws?
Ha ha ha ha! What are you suggesting, that we change the Jemsite motto to "Helping counterfeiters build better Jems?" Bwaaaaaah haaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaaa! Dude, you really need a reality check--or a better understanding of the Ibanez afficianado label. I love Ibanez guitar so much, I want to go buy a fake one!
Old 11-01-2010, 07:17 PM
Banned

So if you buy an amp or guitar and it doesn't suit you, you prefer to be a martyr and just keep it rather than sell it to someone else and let the buyer beware? Hey, if that's how you want to live your life so be it. I've bought used guitars, windexed em off, restrung em, set them up and if I still didn't like them pulled out the digicam and popped it on EvilBay all within a day. Usually made a few bucks, sometimes settled for breaking even but better than collect stuff I won't use. FWIW, I played the Valveking head into a 4x12 and liked it. I could get 70's modded AC/DC Marshall sound to a tighter sound using the shape/contour or whatever that extra control is called. So just because YOU don't care for a piece doesn't make it crap for the rest of the world.

As for how I sleep and do my thing that's me. You want to add a spare room onto your house for all the gear you can't stand because you won't sell it that's up to you. I want to send what doesn't work for me back into the world that's my gig. Again, am I better off spinning the wheel and taking a gamble on a used JEM on EvilBay that could just as easy be a Chinese modified or just go to the source and get one I know is a knock-off on iOffer and deal with it or dump it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
If you sell a known crap/fake guitar to some unsuspecting/uneducated person and try to sell it at a profit to boot. That makes you a turd not a Capitalist. It is plain wrong to make someone else pay for your mistake

I made the mistake of buying a Peavey Valveking 212. It has its share of issues and I will not sell it. I will take the loss and throw it away before I would saddle someone else with my bad choice.

It is wrong enough to support the Chinese counterfeiters by buying a known fake but doubles the wrong when you sell it to someone else.

Custom made JEMs are exactly that custom made. There is a world of difference between what the Chinese fakers do and what some dude in his garage makes for himself or another person who asks for a "Custom" made copy.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:19 PM
Banned

Quote:

Plus, those dudes in garages are making themselves "tribute" guitars, not counterfeits with the intent on selling as originals.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
So if you buy an amp or guitar and it doesn't suit you, you prefer to be a martyr and just keep it rather than sell it to someone else and let the buyer beware? Hey, if that's how you want to live your life so be it. I've bought used guitars, windexed em off, restrung em, set them up and if I still didn't like them pulled out the digicam and popped it on EvilBay all within a day. Usually made a few bucks, sometimes settled for breaking even but better than collect stuff I won't use. FWIW, I played the Valveking head into a 4x12 and liked it. I could get 70's modded AC/DC Marshall sound to a tighter sound using the shape/contour or whatever that extra control is called. So just because YOU don't care for a piece doesn't make it crap for the rest of the world.

As for how I sleep and do my thing that's me. You want to add a spare room onto your house for all the gear you can't stand because you won't sell it that's up to you. I want to send what doesn't work for me back into the world that's my gig. Again, am I better off spinning the wheel and taking a gamble on a used JEM on EvilBay that could just as easy be a Chinese modified or just go to the source and get one I know is a knock-off on iOffer and deal with it or dump it?
Well, this is a "higher standard" message board and most of us have morals. I suggest you either stop hyping your Chibanez views and trying to force-feed your logic on us, or go back over to the pit at Ultimate Guitar--where this kind of BS belongs.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:26 PM
(a)

There is a huge difference between a amp which doesn't suit me and one that design flaws and issues which Peavey Customer Service refuses to address.

VK amps are POS and I made a bad choice in its purchase. I will not sell an amp with problems just to get rid of it. It is call morals. It is call treating folks as you want to be treated and doing the right thing.

Just because I got taken doesn't make it right for me to take someone else.

That is the difference between a pearl and a turd. Guess which one your morals makes you?
Old 11-01-2010, 07:36 PM
Banned

I haven't had this much fun since 12 years ago when I first was introduced to AOL chatrooms and would surf into the Christian rooms and tell them I was a rump rider!!! I'm not but it was a blast with 1/2 of them condemning me and the other 1/2 trying to save me. To think a bunch of folks are so devoted to wood, wire, pot metal and pickups makes me laugh! I played a modified old 80's JAPANESE (happy now?) neckthru Fender wth a $300 price tag and a full sized Duncan Hum and 2 single sized Duncan hums with an old Kahler/Floyd style trem that out-played and out sounded the used JEM7V for $1469 and what's with the Team J thing on the JEM's BTW? I saw a '98 on EvilBay and passed because it didn't look right. Went for $1300 and shipping. Might have been real but since the seller never replied to any of my questions and what I saw of the headstock looked off even with a F98xxxx serial I passed. Between that and the guy with the funky JEM555 I figured I'd come here and find intelligent answers. All I found was lemmings. Not a ONE bothered to say what justifies the cost of a JEM7V yet I own a Korean S470QS and it plays as well as my Jxp S550's.

This was 1/2 sport though I hoped to find a higher intellect than on the ESP forum. I hoped to have someone give some real advice or even alternatives like a well setup JEM555 or ??? Like it or not plenty of solid players play modified chink JEM's and say with swapping pickups and a setup they are pleased and many have taken theirs to G.C. to A/B it with a real JEM7V so are they all idiots as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Secret View Post
Guitars are worth what someone will pay for them. I'm not a JEM guy so no, I wouldn't pay $2800 for one. I am a PGM guy and paid $2000 for a PGM401 and think it's worth every penny.

Cosmic, c'mon. It's fun to poke trolls with sticks every so often. :P
Old 11-01-2010, 07:41 PM
Banned

The Chinese sellers on Ioffer even have a reseller program where one can buy wholoesale and sell retail in the US or anywhere they want! Pretty cool if you can double your dough through Craigslist!

Quote:

Old 11-01-2010, 07:41 PM
(a)

Old 11-01-2010, 07:47 PM
Banned

Then go back to the ESP forum and Christian chatrooms to haveyour fun! We take our Ibbies seriously, and don't take kindly to noobs that come here just to stir the pot. The difference between us and the likes you're used to, is that we have morals. That's also the reason ElCid asked you, more than once to stop using the word Jap. We have Asians here, and some other members are marries to Asians. It's offensive, shows your lack of education and standards, and your inability to play nice in our sandbox.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
The Chinese sellers on Ioffer even have a reseller program where one can buy wholoesale and sell retail in the US or anywhere they want! Pretty cool if you can double your dough through Craigslist!
Christmas is almost here, and I'm asking Santa for you to be banned....

Tags
chrome vine, chrome vine inlay, pro edge

Show/Hide Posting Rules