Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Complain to Steve about the JEM/UV LINEUP here (no long winded rants elsewhere)

231K views 599 replies 237 participants last post by  Jem777DesertDiamond 
#1 · (Edited)
On the eve of the JEM20th announcement, it has become necessary to start a single, organized, contained thread where Ibanez customers of past and present can convey their dissatisfaction of the JEM/UV line to Steve Vai (and indirectly to Ibanez). Some of you are misguided in that you think Ibanez has any control or say over the JEM line, aside from pricing and distribution. They do not.

Here is an estimated breakdown of who controls the Ibanez JEM line. Sure it's slightly exaggerated, but the point it makes should be loud and clear.

99.4% control - Steve Vai
00.5% control - Ibanez (ie. pricing and distribution)
00.1% control - laws of physics & machinery
00.0% control - Ibanez customers and Steve Vai fans

If you wish to voice your negative opinion and displeasure with Steve Vai's signature model JEM guitars please do it here and stop littering topics with repitituous rants and raves. Thanks... glen

PS - DO NOT INFILTRATE THIS THREAD WITH JEM20 CRITIQUES AND COMMENTS. THIS IS FOR CONCERNS AND SUGGESTIONS ONLY.

See less See more
#3 ·
Re: Complain to Steve about the JEM/UV here (no long winded rants elsewhere)

Summon Mikey to this thread and lets get the story straight. According to Steve's original comments from back in the day, he wanted to make the guitar affordable to the musician, the price is a bit much IMO.

#506 ·

Summon Mikey to this thread and lets get the story straight. According to Steve's original comments from back in the day, he wanted to make the guitar affordable to the musician, the price is a bit much IMO.
I don't know. Compared to the "Oops, the neck snapped" garbage that a competitor puts out for much more money for far less guitar, I think they are a decent deal for the performer.

#4 ·

My rule...

Don't like it?

Don't buy it.

It's that simple...

Countless companies have been made and broken by products they have launched all due to the foresight or lack thereof on their part.

However, I doubt this will ever happen. Regardless of how it looks, sounds, plays, people are going to pounce on this. Same thing goes for the 20K blackie or the "new" frakenstrat FMIC is going to release.

I admit, looking at the pictures I cannot but feel dissapointment. However I won't be quick to make a judgement since this guitar has not been physically unveiled at NAMM...I suggest those who have passed such judgements pause to think about it before they post any negativities.

#5 ·

Well in my personal opinion, I think the guitars are priced to high for what they are, but I don't think sales are hurting. However I think all JEM models should be alder as that is what Steve seems to prefer.

This post has been deleted
#10 ·

Ok...I think alot of people can safely say the PICTURE of the JEM on the AMS looks kinda ugly, if nothing else.

Hopefully it's just the white background in that pic that makes it look that way.

We shall see soon enough.
Most of them will probably be gone before namm pictures are out anyway so alot of people waiting for them could be left out. I dont know why they release such horrible stock photos.

#6 ·

Reality check start...

I think too many people give Ibanez too much influence here. Vai can do what he wishes with the Jem line. Ibanez isn't going to boss him around when it comes to the Jems, if they did, he would just bail on them and go to someone else. Ibanez may give him some insight as to what is possible and not possible, but anyone who thinks Ibanez controls the Jem line is not thinking straight. Ibanez controls the pricing, and they are going after the collector's market, just like EVERY other guitar manufacturer. I think we had this same debate about pricing when the JS2s were introduced. Everyone thought that the price was way too high. But Ibanez was right in limiting the guitar and the price point. Example: try to find one now and get it for what you could have gotten one from a dealer for.

The long and short of it is if you don't like the guitar, don't buy it. I don't like certain guitars, and I don't complain about them, nor do I buy them. If anyone here actually thinks for one minute that Ibanez or Vai "care" what we want or what our opinion is about the Jem20th (or any other guitar for that matter), you need to get a serious reality check. And please refrain from the "but they rereleased the 550's because we wanted them" responses: it is a marketing ploy and a chance to tap into the used 550 market, where Ibanez doesn't make any money.

Reality check complete...

Josh

#11 ·

OK. Having had time to think about this, I came to the conclusion that I probably made some rash statements I shouldn't have. I can't afford this guitar, and actually I don't like the look of it, so I shouldn't be so concerned about it. For those of you who buy it, I hope it brings you many years of enjoyment. However, my point was, and always has been, that I think Ibanez are making some bad moves and appear to be ignoring the requests of a large portion of it's user base. BUT... I won't get back into this right here, I understand that this thread is about the JEM 20th and how we feel about it. Thanks, Glen, for starting this thread.

If Steve Vai ever reads this, and somehow I doubt he will but I'll voice my feeling anyway, I'd just like him to know that it's sad how things have turned out. The JEM has gone from being the most interesting, eye-catching guitar on the planet to being the exact opposite. Sure, things change, fashions change, etc., etc., but certain things that make up a classic formula should not be messed with. It's happened to the JEM and also the RG. These have become quite bland, to say the least. Can the JEM range ever be as good as it was in 1994? I just don't see this happening, but I feel it should be even better by now. I'd just like to say it would be great if we could get Ibanez back on track and re-light the fire. I'd also like to echo what jb4674 said regarding Steve wanting to make these guitars affordable to the musician. It isn't really very affordable. Prices may not seem to be so bad in the USA, I think you guys have got it good and should appreciate that, but beyond the USA the prices are crazy. The best example I can think of right now is the RG 20th; in the USA it's $899. That's a good price. In the UK, the same guitar is £849 which is the equivalent of almost $1700. So basically, the RG550, which was originally created to be an affordable, stripped-down version of the JEM is quite out of reach for many of us. Apart from that, it will be very difficult for many of us to even get hold of one. I always wanted a JEM. After 20 years I still can't afford one, but I am trying my hardest to come up with the money for an RG 20th.

Please -- let's get Ibanez back onto the right track and inject some life back into the range. Let's also not forget about how you set out to make great instruments available to the musician at affordable prices. That's pretty much it. Good day.

#419 ·

OK. Having had time to think about this, I came to the conclusion that I probably made some rash statements I shouldn't have. I can't afford this guitar, and actually I don't like the look of it, so I shouldn't be so concerned about it. For those of you who buy it, I hope it brings you many years of enjoyment. However, my point was, and always has been, that I think Ibanez are making some bad moves and appear to be ignoring the requests of a large portion of it's user base. BUT... I won't get back into this right here, I understand that this thread is about the JEM 20th and how we feel about it. Thanks, Glen, for starting this thread.

If Steve Vai ever reads this, and somehow I doubt he will but I'll voice my feeling anyway, I'd just like him to know that it's sad how things have turned out. The JEM has gone from being the most interesting, eye-catching guitar on the planet to being the exact opposite. Sure, things change, fashions change, etc., etc., but certain things that make up a classic formula should not be messed with. It's happened to the JEM and also the RG. These have become quite bland, to say the least. Can the JEM range ever be as good as it was in 1994? I just don't see this happening, but I feel it should be even better by now. I'd just like to say it would be great if we could get Ibanez back on track and re-light the fire. I'd also like to echo what jb4674 said regarding Steve wanting to make these guitars affordable to the musician. It isn't really very affordable. Prices may not seem to be so bad in the USA, I think you guys have got it good and should appreciate that, but beyond the USA the prices are crazy. The best example I can think of right now is the RG 20th; in the USA it's $899. That's a good price. In the UK, the same guitar is £849 which is the equivalent of almost $1700. So basically, the RG550, which was originally created to be an affordable, stripped-down version of the JEM is quite out of reach for many of us. Apart from that, it will be very difficult for many of us to even get hold of one. I always wanted a JEM. After 20 years I still can't afford one, but I am trying my hardest to come up with the money for an RG 20th.

Please -- let's get Ibanez back onto the right track and inject some life back into the range. Let's also not forget about how you set out to make great instruments available to the musician at affordable prices. That's pretty much it. Good day.
Hi, man! I can agree to your opinion about the price different between countries.
A JEM 77V in Sweden Costs 32000:- SEK wich would be about $4029. Looked that up at an US internet music store at $2500. With that price different it feels unfairly expensive.

As I´m owning a JEM10th in pretty good condition, i can only say that it must be a matter of priority in life. I just had myself this one and offered a lot of other things in life and got it at last. Never regret it (solid rock guitar) :D

"Rock-on, bro"

#12 ·

Question:

How many of those who find the guitar ugly actually have 7k in their pockets, and would actually have bought a 20th if they liked the design? I'm sure very, very few of the "ranters" are in that group, the rest...useless internet time! Why would I complain Ferrari doesn't make swirled cars, if I only drive a Toyota?

What I think is a valid complain is the absence of a sustainer in the Jem line, which obviosly breaks the "play what the artist plays" rule. I know the reason for this, but it's not for me to say.

#16 ·
I've been kinda ignoring these JEM 20th threads until I could actually see some pic's. Well it looks OK, even kinda unique incorporating several suggestions from this site I think. (acrylic, swirl, LNG and Pink bobbins and swirl for those who wanted the old colors back) Heck, I guess there's still speculation it has fancy LED's in it somewhere too!!!! Damn, what more could you as a loyal consumer expect???

So since Steve Vai had final say over what it was going to be...... just what part of public input from his fans did he listen to????? Seems "flash" and creating a guitar valued in "snob" appeal were his main interests! (other than a money grab and revealing a possible mid life crisis?) It looks like Steve and Ibanez will "hit a home run" there.

What truly is disappointing are the numbers attached to this guitar. Especially the price. And for what???? A flashy piece of acrylic? Where's the exotic woods that would help to justify this kind of cash outlay while possibly improving tone? Even a sustainer..... hell anything to enhance tone and beauty! Not even a ebony fret board! But lets all hope it's at least got real mother of pearl and abalone inlays!!!???

Oh I'm sure it will come with a signed certificate of authenticity, maybe even a drop or two of Steve's sweat on a few of those. (something he might work up while signing those 500 certificates) Maybe even a "collectible" pick or two also. (don't count on two though) God the things this man does for his limited fan base!

Heck for the price you'd think they (Steve and Ibanez) would at least throw in some of those premium package concert tickets....... you know, the ones where everyone pays homage to Steve and stands the chance to get another autograph, maybe a pic or two of you standing next to him like you're long lost high school buds. Or maybe brush up against him in hopes some of that coveted DNA will rub off!!! But don't count on that..... you really can't expect that for $5000.00 dollars can you?

Now I could be wrong about that price.... someone posted they pre-bought two at 4999.99 plus tax. (hummmmm, $10,000.00 for two guitars sounds like a wise investment to me.... NOT!)

So to sum it up, I felt compelled to place the JEM20th in the thread of "Which are the most overpriced guitars?"

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=594863#post594863

But remember now, I did that last night..... we now have a dedicated thread to express our pleasure or disappointment regarding this much anticipated masterpiece of craftsmanship and materials! (besides, if you post anywhere else you'll be risking the wrath of Glen) :lol:

So I say we all start running out to our local music store like good little Lemmings and pray luck and your credit card balance/limit is in your favor otherwise...... it's a long drop off the cliff of disappointment!

#84 · (Edited)
Now I could be wrong about that price.... someone posted they pre-bought two at 4999.99 plus tax. (hummmmm, $10,000.00 for two guitars sounds like a wise investment to me.... NOT!)

So to sum it up, I felt compelled to place the JEM20th in the thread of "Which are the most overpriced guitars?"
Hey Guys,

I am THAT GUY who bought two of them for $4999. Seems like I got them for $1000 off of what the big music websites have them for. Anyway I do play my guitars and have quite a few, that said I have never lost money on any guitars I have ever bought and I have bought several hunderd of them over the years.

Maybe this will be the first time I picked wrong but I dont think so. I think the JEM 20 is unique and fun. Rock & Roll is not supposed to be dull, so I like the attitude of the guitar. If it doesnt work out thats cool, I am not afraid to be the FOOL who parted with his money. Dont think so though.

Brad

#19 ·
Bring back a lefty model, even for a short, limited event. They wont sell like hotcakes as a production model, but a limited edition would sell out easily. A limited edition jem comes out every other year (Or so it seems) so next time, make a small batch of lefties.

#20 ·
Well, having had some time to further think about my rant about this guitar, I guess my biggest complain is the price, that's all.

The guitar is what it is and was designed by Steve (I'm assuming) as a commemorative model based on his own personal perspective as to what the Jem was, is and will be. The Jem was always thought of as a guitar ahead of its time and from a different place altogether. It makes sense that this new iteration looks and bears such significant traits that further attest to the previous sentence.

I don't think the guitar is ugly entirely, there are some aspects that attract me to it. At the same rate, there are some features I wish Ibanez would've incorporated. I wish the same abalone used on the vine leaves was added to the edges of the headstock to dress it up a little bit more and maybe a truss rod plate that said "20th" or something.

Glen, I hope this post is more acceptable according to Jemsite's guidelines.

Jimmy:smile:

#21 ·
I don't understand all the fuzz, if you don't like it, don't buy it. Period.

Ibanez made some great guitars in the 80s. I love the old stuff, simply not impressed by most of the new stuff.

And the 20th Jem.....well......maybe your average 3 year old likes it. With the lights and all........

#28 ·
For the first time in a long while they are making a color of jem that I would consider buying (black) I don't like white guitars... there are no red jems. no sunbursty wood tones that don't have a messed up mokey grip that looks like it was cut with by the new guy at the factory... and I'm sick of guitars that match the couches my mother owns. for ten years I have been an avid fan of the product line but have always held back waiting for all the right specs... as close as they have ever gotten I think may be this new black jem. but now they are far past the lo pros which is the only trem steve actually uses (I figure since the guy doesn't have to settle for crap he is probably playing the better trem) and I'm sure it will be basswood like every other jem I ever thought looked good enough to own. keeping in mind my opinions are my own and that black seems to be a despized color here on the threads... look, I realize steve is a flamboyant character. but there is a market of vai fans who are looking for a quality guitar that isn't pink or flowery or in the shape of a flame or made of platinum and engraved with alien hieroglyphics and I keep feeling like the longer I sit staring at the jem line the more I'm missing in the prestige line that doesn't make me look like the newb onstage who doesn't know how to spend two thousand dollars and make it count. My business has shifted. the best looking jems I have ever seen were handmade by the sponsors of this page and drawn in photoshop by the members of this page. and still I hold out hope. but for now, what I see... it is just too much darn money.

#29 ·
While I don't play or own a Jem, my biggest gripe would easily be price as well. I've played several Jems throughout the years and they feel and sound great, but the tag is way too high for those of us who are still in the basement.

I'd like to think the 555 was the correct thought process to resolving this, but a poor implementation IMHO. I think the re-introduction of the 555 line is a good idea, so long as the faults of the original are improved upon. Then, those who can afford a 7V can buy themselves a 7V, and those who can't afford a 7V can still purchase a quality guitar in the image of a virtuoso.

#30 ·
Some great posts here.

My biggest annoyance with the whole thing is that WE AREN'T GETTING THE SAME GUITAR THAT STEVE PLAYS. Simple as. How can you have a signature model, have the balls to charge premium prices, and then not have all the mod-cons? Where are the sustainers? LEDs? Lo-Pro or Edge trems?

Great guitars in the grand scheme of things though, although this years introduction as left me a bit cold. I'm going on holiday next month the the money I'd saved for a new Jem, how many other people are doing a similar thing?

#33 ·
Imagine how hard it is for Steve Vai... recording albums, touring the world, writing material, and on top of that having to be responsible for placating the desires of his (I mean this in the best way) guitar-obsessed fans who expect him to put their expectations and wants before his personal tastes.

What if what he wants is an acrylic swirl JEM with LEDs and a black JEM with a vine? His fans may be disappointed by his decisions, but they're HIS shots to call based on what HE WANTS not what he thinks will sell or appeal to the masses the best.

Consider this, if Ibanez gives you a deal, saying they'll make a guitar to your specs and will release a production model with the same specs- what are you really going to think if your fans start complaining about lack of variety in your guitars? Every single feature of each line of Jems has been equally defended and criticized: (neon vs anti-neon, pickups, woods, swirls, budget models, etc.) and making absolutely everyone happy is impossible. The best Steve can do is let his music do the talking... oh, nevermind, people are hopelessly divided over that, too.

#36 ·
What if what he wants is an acrylic swirl JEM with LEDs and a black JEM with a vine? His fans may be disappointed by his decisions, but they're HIS shots to call based on what HE WANTS not what he thinks will sell or appeal to the masses the best.
how many dna's does Vai own? how many tenth anniversary guitars? I'm willing to bet that Vai won't do too much with an acrylic guitar. I don't think selling five hundred plastic guitars at six thousand dollars each was completely what he thought needed to be done for the sake of the instrument... for the advancement of guitar as a form of his artistic expression.

#34 ·
Again, and for the billionth time -- we need VARIETY so everyone can be happy!

Regarding the comment that Knowbody posted, black isn't a despised colour, on the right guitar it can look great, but we don't want it on every guitar in the range. Variety. Choice. Those are the key words here. Look at the JEM line up in the early 90's. You'd be crazy not to want at least one of them, there were so many available, as well as brightly coloured RG's, RG770DX (pure class), etc.

If you're making your guitar available to the public, you should consider what the people want, otherwise, just have them made for yourself. It works both ways, see. We pay his wages. The more variety, the more JEM's get sold, the more money Steve Vai earns.

#45 ·
Hell still use the same guitars hes been using for years (evo, flo, mojo etc) no matter what new one comes out, the new ones are his creations and the're made for the public, if he didnt have a sig model and we didnt buy them, ibanez wouldnt keep making guitars for him. He creates them to be sold just like he creates his music to be sold.

Still I dont think he reads too much about our opinions (and I dont blame him).

BTW I think Kirk hammet had an acrylic guitar before the acrylic JS came out, at least we can say it wont happen agian.