Complain to Steve about the JEM/UV LINEUP here (no long winded rants elsewhere) - Page 6 - Jemsite
JEM and Universe Guitars For discussion of Ibanez JEM and Universe guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 558 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 06:06 PM

Re: Complain to Steve about the JEM/UV LINEUP here (no long winded rants elsewhere)

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylay00 View Post
Wow Eggy...haha some ESP going on there
Yeah, I even know that right now you're thinking about doughnuts and coffee.

Freaky eh?

Ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 558 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 06:06 PM

Re: Complain to Steve about the JEM/UV LINEUP here (no long winded rants elsewhere)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggy View Post
Yeah, I even know that right now you're thinking about doughnuts and coffee.

Freaky eh?

Ben
Yes indeed.
post #78 of 558 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 07:27 PM

Right here goes,

1 The Jem7VWH should be fitted with a ebony fret board,thats what it started life with and should not be messed with.

2 More swirl patterns should be made,but if they were made they all should look as good as the ones shown in the catalouge,and what I meen by that is Ive never seen a purple multi colour look as good as the one shown in the 1992 catalouge.Its just my opion here dont shoot me down please but multi colours on both Jems and UVs have varied so much in the past from very cool with lots of swirl and colour mix to very poor with large blocks of same colour and not enough balance of colour.The Jem2K dose not apply here as all swirl patterns Ive seen have been first class.

3 A larger range of both Jems and UVs.At least 5 Jems and 3 UVs to chose from.

4 Get back to the roots,7 77 777.Screw the 555 drop it now.Lets have some definition here,Root beers and PBKs were susposed to be the lower end but they kicked ass over the crap box 555s.Lower end Jems should be based on the ideas of these guitars.

5 Bring back the EDGE trems.The EDGE Pro is a far superior trem on paper and does hold its own in real life with no problems,but its not an EDGE.

6 Price to me is ok.Limited edition models will always be over priced by default and 1500 to 2000 for the production lines is not stupid considering what Fender and Gibson want for some of there stuff.

In general more models to chose from please,and maybe some reissues,people want them let them have them.

On the plus side,nice work on the Jem77BRMR,very Vaiish in its differant from the norm in witch it is(I feel)what the origins of the Jem was all about.It made me buy one.
post #79 of 558 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggy View Post
Did you even read the tittle of the thread ?

Ben
No, and I don't really care. Although Glen is the man.
post #80 of 558 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 07:38 PM

I agree - Jem prices are pretty high! This is coming from a potential buyer too.

I have an old les paul custom and a couple taylor acoustic guitars and I'm looking to add another to the stable. I really like the Jem looks. Guitar center nor sam ash carries the jem so I'll keep looking until I hold one myself and make a decision.

But, then I think, $2000+ is a bit much for a guitar made in japan. This is not a car, but a guitar! A USA Jackson or even Carvin made to my specifications (stainless steel frets, etc .. professional set up from the manufacturer and the whole 9) may be the better route, and I'd fork over a little less cash to boot.

Well see though. There does seem to be a big following on the Jems by just looking at this forum.

Oh, and as I read in some post here, I'm not sure how Steve Via could care less what his fans thought?? That doesn't even make sense. There would be no Steve Via "rock star" if there were no fans.
post #81 of 558 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 07:49 PM

Reviews: 5

I have my doubts that Steve will read this stuff, or that he really cares all too much what we think about his guitar. It is after all...his guitar.

Nonetheless, few of us pass up an opportunity to nitpick our favorite guitar.

Here we go.

1. The trend towards gimmicky models... Seriously. Sandblasting, chrome, acrylics, etc. This is not why I buy guitars. If I really wanted a flavor-of-the-month fad guitar, I'd buy a BC Rich. The JEM remains my favorite guitar because, at its best, the JEM represents a very high level of quality and exotic flair in an affordably priced upper-level production guitar. At $1500-$2000, a JEM7VWH was an excellent deal. $7,000 for a plastic guitar is absurd and clearly a different story.

I'd like to see this range move back towards the musician rather than the collector.

2. The steady ratcheting up of price. Why is a JEM7VWH so much more today than it was in 1997? I understand that inflation occurs over time, but we're talking about significant cost increases, not just cost of production. Furthermore, each new JEM seems to be more expensive than the last. The JEM77BRMR, which was no more than a JEM7DBK with a gigantic, and trouble-prone, pickguard-- cost more than the JEM7VWH. In every other respect (inlay, body wood, hardware, finish) the guitar was equal or inferior and yet cost more.
post #82 of 558 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 08:01 PM

glens gonna need some therapy after all this jem 20th stress!!
post #83 of 558 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 08:04 PM
Dee

1: Steve will read this.

2: I agree 100% with Morris Daley about the 555. It should be dropped. Even Dave Weiner doesn't think it should exist and that it dilutes the JEM line. I couldn't agree more. The Root Beer JEM and PBK were some of my favourites and they shouldn't have been stopped. Ass kicking guitars.

3: Edge Pro is OK. It ain't no Edge or Lo-Pro, but it can be better with locking studs fitted and I think they will eventually bring them back. Tak Hosono has mentioned it after several people suggested that guitars could be supplied without them, he seemed to think it's a good idea that the buyers could purchase them separately. The necessary inserts / anchors could come fitted as standard but with no locking studs. The reason they were discontinued is because they kept getting broken by users who didn't know they were there. If the guitars are supplied ready to have them fitted, everyone's a winner.

I'd like to add that Ibanez should stop catering to the ignorant masses. If someone breaks their locking studs because they didn't know they were there, they should try reading the manual. It takes seconds to learn about the feature, I myself had no problems with my first RG550 back in 87, and if a dummy like me can suss it out, I'm sure anyone can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem7vwh View Post
I have my doubts that Steve will read this stuff, or that he really cares all too much what we think about his guitar. It is after all...his guitar.
Again, I doubt this very much. Steve's not the kind of person who doesn't care about his fans, in fact he's quite the opposite. He'll probably come on here one day and tell you all he loves you again as he has done in the past.

Last edited by Dee; 01-17-2007 at 08:13 PM.
post #84 of 558 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 08:55 PM

[QUOTE=jemplayer55;594983]
Now I could be wrong about that price.... someone posted they pre-bought two at 4999.99 plus tax. (hummmmm, $10,000.00 for two guitars sounds like a wise investment to me.... NOT!)

So to sum it up, I felt compelled to place the JEM20th in the thread of "Which are the most overpriced guitars?" [QUOTE=jemplayer55;594983]

Hey Guys,

I am THAT GUY who bought two of them for $4999. Seems like I got them for $1000 off of what the big music websites have them for. Anyway I do play my guitars and have quite a few, that said I have never lost money on any guitars I have ever bought and I have bought several hunderd of them over the years.

Maybe this will be the first time I picked wrong but I dont think so. I think the JEM 20 is unique and fun. Rock & Roll is not supposed to be dull, so I like the attitude of the guitar. If it doesnt work out thats cool, I am not afraid to be the FOOL who parted with his money. Dont think so though.

Brad

Last edited by rareguitar; 01-17-2007 at 09:45 PM.
post #85 of 558 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 08:58 PM

Peeps,
I feel the need to make something clear with all due respect towards Jem and Vai fan's alike and this is really important too:
The dealings between Steve Vai and Ibanez, the details of who controls, designs and allows what, is none of your business.......sorry

That's between Steve and Ibanez. Any comment on this uttered by anyone not involved in the process should be taken as utter speculation at best, complete drivel at worst and anything in between to whatever degree you may see fit.

In the end, ofcourse, the final product is something that is endorsed by both parties.

There is, of course, the posibility that you don't like it. That's a pitty, but not to worry, there are many other guitars and even brands to chose from. Steve nor Ibanez have a final say over your taste after all

Jeroen
Vai.com
post #86 of 558 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 09:07 PM

[QUOTE=jem7vwh;595287]I have my doubts that Steve will read this stuff, or that he really cares all too much what we think about his guitar. It is after all...his guitar.

QUOTE]

+1 he he he

The JEM is designed for Steve Vai, specifically for Steve Vai - if you don't like it, why should he care, really - go and buy something else - or better still get someone to make your own custom signature model.

I'm sure Mr Vai cares deeply about his fans - he seems like a really nice guy, and after all, it's his fans who keep the wolves away from the door, but, c'mon, the JEM is designed for him, to be what he likes, not us! If anyone thinks they are overpriced, fine, spend a third of the price on a 2550, stick in some Rickenbacker pickups, a Bigsby and paint it with tyre black, or whatever, to get the guitar that spins your wheels.
post #87 of 558 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 09:33 PM

Dear Steve:

The new translucent-LED lighted-quasi-swirled JEM sucks and it's overpriced IMHO. I just want a wood body with a cool swirl.

Best Regards,
Felipe
post #88 of 558 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroenn View Post
Jeroen
Vai.com
You officially represent Vai.com now, or do you just like how that looks after your name? Your post sounds an awful lot like "If you don't like it f off".

Last edited by jim777; 01-17-2007 at 09:43 PM.
post #89 of 558 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Peeps,
The dealings between Steve Vai and Ibanez, the details of who controls, designs and allows what, is none of your business.......sorry

Jeroen
Vai.com
But aparently it is yours???

Quote:
There is, of course, the posibility that you don't like it, but not to worry, there are many other guitars and even brands to chose from.

Jeroen
Vai.com
Doesn't sound like words from the man to me
post #90 of 558 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

give it a rest Jeroenn. ...glen

Tags
aaa maple , abalone inlays , access neck joint , acoustic guitar , acrylic guitar , alder body , basswood body , basswood guitar , basswood guitars , billy sheehan , black headstock , body shape , buzz feiten , buzz feiten system , buzz feiten tuning system , chrome hardware , chrome jem , clear coat , crystal planet , custom shop , custom shop guitar , dave weiner , dbk jem , death metal , dimarzio paf , dimarzio paf pro , double edge trem , ebony board , ebony boards , ebony finger board , ebony fret board , ebony fretboard , ebony fretboards , edge bridge , edge pros , edge trem , edge trems , electric guitar , equipped guitar , eric clapton , eric johnson , eric johnson strat , ernie ball , evo pickups , evolution pickups , feiten system , feiten tuning system , fender custom shop , fender strat , fender stratocaster , fernandes sustainer , finger board , fingerboard wood , fixed bridge , flame maple , floyd rose , frank gambale , fret board , fretboard wood , fretless guitar , george benson , gibson les paul , guitar players , guitar playing , guitar tech , heavy metal , herc fede , horsie jem , ibanez dealer , ibanez edge trem , ibanez guitars , ibanez jem , ibanez models , ibanez neck , jack socket , jackson soloist , jem custom , jem neck , jimmy page , joe satriani , john petrucci , john scofield , kerry king , kirk hammet , kirk hammett , led inlays , les paul , les paul custom , les pauls , local music store , locking nut , locking nuts , locking stud , locking stud mod , locking studs , maple fret , maple fretboard , monkey grip , music store , neck evo , neck joint , neck joints , neck pickup , neck pickups , paf joe , paf pro , paul gilbert , pearloid pickguard , petrucci model , pro edge , production model , pyramid inlay , pyramid inlays , quilted maple , randy rhoads , recessed trem , reversed headstock , road flare red , root beer jem , rosewood board , rosewood boards , sam ash , sharktooth inlay , sharktooth inlays , signature guitar , signature strat , sounding guitar , srv strat , stainless steel frets , standard jem , steel frets , steve stevens , steve vai , string guitars , super strat , swirl jem , swirled jem , triple neck , truss rod , truss rod cover , tuning system , vwh paint

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode