Complain to Steve about the JEM/UV LINEUP here (no long winded rants elsewhere) - Page 3 - Jemsite
JEM and Universe Guitars For discussion of Ibanez JEM and Universe guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 558 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 01:21 PM

Reviews: 1
Re: Complain to Steve about the JEM/UV LINEUP here (no long winded rants elsewhere)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myst and rain View Post
I think they should have a wider variety of models available.

And why on earth did they discontinue the floral JEM?

Myst
1st point - i agree!! more along the lines of the good old rg550 colour options and how about LEFTIES DONE TO ORDER (even though i'm right handed i know a very annoyed lefty player (PMT!!!) 2nd point - probably because they couldn't get the cloth from the suppliers....or DFKDFC!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 558 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 01:23 PM

Re: Complain to Steve about the JEM/UV LINEUP here (no long winded rants elsewhere)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez249 View Post
Some great posts here.
Where are the sustainers??
I cant help think that the best 20th could have been an affordable Jem with a sustainer. Prehaps just a different colour, or pyramids instead of a vine or something.

But i always expected the 20th to be for the collectors market anyway .
post #33 of 558 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 01:35 PM

Imagine how hard it is for Steve Vai... recording albums, touring the world, writing material, and on top of that having to be responsible for placating the desires of his (I mean this in the best way) guitar-obsessed fans who expect him to put their expectations and wants before his personal tastes.

What if what he wants is an acrylic swirl JEM with LEDs and a black JEM with a vine? His fans may be disappointed by his decisions, but they're HIS shots to call based on what HE WANTS not what he thinks will sell or appeal to the masses the best.

Consider this, if Ibanez gives you a deal, saying they'll make a guitar to your specs and will release a production model with the same specs- what are you really going to think if your fans start complaining about lack of variety in your guitars? Every single feature of each line of Jems has been equally defended and criticized: (neon vs anti-neon, pickups, woods, swirls, budget models, etc.) and making absolutely everyone happy is impossible. The best Steve can do is let his music do the talking... oh, nevermind, people are hopelessly divided over that, too.
post #34 of 558 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 01:45 PM
Dee

Again, and for the billionth time -- we need VARIETY so everyone can be happy!

Regarding the comment that Knowbody posted, black isn't a despised colour, on the right guitar it can look great, but we don't want it on every guitar in the range. Variety. Choice. Those are the key words here. Look at the JEM line up in the early 90's. You'd be crazy not to want at least one of them, there were so many available, as well as brightly coloured RG's, RG770DX (pure class), etc.

If you're making your guitar available to the public, you should consider what the people want, otherwise, just have them made for yourself. It works both ways, see. We pay his wages. The more variety, the more JEM's get sold, the more money Steve Vai earns.
post #35 of 558 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 01:46 PM

I think they're all killer. They're interesting. They're fun to play. They're fun to listen to. They're fun to look at.
post #36 of 558 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demiurge View Post
What if what he wants is an acrylic swirl JEM with LEDs and a black JEM with a vine? His fans may be disappointed by his decisions, but they're HIS shots to call based on what HE WANTS not what he thinks will sell or appeal to the masses the best.
how many dna's does Vai own? how many tenth anniversary guitars? I'm willing to bet that Vai won't do too much with an acrylic guitar. I don't think selling five hundred plastic guitars at six thousand dollars each was completely what he thought needed to be done for the sake of the instrument... for the advancement of guitar as a form of his artistic expression.
post #37 of 558 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Imagine how hard it is for Steve Vai... recording albums, touring the world, writing material, and on top of that having to be responsible for placating the desires of his (I mean this in the best way) guitar-obsessed fans who expect him to put their expectations and wants before his personal tastes.

Consider this, if Ibanez gives you a deal, saying they'll make a guitar to your specs and will release a production model with the same specs- what are you really going to think if your fans start complaining about lack of variety in your guitars? Every single feature of each line of Jems has been equally defended and criticized: (neon vs anti-neon, pickups, woods, swirls, budget models, etc.) and making absolutely everyone happy is impossible. The best Steve can do is let his music do the talking... oh, nevermind, people are hopelessly divided over that, too.
In reference to the 20th...... I kinda like it, but with that said I see no effort to improve on the model. (no ebony, sustainer?) Let alone justify the price tag. Ibanez could have charged $2500.00 (still out of the reach of many) and probably covered the expense of manufacture including a nice profit. They could have done 500 with something unique to each for $5,000.00 USD. (for those interested in throwing money to the wind) Then released the remainder of say 1987 without that one unique feature. (like LED's if it actually has them or a sustainer)

Last edited by jemplayer55; 01-17-2007 at 02:31 PM.
post #38 of 558 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowbody View Post
how many dna's does Vai own? how many tenth anniversary guitars? I'm willing to bet that Vai won't do too much with an acrylic guitar. I don't think selling five hundred plastic guitars at six thousand dollars each was completely what he thought needed to be done for the sake of the instrument... for the advancement of guitar as a form of his artistic expression.
Okay, add to my list in my previous post that he's also held responsible "for the advancement of guitar as a form of his artistic expression." No regular models with sustainers (which he uses now), I'll give people that, but at least Ibz still puts out the UV (which he doesn't use much). If anybody else has any more creative ideas how to advance the electric guitar, by all means do it, but once again, don't saddle Steve Vai with YOUR expectations for the advancement of electric guitars.

Maybe he doesn't outright design models, maybe he only has time to approve them now, but if you want to think of it such, maybe him authorizing these high-priced collectibles is simply rendering unto Caesar (Ibanez) what is Caesar's (the desire to sell high-priced collectibles for a boatload of money a pop). Ibanez is a business and they do business with Steve.
post #39 of 558 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 02:31 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez249 View Post
My biggest annoyance with the whole thing is that WE AREN'T GETTING THE SAME GUITAR THAT STEVE PLAYS...Where are the sustainers? LEDs? Lo-Pro or Edge trems?
This is a big gripe for me too, particularly with the tremolos.

Evo has an original Edge, the 7V (Which please correct me if I'm wrong, is supposed to be a "new" Evo) should have an original Edge, not whatever is the "boutique" trem that year.

The sustainer is a Fernandes thing so I can understand why it isn't found in a production model. The LEDs would be very cool, but would make an expensive guitar a VERY expensive guitar. Maybe offer them as factory custom shop options, but Ibanez doesn't have a custom shop
post #40 of 558 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Okay, add to my list in my previous post that he's also held responsible "for the advancement of guitar as a form of his artistic expression."

don't saddle Steve Vai with YOUR expectations for the advancement of electric guitars.
I never said he was held responsible for anything... I think your searching to find something to get whatever agenda you have across. I'm simply saying something is not kosher if mister "created the seven string guitar" Vai is desiring to own and play acrylic guitars now, as only you have alleged Demiurge.

I saddle steve vai with nothing. The issue at hand, as I understand it, is come here and voice your issues and complaints about the jem/uv lineup. I really think you should start your own "Defend Steve Vai the Jem and UV lineup" thread so you won't have this problem anymore.
post #41 of 558 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 02:38 PM
Dee

Quote:
Ibanez is a business and they do business with Steve.
And with the public. You seem to forget this easily.
post #42 of 558 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
You're missing the point here. It's not a thread to request a wider variety of models or a thread about the FP, it's about our dissatisfaction with the JEM 20th.
Nope. It clearly states "disatisfaction with the Jem/UV Line" in the 1st post, and never mentions the 20th at all

I love the Jems. I'd like to see more of them, and I'd like them not to cost 2 grand plus each. I'd like more fretboard board choices than rosewood, and I'd like another UV as well. The current one is fine, but how about an edge pro option?
Something, anything, with pyramids in maple would be cool. A natural wood top and a double edge would be nice as well. No more dot necks

EBMM's Petrucci models are a recipe to consider; a choice of colors and bridge wouldn't hurt anyone, really. Keep the 7VWH, but offer it with a double edge and maybe in 5 or so colors (various shades of black do not equal colors).... It might be nice to see a red Lace like flame top on a Jem either.
I know the music is more important, and in the end the instruments are simply tools, but I've got about 40 screwdrivers because they each do something the other doesn't do. We'd like more choice, bottom line. No Jem since the SK was retired has come with even a single option. It's been 20 years now; options would be a great new paradigm.

EDIT: Not piling on here Dee, my post just got delayed by a firewall

Last edited by jim777; 01-17-2007 at 02:41 PM. Reason: late posting delay
post #43 of 558 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 02:42 PM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
Nope. It clearly states "disatisfaction with the Jem/UV Line" in the 1st post, and never mentions the 20th at all
Where you been, Jim? Glen changed the thread title after I posted that comment.

PS: Well said.
post #44 of 558 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 02:43 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
...options would be a great new paradigm...
Word.
post #45 of 558 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 02:45 PM

Hell still use the same guitars hes been using for years (evo, flo, mojo etc) no matter what new one comes out, the new ones are his creations and the're made for the public, if he didnt have a sig model and we didnt buy them, ibanez wouldnt keep making guitars for him. He creates them to be sold just like he creates his music to be sold.

Still I dont think he reads too much about our opinions (and I dont blame him).

BTW I think Kirk hammet had an acrylic guitar before the acrylic JS came out, at least we can say it wont happen agian.

Tags
aaa maple , abalone inlays , access neck joint , acoustic guitar , acrylic guitar , alder body , basswood body , basswood guitar , basswood guitars , billy sheehan , black headstock , body shape , buzz feiten , buzz feiten system , buzz feiten tuning system , chrome hardware , chrome jem , clear coat , crystal planet , custom shop , custom shop guitar , dave weiner , dbk jem , death metal , dimarzio paf , dimarzio paf pro , double edge trem , ebony board , ebony boards , ebony finger board , ebony fret board , ebony fretboard , ebony fretboards , edge bridge , edge pros , edge trem , edge trems , electric guitar , equipped guitar , eric clapton , eric johnson , eric johnson strat , ernie ball , evo pickups , evolution pickups , feiten system , feiten tuning system , fender custom shop , fender strat , fender stratocaster , fernandes sustainer , finger board , fingerboard wood , fixed bridge , flame maple , floyd rose , frank gambale , fret board , fretboard wood , fretless guitar , george benson , gibson les paul , guitar players , guitar playing , guitar tech , heavy metal , herc fede , horsie jem , ibanez dealer , ibanez edge trem , ibanez guitars , ibanez jem , ibanez models , ibanez neck , jack socket , jackson soloist , jem custom , jem neck , jimmy page , joe satriani , john petrucci , john scofield , kerry king , kirk hammet , kirk hammett , led inlays , les paul , les paul custom , les pauls , local music store , locking nut , locking nuts , locking stud , locking stud mod , locking studs , maple fret , maple fretboard , monkey grip , music store , neck evo , neck joint , neck joints , neck pickup , neck pickups , paf joe , paf pro , paul gilbert , pearloid pickguard , petrucci model , pro edge , production model , pyramid inlay , pyramid inlays , quilted maple , randy rhoads , recessed trem , reversed headstock , road flare red , root beer jem , rosewood board , rosewood boards , sam ash , sharktooth inlay , sharktooth inlays , signature guitar , signature strat , sounding guitar , srv strat , stainless steel frets , standard jem , steel frets , steve stevens , steve vai , string guitars , super strat , swirl jem , swirled jem , triple neck , truss rod , truss rod cover , tuning system , vwh paint

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode