Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Complain to Steve about the JEM/UV LINEUP here (no long winded rants elsewhere)

231K views 599 replies 237 participants last post by  Jem777DesertDiamond 
#1 · (Edited)
On the eve of the JEM20th announcement, it has become necessary to start a single, organized, contained thread where Ibanez customers of past and present can convey their dissatisfaction of the JEM/UV line to Steve Vai (and indirectly to Ibanez). Some of you are misguided in that you think Ibanez has any control or say over the JEM line, aside from pricing and distribution. They do not.

Here is an estimated breakdown of who controls the Ibanez JEM line. Sure it's slightly exaggerated, but the point it makes should be loud and clear.

99.4% control - Steve Vai
00.5% control - Ibanez (ie. pricing and distribution)
00.1% control - laws of physics & machinery
00.0% control - Ibanez customers and Steve Vai fans

If you wish to voice your negative opinion and displeasure with Steve Vai's signature model JEM guitars please do it here and stop littering topics with repitituous rants and raves. Thanks... glen

PS - DO NOT INFILTRATE THIS THREAD WITH JEM20 CRITIQUES AND COMMENTS. THIS IS FOR CONCERNS AND SUGGESTIONS ONLY.

See less See more
#293 ·
It's not speculation that nearly all incoming Prestige and Signature models are coming in to fill existing orders, and that the ones that aren't are quickly snapped up ;)

[Not that there aren't models that just do not sell like the BRMR's that collected dust]

#295 ·
You see the 20th as some money making machine for them and the reality is far from it. Will they profit? Absolutely. But it's a drop in the bucket of the Ibanez well where most of their profits are coming from the guitars they sell in 10's of thousands, not hundreds.

What decision am *I* defending? Not giving you an Edge trem on a VWH? I'll defend that decision. Not giving us locking studs back? No defense for that.

#297 · (Edited)
I've been a fan of the Jem from the beginning and a Jem owner for about 13 years. Like some others, I miss the dynamic appearance and the diversity of the older Jem lines. Truly, if you're buying a Jem because you want a Steve Vai guitar, then a Jem based on what SSV is current using or is interested in designing is the way to go. As SSV has evolved, so has the line. It's the Steve Vai model - in reality, how can it be that if it's not what he'd like it to be.

I'm a huge Vai fan but my affection for the Jem is not related to that. So, of course, there are things I would love to see brought back or featured on a new models. I think it would be great to see the variety of having the choice of 7, 77, and 777 models again and I certainly miss color. An old-spec Jem or Universe could be approached as a reissue model or perhaps a "then & now" comparitive variety to the line.

What I really think is lacking is Jem and Universe memoribilia. Especially the Jem - it was and still is an iconic guitar. Pictures, posters, stickers, shirts, , etc. I'm surprised there haven't been Jem lapel pins or pendants made like there have been for Fenders, Gibsons, Jacksons, and BC Riches. I'd be totally jazzed if there was currently some official Jem and UV swag similar to what Fender and Gibson have been doing the past few years. This would also give Hoshino another item to sell to people who are Vai fans that either don't play or who are not currently in a position to buy a new guitar.

Mike 777 Haug

#302 ·
True, and you could also add other improvement that are not really innovative but are worth mentioning like the 5 and 3 pice necks, the ep2 and ep3, and going a back a little further the double edge.

But since the Jem/RG, S, and R/JS time (along with the pyramids, the cosmo black, the sharktooth and the edge, as well as the association with di marzio) they haven produce a major leap forward in guitar making/or cosmetics).

I guess if you are in a compfortable situation with your current line up you just dont need to do so. As I said, the fact that they enjoy a dominant position, that they are acknowledge as one fo the big 3, etc, etc, has change their needs and strategies (which is to be expected).

They also havent signed a new major endorser in years (at least "mucsician oriented" ones). As a matter of fact they lost a couple.

George Benson, John Scofield, Path Metheny, Vai, Satch and Paul Gilbert have been there main (not bands) big endorsers for more than 15-20 years

John Petrucci and Frank Gambale left a few years ago.

They had several others that they lost along the way that had pretty cool signature models.

I guess its a matter of personal preference and tastes, but Id rather have an RBM2 on the list price than the Noodles talman. I cant blame this on ibanez though since it has more to do with music trends.

In any case, the really cool models they released in the past have been mostly limited editions that were not available to the general public (the 1997 run of J Customs, the giger S, and other anniversary models).

The fact that they release over the top guitars as anniversary or limited edition models means that there is at least some market for over the top Ibanez. Its too bad that the regular line up doesnt reflect that

#309 ·
I didn't want to post any comment, but here it goes anyway:
I didn't read the 16 pages of this thread, 'cause I don't believe I'll read something different from the 10 first pages. Having said that, here's my opinion. I don't find any reason why Steve has to do or not do anything for anybody when it comes to his guitars. I think that most of you forget that the JEM it's Steve Vai's guitar. It was made for him, and for him only! He didn't design it thinking what the future fans will think of it! Even if he knew it'd go into mass production. He thought of his own needs, what HE wanted in an instrument. That can't be criticized in anyway! When it comes to this, you only have two choices: go for it if you like it, or buy a another guitar. It's as simple as that. You can't expect Ibanez to make the guitar YOU like exclusively. And if you do, as someone said, invest your time in practising, get a record deal and try getting and endorsement deal from Ibanez and make your signature product. I don't believe Ibanez or Vai (in the choices that he makes for releasing a new JEM guitar) will ever make an instrument for every body's liking. That's virtually impossible. I also read that Mr. Vai doesn't play many of the instruments that Ibanez release to the market... well, he approves the concepts, but it doesn't mean he HAS to play them live. I'm sure he does for publicity purposes, but that's about it. And actually I don't see what's wrong with it. About the variety of JEM's, I'm not sure that Ibanez would have to expand the JEM family more than they've already done. I don't see Fender producing all types of SRV's number 1 or Eric Clapton's signature model, except for the colors. You want another bridge, buy another model. You want a sustainer in it... buy it and replace the neck EVO, as Vai did. Talk about the JEM20th, and complaining about been made of acrylic and without sustainer or every little thing I read about. I'm sure that if it would have been made of solid Mahogany (just to name a good piece of wood), with all the old colors swirl or just the old solid colors, with a sustainer in it, with the truss-rod cover 20th engraving, and a pyramid inlay in a maple or ebony (which, by the way, it's not been used anymore due to protective laws. Seems like we're running out of ebony in the world!) fingerboard (just to use some suggestions I read over the thread), I believe that there would still be complaints about it! As I said, it's impossible to cover everyone's liking. Now to the other important issue: prices. Yes, I find the JEM7VWH (or so) expensive. However, as someone said, is not far expensive from a Gibson Les Paul or a Fender Stratocaster Eric Clapton or SRV signature model (which I find extremely overpriced for whay they actually are, comparing them with other Fender Srats). You want a cheaper JEM, get a 555, and live with it (I own a JEM333, and I'm more than happy with it). I like the Ferrari Enzo, but I don't complaint about the price just because I can't buy one. Beside, many of you own more than one JEM. So, what are you complaing about? If it was too expensive when you bought them, but did it still, don't complain. About the pricing in the JEM20th, I've explained it here http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60683&page=2
You may or may not agree, but that's the way I see it and understand it. I don't see why Mr. Vai have to answer for what the fans have to say about HIS guitars. He creates music, not instruments. And for Ibanez part... they just do what they think Mr. Vai and most of their public will like. If you or me are not included, then... too bad for all of us (less money for them, and fewer guitars for us). but that's the way it is. It's about business as well as making "works of arts" (as Mike said in his first post). It's about business. Sorry for the lenght of the post.

#316 ·
I think that most of you forget that the JEM it's Steve Vai's guitar. It was made for him, and for him only! He didn't design it thinking what the future fans will think of it! Even if he knew it'd go into mass production. He thought of his own needs, what HE wanted in an instrument.
First of all, Steve designed the Jem knowing fully that it was going to be mass produced from the getgo, get your facts straight.

You want a sustainer in it... buy it and replace the neck EVO, as Vai did. Talk about the JEM20th, and complaining about been made of acrylic and without sustainer or every little thing I read about. I'm sure that if it would have been made of solid Mahogany (just to name a good piece of wood), with all the old colors swirl or just the old solid colors, with a sustainer in it, with the truss-rod cover 20th engraving, and a pyramid inlay in a maple or ebony (which, by the way, it's not been used anymore due to protective laws. Seems like we're running out of ebony in the world!) fingerboard (just to use some suggestions I read over the thread), I believe that there would still be complaints about it!.
Ibanez will do anything Steve wants. Since Steve is his main endorsee, he has complete control over what the Jem models will have (read the many posts about it).

Now to the other important issue: prices. Yes, I find the JEM7VWH (or so) expensive. However, as someone said, is not far expensive from a Gibson Les Paul or a Fender Stratocaster Eric Clapton or SRV signature model (which I find extremely overpriced for whay they actually are, comparing them with other Fender Srats). You want a cheaper JEM, get a 555, and live with it (I own a JEM333, and I'm more than happy with it). I like the Ferrari Enzo, but I don't complaint about the price just because I can't buy one. Beside, many of you own more than one JEM. So, what are you complaing about?
You gotta be kidding right? Do you have any idea what you're talking about? The price of a Gibson LP is close to or more (depending on the LP model) than what a Jem costs. comparing those two with the prices for an SRV Strat or a Clapton Strat is completely bogus, as those guitars are over $1000.00 less than a Gibson LP or a Jem.

The main reason people complained about the 20th was the fact that it was made out of acrylic. Everyone wanted a guitar made out of wood that would surpass what the 10th was. When the 20th came out, there were a lot of diappointed people here because Ibanez could've done better (read the 20th thread).

I was going to get a 20th but, when I heard it was made out of acrylic, that was my deterrent. I'd rather buy a Crystal Planet anyday, as I think the guitar is much more elegant than the 20th. The prices are not that big of an issue IMO. I bought a brand new JS2PRM and I never complained about the price because I knew what I was getting into.

Jimmy:smile:

#310 ·
I can agree with you Crush to a certian extent but theres something that bothers me with the whole thing. Like it or not Steves name is attached to it. Like it or not you dont think of a Jem without thinking of Steve Vai. Im sure there are people that buy Jems because of the way they play and not because its Steve sig model but if I were him I would be very concerned over a product with my name on it. Do you think Michael Jordan really doesnt care what people think of Air Jordans? Do you think he'd care if they suddenly shot up to say 800.00 a pair and the fans that he has started bitching that they couldnt afford them?
Bottom line is if people get pissed that Ibanez puts out a 5000.00 Jem and doesnt do anything new with the line except raise the price then that reflects on Steve also. The production line of Jems isnt exactly what Steve plays anyway so adding some mods to the stock product shouldnt be a problem, but to throw a VWH into a black paint booth instead of a white one really isnt an improvement for me.

#311 · (Edited)
Im sure there are people that buy Jems because of the way they play and not because its Steve sig model but if I were him I would be very concerned over a product with my name on it. Do you think Michael Jordan really doesnt care what people think of Air Jordans? Do you think he'd care if they suddenly shot up to say 800.00 a pair and the fans that he has started bitching that they couldnt afford them?
I understand what you mean, but my point is that he's not putting his name on a ****y product. They're still quality products, so I don't think he's worried about it. Even on the JEM555 or 333, he makes an implicit statement by putting his name on them, which is (to my understanding) "I'm against chibanez, so here's my cheap signature model", or something like that. Besides, the only really expensive guitar is the JEM20th, which is an excluvisve, collectible, commemorative model. It's not a mass production guitar. So, it's understandable that it costs so much. There's no reason to bitch about it. The same happens with some car models. Ferrari, Vipers, Porsche, Coverttes. They are all exclusive, and very expensive... and more if they're re-design by someone famous in the car industry (Chip Foose, Pininfarina, among others). That's the way the business are. Take it or leave it, but don't bitch about it just cause you can't get it. Besides, lots of people here will end up buying a Jem 20th anniversary anyway, so I don't see the poing in bitching so much about it! But that's just my opinion.

Edit: I think that Air Jordan is now a brand of ifself, more than a specific model. So, he can control everything about them, pricing, colors, etc., and not just approve certain aspects of them. In this case, Mr. Vai isn't the owner or CEO of Ibanez... he's just an endorser of their products. In the long run, it's the MKT department who'll decide about the final product.

#313 ·
Probably because he cannot control absolutely everything that goes on in Ibanez when it comes to final decisions; and I'm sure there was a lot of money involved too.
Of course it was a marketing decision! But we can't question every little thing Ibanez and Mr. Vai do! Come on, you guys! You're all starting to sound like a mother-in-law! Questioning every little thing that Ibanez or Vai do. I stand up to what I said earlier: they'll never come up with something that everybody will like, with no exceptions. That's impossible. So, keep that in mind when you see something that you don't like, instead of criticized it. What's no good for you, doesn't mean is not good for somebody else.

#314 ·
my only beef is the new VBK has a vine rather than pyramids when even on HIS website it was stated that it was designed as a look-a-like companion to the Universe (i'm paraphrasing, of course ;) ). putting the same inlay as the VWH was cutting corners IMHO and considering there isn't a pyramid inlayed JEM being offered when that was one of the biggest trademarks of the series next to the monkey grip, i'm kinda dissapointed. i would get a VBK in a second if it had pyramids instead of the same vine i have on my VWH. it's just not financially feasable for me to buy one and have the fretboard/inlays changed out.
they did the same thing with the JEM20th, used the same VWH neck to cut costs on production. of course i'm second guessing them about their decision making but still, WTF??? where are the pyramids???

#315 ·
I understand the marketing aspect of the whole thing and I will give Ibanez credit for getting the biggest bang for their buck because no matter what Steves roll in this whole thing is, it doesnt matter we continually pay whatever Ibanez asks for their product. I guess Im still stuck in the 80s when I thought Ibanez was my guitar. I remember defending Ibanez against all the Gibson, Fender and that new company at the time Kramer. I actually brought alot of guys I knew over to Ibanez and if anyone said they sucked then it was time for a fight and when they played an Ibanez for the first time they were hooked just like I was.
What I wont get over is the mentality at Ibanez now to blatently cut corners that cheapen their rep. Sticking the same vine inlay on the new jems is a perfect example it was a cost cut and nobody is going to tell me different. Its like heres Steves new model. Well not really new but its a different color so give me your 2 grand and be happy about it. Its Steves name attached to the thing so he has to bear some of the responsibility. Does he care, probably not but you cant tell me if he said to Ibanez "Hey whats going on with my guitars and we need to do something or maybe I go to someone who will ". Somebody is going to listen.
I just had a thought that scares me though. Maybe he thinks theres nothing wrong. Okay that throws my whole theory out the window.
I know you cant please all the people all the time but dont you need to try to please some of the people some of the time? I would expect Fender or Gibson to say heres our Strat or Les Paul, love it or hit the road but for Ibanez I never expected it.
One last thing. Alot of people bitch on this site about Ibanez and this probably isnt the thread for this discussion but we wouldnt bitch so much if we werent all so loyal to this product. Initially I bought my first Jem because of Steve. I saw him playing it and I had to have one because it was just soooooo cool. Lately its just an RG with a hole in it. So maybe the problem is me and not Ibanez. I was really excited this year to see what new Jem was coming out and when I saw it I actually had to laugh because alot of people called it on this site. Black Jem. It makes me feel like Ibanez is laughing at us all.

#317 ·
goalkpr101, you said a few things that I truely understand, really. I used to be a Fender Stratocaster guy, and there was no guitar in the world that could beat the Strat specs. In fact, I used to say that never in this life I'd buy an Ibanez guitar, 'cause it wasn't confortable enough for me. Then I played a MIJ RG (we get a lot of Gio's in Argentina, more than we get the Japanese RG's) and that was it! Not to say the first time I played a Jem. I was amazed by it. The most confortable guitar I've ever played. So, I do understand what you mean in the first part of your post.
What I really don't understand, it's extreme fanatism. I understand the thing about being so loyal to the product, but let's keep in mind that Ibanez is business company. They're not only about making lovely guitars, for they also like to make money. And if you ask me, now a days, it's all about "how can I reach everybody so I can make more money". As someone said a few pages back, for each person who won't pay for a specific product, there are 5 willing to do it. So, they don't really care about how loyal a group of people are... there are going be others. For one customer they lose, they gain five new ones. That's how business are done. About what you said: "I would expect Fender or Gibson to say heres our Strat or Les Paul, love it or hit the road but for Ibanez I never expected it." Why wouldn't you? They came to business with an alternative product in the 80's, right? But they had the same policy that Fender or Gibson, or Kramer or whatever: "This is our product, the price and looks. Now, take it or leave it." And they stick to what they've been doing for the past 20 years 'cause they know that they can't please everyone, and if they please a few ones, others will go bitching that they didn't get what they wanted. So, they have a few products that sells great, so they stick to them. They are not a custom shop, and they are not the Make a Noise Foundation. That's what most of the people has to understand. They don't do charity and they can't please each and everyone of their customers. They offer their catalog, you like it, you buy it. And they sure know that they're offering quality products. And regarding the Vai issue, he also knows that. He may not played them (talking about the cheap guitars, specificaly), but understand the overall policy involved in it. Maybe Ibanez screwed him over with the "Steve Vai" inlay in the Jem555, but I don't think that will be reason enough for Steve to leave the company or anything.

#319 ·
Well in the 80's the DY Jem I bought was the coolest. Plenty of wild and downright feggy color choices in other axes of the time as well. Remember the Steve Stevens pink Hamer. Unique inlays, handle, and claw sold me on the Jems. The material top concept was very cool. Now the mirror and the lucite toy is hot. I grew out of the neon stage and want to stay away from idol worship as I get older. High school was fine but people who want to find out what toilet paper Satch uses makes me laugh.

#323 ·
funny, I am a new member here, and I have been an Ibanez player/lover since I got my first Ibanez guitar in 1991 UVPWH, the second Ibanez I bought was a Jem777BFP, which I loved, but had had stolen from me.
now...
I have bought, I dunno about 8 various RG's and others since then, and I got to tell you.. I am very disappointed in the price points of the new Jem guitars..
I think everyone on **** is out of their minds, with their pricing, but they must be doing something right, cause people are paying what they want!!!

I bought my BFP for about 1200 new with a case...
I went to a local music store, and saw a god awful white jem with gold hardware,, yeah.. like im going to buy that, it looks like a Persians Mercedes,
no offense to persians or mercedes out there. however, it just looks 'tacky' to me.
but they wanted 2600 for it!!!! with out the case!!!
are they out of their minds?!?!
a lot of people on here are saying, 'if you dont like it, dont buy it' well dont worry, I wont.
p.s. IMHO a jem w/o a floral or pyramid inlay isn't a jem..
rant complete, misspellings and all :p
D

#331 ·

I haven't read all 17 pages, but I've read thru a few. I don't really have a rant about the Jems or 20th Jem. I could've bought the 20th Jem, but a see-thru plastic guitar isn't for me. Granted it's an anny model, and for that anything goes. Actually, I thought it was pretty cool to do a clear guitar for the anny. That's thinking out of the box, which is what I'd like for Steve and Ibanez to do for the future Jems.

The vine inlay and monkey grap everyone loves, at least Jem lovers love it, and it's essentially what makes a Jem a Jem.

I say go back to the drawing board and re-create what turned the electric guitar world upside down. Disappearing pyramids on the fretboard....awesome. Again, thinking out of the box. Redo the whole thing. Put the monkey grip back on, change the fretboard inlay to something else...something new, something different that hasn't been done before - just like the pyramids hadn't been done before. You've done the vine. You've done the pyramids. Find something new now.

The pickguard shape - it's been untouched all these years. Introduce a new shape and colors. Perhaps make it match in color to the truss rod cover.

Body color - I think everyone will agree a matching headstock looks far better than a regular black headstock on every model regardless of it's color. The Jem line up has had a huge assortment of colors and designs in the past. The colors and designs featured on the Jems back in the late 80's and early 90's were completely different than what everyone else was doing. Again....thinking out of the box. Go back and come up with something new that could be a hit like the swirls were, like the DSY, RFR and LNG were.

Of course, none of this will happen unless Steve wants it to happen. If he's happy with his white Jems and gold hardware for the rest of his life, then that's what Ibanez will produce. Personally, the best Jems out there are the older ones in the 80's and 90's, but then again I like guitars to be different. Something that doesn't scream out, "I'm just a normal guitar."

I don't own a Jem because back then it was way beyond my budget. Now is a different story. If Ibanez were to produce a new Jem, something that is different than all the others before, then I'd shell out $2k. But "different" is the key.

The Jems were different than any other guitar. The color and finish were different than any other guitar. And the man that played them has a style and sound that's completely different than anyone else. The guitar should reflect the man that plays it. I think he's much more than just a white guitar these days. Perhaps one day the guitar will catch up to him.

#332 ·
Pyramids need to come back to the Jem line. New inlays and colors are a welcome idea like Courtney said, just more than black and white. Leave the plain stuff to Gibson and Fender.

IBANEZ = INNOVATION

That has been synonomous for a long time - don't leave it behind but keep it moving forward ;)

#334 ·

Thanks.

Having said all that I've been thinking of some new ideas. Seems to me like Steve has gone organic and clean with his lifestyle, but the thing that brings his life back to the mechanical side is the guitar and amps and such.

Imagine a guitar with a graphic or paint scheme that would blend an organic look to a mechanical look. Personally I like carbon fiber. Maybe have a slight color changing paint over top of carbon fiber. It would be black, but different. Maybe do inlays out of carbon fiber, or a colored fiber that's woven to look like carbon fiber. Maybe throw some details of brushed aluminum here and there...just accents, and have an awesome paint job as the main thing that you see.

Kinda like, the main thing you see is something organic, but the details are all mechanical.

I don't know. I've been trying to think of something to customize my own guitars and aluminum and carbon fiber are pretty high on the list.

#337 ·
I agree with some of the earlier comments. as someone lucky enough to have owned quite a few JEMs on the past (now I only have my 7DBK and 777VDY!) I have seen how in a lot of way the quality and direction has drifted somewhat.

It is often quoted in the catalogues that Steve is quote as saying something along the lines of "I can walk into any music store pickup a JEM and its my sound.."

How untrue is that now? What he plays on stage and uses is now radically different from what is sold in the shops!

I would love to see 777VDY, 777VSK, 77RB and 77PBK reissues with all access neck joints.

Why can't we have fretless 7VWH's modelled on Steve's creation and a PROPER Bad Horsie guitar with the sustainer system? After all these are now staple instruments for Vai, so why should his store sold signature guitars be so very different?

The new 7DBK (minus knobbly finish) with the white TOL inlay is a step in the right direction, but why not more finish options if they can't be bothered to do Vai's fave guitars as signatures. Like natural finish with gold hardware, white, blue, pink, yellow, root beer, swirls etc?

I think for nearly all the suggestions in this thread there is a genuine big market waiting to buy, so come on Steve givse us what you got or at the very least more exciting options!!

#338 ·
It is often quoted in the catalogues that Steve is quote as saying something along the lines of "I can walk into any music store pickup a JEM and its my sound.."
This is more or less true. The only issue would be 'quality drift' among the line. If you've owned a lot of guitars, you realize that some are inexplicably better than others (even of the same model). This is true with Fenders, Gibsons, PRSs, etc. It is also one of the main problems with buying online. If you had two 7VWHs side by side, one might be a better player than the other. Steve feels really comfortable with his current guitars and that is why it is difficult to replace them (no matter how banged up EVO gets)! I don't, however, think that quality is that bad across the Jem line.

How untrue is that now? What he plays on stage and uses is now radically different from what is sold in the shops!
Aside from a sustainer, trem stop, LEDs, triple neck with fretless, how so?

The sustainer cannot be used for licensing reasons. It is made by a rival guitar maker -- not exactly a good move for Ibanez to fully endorse.

The trem stop is no longer made for licensing reasons. Even Steve's is old stock.

LEDs are more of a gimmick. It doesn't affect playability or sound and is a small way for Steve to differentiate himself from others. It is also readily available from 3rd party sources.

The double, triple neck guitars typically do not sell that well. Most artists custom order these. A multi-neck Jem would be very expensive and stock would not move. As for the fretless, without a sustainer it is pretty useless and even with one, it is a very niche product. Not many people are into microtonal guitar. Remember, Ibanez needs to make money, not lose it.

I would love to see 777VDY, 777VSK, 77RB and 77PBK reissues with all access neck joints.
Agreed, but how is this innovative or moving forward? It also would not match what Steve plays live, which is what you said you wanted.

I think for nearly all the suggestions in this thread there is a genuine big market waiting to buy, so come on Steve givse us what you got or at the very least more exciting options!!
I disagree. I don't think the market is THAT big. If you over 15 different Jems, a lot of them wouldn't move and then you would see threads on this site bitching about there being too many Jems and that half of them being too ugly. It's that 'some of the people, all of the time; all of the people, some of the time' thing in full effect.

Remember, Steve is in control of the design of the Jem models and he is a human being. He is also getting older and raising kids. He is changing and his tastes are changing. We are seeing that reflected in the line and by what he mostly plays live (white, black & chrome Jems, and Euphorias). I'm willing to bet something radical is around the corner when he hits his 'mid-life crisis'. ;)

#341 ·
I disagree as do most JEM owners, the 77BRMR thing is a farce. Ita 7DBK with a mirror top it is NOT the bad horsie guitar. And steve does use the sustainer a lot, he nearly lives on it during G3, its part of this GIGGING gear, yet we are not allowed to have the unit only a very poor and over priced imitation.

Over here in the UK we never had the FP with an AANJ, so count yourself lucky, we class it as the unicorn guitar because it never seems to have existed!

The thing is 99% of all other signature guitars ARE what the artist plays, whether its Knopflers, Claptons, BB Kings, Kirk Hammett, Kerry King etc, etc yet Ibanez seem to purposely be giving us much less than what steve has.

Why can't we have a 7VWH fretless? Are they afraid competition from Vigier will be too great? After all Vigier are masters of fretless guitars just as Ibanez are with 7 strings.....

If they won't give us what Steve has they why can't they give us the people who pay their wages what we want from the range?????

And what I like best about the Sustainiac is the pickup sounds goods as a normal pickup!

#343 ·
Before you begin and write an angry reply, my response (although sarcastic) is not written out of anger. I just truly do not understand where you (the group - not you personally) are coming from. Do I like everything Ibanez does? No. Do I like every Jem? Hell no - sorry Steve. Do I whine about it and piss on Ibanez bodies in front of Hoshino headquarters? Huh!? No, I enjoy what I have and wait for what's next. If it is something I like, I will buy it. If not, I won't. If enough people don't, they'll change. Capitalism is not a tough concept.

I disagree as do most JEM owners, the 77BRMR thing is a farce. Ita 7DBK with a mirror top it is NOT the bad horsie guitar. And steve does use the sustainer a lot, he nearly lives on it during G3, its part of this GIGGING gear, yet we are not allowed to have the unit only a very poor and over priced imitation.
All right, never mind. Hate Ibanez because they force you to spend a couple of hundred on your own sustainer. That's great. Maybe you should switch to Fernandes. They come with one. You'll be much happier. As for me, I could give a crap. I consider it an effect and I had a third party install it for me. I care more about looks, tone and playability from Ibanez.

What's the diff between the BH and a BRMR anyway? The BH is only mirrored on the top, right? Is this about the blasted LEDs again? Good grief. Give him that one thing. The Jimmy Page LP doesn't come with a cello bow and a cucumber! You have to buy those yourself.

Over here in the UK we never had the FP with an AANJ, so count yourself lucky, we class it as the unicorn guitar because it never seems to have existed!
Oh, I didn't realize Blair built a bubble around the UK during his tenure. Otherwise you could have called up Rich at IbanezRules and got a steal with the value of your dollar (even factoring in shipping). Sorry about that.

The thing is 99% of all other signature guitars ARE what the artist plays, whether its Knopflers, Claptons, BB Kings, Kirk Hammett, Kerry King etc, etc yet Ibanez seem to purposely be giving us much less than what steve has.
I disagree. You don't think the ones going to the ACTUAL artist are scrutinized more, tweaked here and there, pulled from the best parts? Absolutely. Most artists don't realize theirs is better than standard, but they are. Can you imagine Gibson saying BB King wants another guitar and just grabbing one from a stack? Also, most artists don't have but one or two models. Steve does a lot more. As such, he is always receiving prototypes. He ends up just keeping the proto. After it has been productized, why should he throw it away and get one off the shelf? If you want 'Evo' wait for the $25,000 dollar version.

Why can't we have a 7VWH fretless? Are they afraid competition from Vigier will be too great? After all Vigier are masters of fretless guitars just as Ibanez are with 7 strings.....
First, useless without a sustainer. Second, they'd sell 50 of them.

If they won't give us what Steve has they why can't they give us the people who pay their wages what we want from the range?????
By 'we', are you implying that everyone wants to pay a thousand+ more per guitar to get one 'just like Steves'? Are you saying that Ibanez isn't interested in getting the broadest market at the right price point? They'd be daft to do otherwise for a mass produced guitar.

And what I like best about the Sustainiac is the pickup sounds goods as a normal pickup!
Agreed, sustainiac is a beast. Isn't that better than being force-fed a Fernandes?