Complain to Steve about the JEM/UV LINEUP here (no long winded rants elsewhere) - Page 2 - Jemsite
<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > JEM and Universe Guitars
JEM and Universe Guitars For discussion of Ibanez JEM and Universe guitars only.

Old 01-17-2007, 01:05 PM

Re: Complain to Steve about the JEM/UV LINEUP here (no long winded rants elsewhere)

I've been kinda ignoring these JEM 20th threads until I could actually see some pic's. Well it looks OK, even kinda unique incorporating several suggestions from this site I think. (acrylic, swirl, LNG and Pink bobbins and swirl for those who wanted the old colors back) Heck, I guess there's still speculation it has fancy LED's in it somewhere too!!!! Damn, what more could you as a loyal consumer expect???

So since Steve Vai had final say over what it was going to be...... just what part of public input from his fans did he listen to????? Seems "flash" and creating a guitar valued in "snob" appeal were his main interests! (other than a money grab and revealing a possible mid life crisis?) It looks like Steve and Ibanez will "hit a home run" there.

What truly is disappointing are the numbers attached to this guitar. Especially the price. And for what???? A flashy piece of acrylic? Where's the exotic woods that would help to justify this kind of cash outlay while possibly improving tone? Even a sustainer..... hell anything to enhance tone and beauty! Not even a ebony fret board! But lets all hope it's at least got real mother of pearl and abalone inlays!!!???

Oh I'm sure it will come with a signed certificate of authenticity, maybe even a drop or two of Steve's sweat on a few of those. (something he might work up while signing those 500 certificates) Maybe even a "collectible" pick or two also. (don't count on two though) God the things this man does for his limited fan base!

Heck for the price you'd think they (Steve and Ibanez) would at least throw in some of those premium package concert tickets....... you know, the ones where everyone pays homage to Steve and stands the chance to get another autograph, maybe a pic or two of you standing next to him like you're long lost high school buds. Or maybe brush up against him in hopes some of that coveted DNA will rub off!!! But don't count on that..... you really can't expect that for $5000.00 dollars can you?

Now I could be wrong about that price.... someone posted they pre-bought two at 4999.99 plus tax. (hummmmm, $10,000.00 for two guitars sounds like a wise investment to me.... NOT!)

So to sum it up, I felt compelled to place the JEM20th in the thread of "Which are the most overpriced guitars?"

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showth...863#post594863

But remember now, I did that last night..... we now have a dedicated thread to express our pleasure or disappointment regarding this much anticipated masterpiece of craftsmanship and materials! (besides, if you post anywhere else you'll be risking the wrath of Glen)

So I say we all start running out to our local music store like good little Lemmings and pray luck and your credit card balance/limit is in your favor otherwise...... it's a long drop off the cliff of disappointment!

(a)

Talking

Re: Complain to Steve about the JEM/UV LINEUP here (no long winded rants elsewhere)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myst and rain View Post
I think they should have a wider variety of models available.

And why on earth did they discontinue the floral JEM?

Myst
So they can sell a Reissue batch of 500 at $10.000US in 2012

Regards,

JP

Quote:
I think they should have a wider variety of models available.

And why on earth did they discontinue the floral JEM?

Myst
You're missing the point here. It's not a thread to request a wider variety of models or a thread about the FP, it's about our dissatisfaction with the JEM 20th.

EDIT: This post was written before Glen changed the topic title.

Last edited by Dee; 01-17-2007 at 03:49 PM.. Reason: Because I can.

Old 01-17-2007, 01:07 PM

Bring back a lefty model, even for a short, limited event. They wont sell like hotcakes as a production model, but a limited edition would sell out easily. A limited edition jem comes out every other year (Or so it seems) so next time, make a small batch of lefties.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:13 PM
(a)

Reviews: 18

Well, having had some time to further think about my rant about this guitar, I guess my biggest complain is the price, that's all.

The guitar is what it is and was designed by Steve (I'm assuming) as a commemorative model based on his own personal perspective as to what the Jem was, is and will be. The Jem was always thought of as a guitar ahead of its time and from a different place altogether. It makes sense that this new iteration looks and bears such significant traits that further attest to the previous sentence.

I don't think the guitar is ugly entirely, there are some aspects that attract me to it. At the same rate, there are some features I wish Ibanez would've incorporated. I wish the same abalone used on the vine leaves was added to the edges of the headstock to dress it up a little bit more and maybe a truss rod plate that said "20th" or something.

Glen, I hope this post is more acceptable according to Jemsite's guidelines.

Jimmy
Old 01-17-2007, 01:14 PM

I don't understand all the fuzz, if you don't like it, don't buy it. Period.

Ibanez made some great guitars in the 80s. I love the old stuff, simply not impressed by most of the new stuff.

And the 20th Jem.....well......maybe your average 3 year old likes it. With the lights and all........
Old 01-17-2007, 01:20 PM
(a)
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
You're missing the point here. It's not a thread to request a wider variety of models or a thread about the FP, it's about our dissatisfaction with the JEM 20th.
no... the jem20 whining made this happen but this will be a continuous thread about the entire JEM line. i edited the thread title after reading a few early replies (that just took the jem20 thread here)... glen
Old 01-17-2007, 01:25 PM

Well now I'm confused...... do I delete my post here on the JEM 20th and move my "long winded rant" there???
Old 01-17-2007, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
No, it's not. Just look at this quote from Glen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
If you wish to voice your negative opinion and displeasure with Steve Vai's signature model JEM guitars please do it here and stop littering topics with repitituous rants and raves. Thanks... glen

PS - DO NOT INFILTRATE THIS THREAD WITH JEM20 CRITIQUES AND COMMENTS. THIS IS FOR CONCERNS AND SUGGESTIONS ONLY.
Myst
Old 01-17-2007, 01:28 PM
(a)
site founder 0% owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemplayer55 View Post
Well now I'm confused...... do I delete my post here on the JEM 20th and move my "long winded rant" there???
leave the rant here (as it really serves no purpose in a JEM20 thread where people want to have legitimate conversation about the guitar).... glen
Old 01-17-2007, 01:37 PM

I still think a purple JEM with gold hardware would be pretty cool. With pyramids in the neck... Wow.

Myst
Old 01-17-2007, 01:52 PM

Quote:
No, it's not. Just look at this quote from Glen.

Myst
Bah! The thread title changed!

Quote:
I still think a purple JEM with gold hardware would be pretty cool. With pyramids in the neck... Wow.

Myst
You are kidding, right? That sounds hideous. But anyway.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:52 PM

For the first time in a long while they are making a color of jem that I would consider buying (black) I don't like white guitars... there are no red jems. no sunbursty wood tones that don't have a messed up mokey grip that looks like it was cut with by the new guy at the factory... and I'm sick of guitars that match the couches my mother owns. for ten years I have been an avid fan of the product line but have always held back waiting for all the right specs... as close as they have ever gotten I think may be this new black jem. but now they are far past the lo pros which is the only trem steve actually uses (I figure since the guy doesn't have to settle for crap he is probably playing the better trem) and I'm sure it will be basswood like every other jem I ever thought looked good enough to own. keeping in mind my opinions are my own and that black seems to be a despized color here on the threads... look, I realize steve is a flamboyant character. but there is a market of vai fans who are looking for a quality guitar that isn't pink or flowery or in the shape of a flame or made of platinum and engraved with alien hieroglyphics and I keep feeling like the longer I sit staring at the jem line the more I'm missing in the prestige line that doesn't make me look like the newb onstage who doesn't know how to spend two thousand dollars and make it count. My business has shifted. the best looking jems I have ever seen were handmade by the sponsors of this page and drawn in photoshop by the members of this page. and still I hold out hope. but for now, what I see... it is just too much darn money.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:11 PM

Reviews: 2

While I don't play or own a Jem, my biggest gripe would easily be price as well. I've played several Jems throughout the years and they feel and sound great, but the tag is way too high for those of us who are still in the basement.

I'd like to think the 555 was the correct thought process to resolving this, but a poor implementation IMHO. I think the re-introduction of the 555 line is a good idea, so long as the faults of the original are improved upon. Then, those who can afford a 7V can buy themselves a 7V, and those who can't afford a 7V can still purchase a quality guitar in the image of a virtuoso.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:18 PM
(a)

Some great posts here.

My biggest annoyance with the whole thing is that WE AREN'T GETTING THE SAME GUITAR THAT STEVE PLAYS. Simple as. How can you have a signature model, have the balls to charge premium prices, and then not have all the mod-cons? Where are the sustainers? LEDs? Lo-Pro or Edge trems?

Great guitars in the grand scheme of things though, although this years introduction as left me a bit cold. I'm going on holiday next month the the money I'd saved for a new Jem, how many other people are doing a similar thing?

Tags
aaa maple , abalone inlays , access neck joint , acoustic guitar , acrylic guitar , alder body , basswood body , basswood guitar , basswood guitars , billy sheehan , black headstock , body shape , buzz feiten , buzz feiten system , buzz feiten tuning system , chrome hardware , chrome jem , clear coat , crystal planet , custom shop , custom shop guitar , dave weiner , dbk jem , death metal , dimarzio paf , dimarzio paf pro , double edge trem , ebony board , ebony boards , ebony finger board , ebony fret board , ebony fretboard , ebony fretboards , edge bridge , edge pros , edge trem , edge trems , electric guitar , equipped guitar , eric clapton , eric johnson , eric johnson strat , ernie ball , evo pickups , evolution pickups , feiten system , feiten tuning system , fender custom shop , fender strat , fender stratocaster , fernandes sustainer , finger board , fingerboard wood , fixed bridge , flame maple , floyd rose , frank gambale , fret board , fretboard wood , fretless guitar , george benson , gibson les paul , guitar players , guitar playing , guitar tech , heavy metal , herc fede , horsie jem , ibanez dealer , ibanez edge trem , ibanez guitars , ibanez jem , ibanez models , ibanez neck , jack socket , jackson soloist , jem custom , jem neck , jimmy page , joe satriani , john petrucci , john scofield , kerry king , kirk hammet , kirk hammett , led inlays , les paul , les paul custom , les pauls , local music store , locking nut , locking nuts , locking stud , locking stud mod , locking studs , maple fret , maple fretboard , monkey grip , music store , neck evo , neck joint , neck joints , neck pickup , neck pickups , paf joe , paf pro , paul gilbert , pearloid pickguard , petrucci model , pro edge , production model , pyramid inlay , pyramid inlays , quilted maple , randy rhoads , recessed trem , reversed headstock , road flare red , root beer jem , rosewood board , rosewood boards , sam ash , sharktooth inlay , sharktooth inlays , signature guitar , signature strat , sounding guitar , srv strat , stainless steel frets , standard jem , steel frets , steve stevens , steve vai , string guitars , super strat , swirl jem , swirled jem , triple neck , truss rod , truss rod cover , tuning system , vwh paint

Show/Hide Posting Rules