Complain to Steve about the JEM/UV LINEUP here (no long winded rants elsewhere) - Jemsite
<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > JEM and Universe Guitars
JEM and Universe Guitars For discussion of Ibanez JEM and Universe guitars only.

Old 01-17-2007, 12:00 PM
(a)
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Complain to Steve about the JEM/UV LINEUP here (no long winded rants elsewhere)

On the eve of the JEM20th announcement, it has become necessary to start a single, organized, contained thread where Ibanez customers of past and present can convey their dissatisfaction of the JEM/UV line to Steve Vai (and indirectly to Ibanez). Some of you are misguided in that you think Ibanez has any control or say over the JEM line, aside from pricing and distribution. They do not.

Here is an estimated breakdown of who controls the Ibanez JEM line. Sure it's slightly exaggerated, but the point it makes should be loud and clear.

99.4% control - Steve Vai
00.5% control - Ibanez (ie. pricing and distribution)
00.1% control - laws of physics & machinery
00.0% control - Ibanez customers and Steve Vai fans

If you wish to voice your negative opinion and displeasure with Steve Vai's signature model JEM guitars please do it here and stop littering topics with repitituous rants and raves. Thanks... glen

PS - DO NOT INFILTRATE THIS THREAD WITH JEM20 CRITIQUES AND COMMENTS. THIS IS FOR CONCERNS AND SUGGESTIONS ONLY.

Last edited by jemsite; 01-17-2007 at 12:51 PM..
Old 01-17-2007, 12:07 PM
S-man
This message has been deleted by jemsite. Reason: post comments in the 20th thread(s)
Old 01-17-2007, 12:10 PM
jb4674
This message has been deleted by jemsite. Reason: inappropriate slurs in post
Old 01-17-2007, 12:14 PM

Re: Complain to Steve about the JEM/UV here (no long winded rants elsewhere)

I seriously doubt that Steve has as much control as you indicate.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:17 PM
(a)

Reviews: 18

Summon Mikey to this thread and lets get the story straight. According to Steve's original comments from back in the day, he wanted to make the guitar affordable to the musician, the price is a bit much IMO.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:18 PM
MattyB
This message has been deleted by jemsite. Reason: post comments in the 20th thread(s)
Old 01-17-2007, 12:19 PM
crevis
Old 01-17-2007, 12:23 PM
voodoo_child
This message has been deleted by jemsite. Reason: i can see suspension coming from this thread. LOL.

Old 01-17-2007, 12:24 PM

My rule...

Don't like it?

Don't buy it.

It's that simple...

Countless companies have been made and broken by products they have launched all due to the foresight or lack thereof on their part.

However, I doubt this will ever happen. Regardless of how it looks, sounds, plays, people are going to pounce on this. Same thing goes for the 20K blackie or the "new" frakenstrat FMIC is going to release.

I admit, looking at the pictures I cannot but feel dissapointment. However I won't be quick to make a judgement since this guitar has not been physically unveiled at NAMM...I suggest those who have passed such judgements pause to think about it before they post any negativities.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:25 PM
jb4674
Old 01-17-2007, 12:27 PM
(a)

Well in my personal opinion, I think the guitars are priced to high for what they are, but I don't think sales are hurting. However I think all JEM models should be alder as that is what Steve seems to prefer.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:28 PM
S-man
Old 01-17-2007, 12:31 PM
(a)

Reviews: 3

Reality check start...

I think too many people give Ibanez too much influence here. Vai can do what he wishes with the Jem line. Ibanez isn't going to boss him around when it comes to the Jems, if they did, he would just bail on them and go to someone else. Ibanez may give him some insight as to what is possible and not possible, but anyone who thinks Ibanez controls the Jem line is not thinking straight. Ibanez controls the pricing, and they are going after the collector's market, just like EVERY other guitar manufacturer. I think we had this same debate about pricing when the JS2s were introduced. Everyone thought that the price was way too high. But Ibanez was right in limiting the guitar and the price point. Example: try to find one now and get it for what you could have gotten one from a dealer for.

The long and short of it is if you don't like the guitar, don't buy it. I don't like certain guitars, and I don't complain about them, nor do I buy them. If anyone here actually thinks for one minute that Ibanez or Vai "care" what we want or what our opinion is about the Jem20th (or any other guitar for that matter), you need to get a serious reality check. And please refrain from the "but they rereleased the 550's because we wanted them" responses: it is a marketing ploy and a chance to tap into the used 550 market, where Ibanez doesn't make any money.

Reality check complete...

Josh
Old 01-17-2007, 12:35 PM
(a)
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfergel View Post
I seriously doubt that Steve has as much control as you indicate.
start a new thread then and title it...

I DON'T KNOW REALLY WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT... JOIN IN!

....glen
Old 01-17-2007, 12:38 PM
(a)

Reviews: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post

....glen
Old 01-17-2007, 12:40 PM

LOLOLOLOLOL!
Old 01-17-2007, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-man View Post
Ok...I think alot of people can safely say the PICTURE of the JEM on the AMS looks kinda ugly, if nothing else.

Hopefully it's just the white background in that pic that makes it look that way.

We shall see soon enough.
Most of them will probably be gone before namm pictures are out anyway so alot of people waiting for them could be left out. I dont know why they release such horrible stock photos.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:52 PM

OK. Having had time to think about this, I came to the conclusion that I probably made some rash statements I shouldn't have. I can't afford this guitar, and actually I don't like the look of it, so I shouldn't be so concerned about it. For those of you who buy it, I hope it brings you many years of enjoyment. However, my point was, and always has been, that I think Ibanez are making some bad moves and appear to be ignoring the requests of a large portion of it's user base. BUT... I won't get back into this right here, I understand that this thread is about the JEM 20th and how we feel about it. Thanks, Glen, for starting this thread.

If Steve Vai ever reads this, and somehow I doubt he will but I'll voice my feeling anyway, I'd just like him to know that it's sad how things have turned out. The JEM has gone from being the most interesting, eye-catching guitar on the planet to being the exact opposite. Sure, things change, fashions change, etc., etc., but certain things that make up a classic formula should not be messed with. It's happened to the JEM and also the RG. These have become quite bland, to say the least. Can the JEM range ever be as good as it was in 1994? I just don't see this happening, but I feel it should be even better by now. I'd just like to say it would be great if we could get Ibanez back on track and re-light the fire. I'd also like to echo what jb4674 said regarding Steve wanting to make these guitars affordable to the musician. It isn't really very affordable. Prices may not seem to be so bad in the USA, I think you guys have got it good and should appreciate that, but beyond the USA the prices are crazy. The best example I can think of right now is the RG 20th; in the USA it's $899. That's a good price. In the UK, the same guitar is &#163;849 which is the equivalent of almost $1700. So basically, the RG550, which was originally created to be an affordable, stripped-down version of the JEM is quite out of reach for many of us. Apart from that, it will be very difficult for many of us to even get hold of one. I always wanted a JEM. After 20 years I still can't afford one, but I am trying my hardest to come up with the money for an RG 20th.

Please -- let's get Ibanez back onto the right track and inject some life back into the range. Let's also not forget about how you set out to make great instruments available to the musician at affordable prices. That's pretty much it. Good day.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:53 PM

Question:

How many of those who find the guitar ugly actually have 7k in their pockets, and would actually have bought a 20th if they liked the design? I'm sure very, very few of the "ranters" are in that group, the rest...useless internet time! Why would I complain Ferrari doesn't make swirled cars, if I only drive a Toyota?

What I think is a valid complain is the absence of a sustainer in the Jem line, which obviosly breaks the "play what the artist plays" rule. I know the reason for this, but it's not for me to say.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:58 PM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post

....glen

Whoa!!!

Lol....Glen Start this thread telling people to voice their opinions and complaints HERE to avoid filling other threads with whiney rants.

And then when they do, you tell them to start a different thread

BTW - my only complaint is that I can't afford a 20th

So.....PRICING!!! Average everyday musicians are supposed to be able to afford Jems......right?? I'm not sure about the VBK, it may grow on me and at least it's METAL!! But they could've done better. Something other than BLACK!

Last edited by JJEMMER777; 01-17-2007 at 01:32 PM..
Old 01-17-2007, 01:02 PM

Re: Complain to Steve about the JEM/UV LINEUP here (no long winded rants elsewhere)

sorry.....whats this thread about?
Old 01-17-2007, 01:02 PM

Re: Complain to Steve about the JEM/UV LINEUP here (no long winded rants elsewhere)

I think they should have a wider variety of models available.

And why on earth did they discontinue the floral JEM?

Myst

Tags
aaa maple , abalone inlays , access neck joint , acoustic guitar , acrylic guitar , alder body , basswood body , basswood guitar , basswood guitars , billy sheehan , black headstock , body shape , buzz feiten , buzz feiten system , buzz feiten tuning system , chrome hardware , chrome jem , clear coat , crystal planet , custom shop , custom shop guitar , dave weiner , dbk jem , death metal , dimarzio paf , dimarzio paf pro , double edge trem , ebony board , ebony boards , ebony finger board , ebony fret board , ebony fretboard , ebony fretboards , edge bridge , edge pros , edge trem , edge trems , electric guitar , equipped guitar , eric clapton , eric johnson , eric johnson strat , ernie ball , evo pickups , evolution pickups , feiten system , feiten tuning system , fender custom shop , fender strat , fender stratocaster , fernandes sustainer , finger board , fingerboard wood , fixed bridge , flame maple , floyd rose , frank gambale , fret board , fretboard wood , fretless guitar , george benson , gibson les paul , guitar players , guitar playing , guitar tech , heavy metal , herc fede , horsie jem , ibanez dealer , ibanez edge trem , ibanez guitars , ibanez jem , ibanez models , ibanez neck , jack socket , jackson soloist , jem custom , jem neck , jimmy page , joe satriani , john petrucci , john scofield , kerry king , kirk hammet , kirk hammett , led inlays , les paul , les paul custom , les pauls , local music store , locking nut , locking nuts , locking stud , locking stud mod , locking studs , maple fret , maple fretboard , monkey grip , music store , neck evo , neck joint , neck joints , neck pickup , neck pickups , paf joe , paf pro , paul gilbert , pearloid pickguard , petrucci model , pro edge , production model , pyramid inlay , pyramid inlays , quilted maple , randy rhoads , recessed trem , reversed headstock , road flare red , root beer jem , rosewood board , rosewood boards , sam ash , sharktooth inlay , sharktooth inlays , signature guitar , signature strat , sounding guitar , srv strat , stainless steel frets , standard jem , steel frets , steve stevens , steve vai , string guitars , super strat , swirl jem , swirled jem , triple neck , truss rod , truss rod cover , tuning system , vwh paint

Show/Hide Posting Rules