<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > JEM and Universe Guitars

JEM and Universe Guitars For discussion of Ibanez JEM and Universe guitars only.

Old 03-22-2005, 11:36 AM

Custom JEM vs Production JEM

Hey everyone,
Recently I've been swamped with requests to build JEM guitars. Many of these requests are for replica's of existing JEM's.

To build a JEM is more expensive than to just buy a production guitar. I can't build a guitar and sell it for what Ibanez can, it's just not possible, not if I ever expect to pay any bills.

When considering a custom JEM vs a production, the benefits are:

1. You get a one off JEM to YOUR specs, something that's never been done before

2. You can choose your hardware and pickups, maybe a fixed bridge instead?

3. You get whatever color you want, inlay, woods etc.

4. Fit and finish is better than a production guitar

HOWEVER, if you are emailing in hopes of getting a JEM7VWH for less than you can find one on **** it's not going to happen. Also, I can't legally cut the Ibanez headstock shape, some people get annoyed when I tell them that. Well, I'd rather lose a sale to that than have Ibanez nail me for copying their headstock.

Anyway, I wanted to post here so the info was out there. Buying a custom guitar is more money, the end results are more than worth it IMO, but please don't expect ANY small custom shop to be able to compete with the prices of a mass produced guitar.

Thanks
Jeremy
LGM Guitars
Old 03-22-2005, 12:28 PM

Re: Custom JEM vs Production JEM

There are some most excellent custom guitars out there, the problem is I cannot afford them.

But if you have the money and want a real nice guitar taylored to you needs, customs are great. I so want to design a guitar shaped like a lightning bolt!

But it is understandable that one would have to pay significantly more for roughly the same guitar - you don't have the man power or machinery to make it for the same cost.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:31 PM

I thought that I'd take the chance to explain why I'm having the LNG replica built. First of all, I didn't realize, at the time, how often they're actually up for sale. Then there's the fact that the were a limited edition, and signed by Vai. I knew that if I were to spend the money on a "real" one, that I'd never play it, for those last two reasons alone! . I'd much rather pay more for something that I'll use, than to pay anything for something that would sit in it's case.

Sure I'm paying more to have one built, but that's to be expected. People are actually complaining about your prices? I don't know if I should just roll my eyes, or laugh! How in the heck could anyone think that a custom job would be in any way comparable to a production model?
Old 03-30-2005, 12:45 PM

Let me first state that I think Jeremys prices are fair, and the pics of his work show the great work he does. The inlay work is just incredible.

Nontheless, while it is true that you probably wont be able to get a custom guitar made in North America or Europe for the same price as a production guitar, you certainly can get a custom guitar made for the same or less than a production guitar if you are willing to order from other countries. Mexico, South America and probably some other places (eastern Europe, Russia) may be able to offer cutsom made guitars for vey low prices.

As an example, Mexico and Brazil have very low labour costs, and they are the source of a lot of beautifull and fine exotic woods (that can be found for very low prices in those countries). So this allows for a very low price. I know amazing luthiers here in Mexico, and Im sure there must be very good luthiers in Brazil aswell. Argentina also has very low labour costs and has some very experimented Luthiers (particularly when you are talking about classical guitars).

Now, the problem is that you cant be certain about the quality of the work, or about the final product. You may find yourself dealing with someone who (even though he may actually be the finest luthier on earth) you have no feedback about. As there are great luthiers, there also are lame Luthiers. So the problem is, how can you tell? If you dont have several sources of positive feedback, you are taking your chances.

The other problem is that, you will probably pay more for the guitar than a local customer. Most of this Luthiers are aware of the international cost that any of this guitars has, and though they will probably charge a lot less, they will still charge you more than they would charge a local customer.

Having said all these, I would never order a replica from a Luthier. There are amazing designs to be created, and great Luthiers can make those ideas come true. Not only you will end up with a one of a kind guitar, but you are also creating something new, that may inspire other people to do the same. In my personal expierience, Luthiers trend to put more love and care when they actually fall in love the project. They get involved in it, and it shows.

So, weather you choose and can afford to play it safe, or weather you choose to take your chances and order from other country, I will always suggest to make something unique.

Last edited by RCB; 03-30-2005 at 02:10 PM.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:57 PM

I just thought i would shoot in here as i had jeremy make me a custom rg awile back.

It was infact less in price than a standard jem in the u.k by a good bit coz i chose not to have inlays and the like (i love blank ebony boards).

Its one of the best instruments ive ever played, the quality is great, the tone is fantastic and the finish and overall look is even better than what i had in my head. I cant describe how well made the neck is, i asked for a slice of flame maple for it and he got the best piece ive ever seen used in a neck in terms of consistancy of pattern and the fretwork is stunning.

The point of this post realy is to say that jeremy has fantastic prices for what you get, you want quality and your specks go with him he will do it and is a pure perfectionist which is exacly what you want for the guy building instruments for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 233720657xxGfEY_ph.jpg (30.7 KB, 1506 views)
Old 03-30-2005, 07:20 PM

Ok, I'm sure this has been discussed before,,,but I can understand not being able to make the Ibanez style headstock. So why is ok to make the body? The jem is a very character specific body? How can that be made by anyone?

Hey Jeremy,,,, do you offer different style headstocks?

~A
Old 03-31-2005, 12:05 AM

Allen,
The ibanez headstock is a trademarked design, like the fender headstock. Basically, it's not legal to build the RG body shape either, but it's less of a thorn in Ibanez's side than headstock shapes. Their concern of course is fraud guitars.
From a business point of view as well, I don't particularly want to build replica guitars, if I'm going to build a kickass guitar for somebody, I want it to be known as an LGM custom. I use the Leviathan headstock, it's still pointy, and to me, looks even better :P
Old 04-27-2005, 02:09 PM

Another important benefit of getting a Jem done by Jeremy is that you will not hear the sentence "I don't do left handed" .

With Ibanez it's the basic answer everytime.

Regards

André
Old 04-27-2005, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fettouhi
With Ibanez it's the basic answer everytime.
Ibanez answers?
Old 05-12-2005, 01:32 PM

If only I had the money...
Old 05-17-2005, 06:43 PM

with the increasing prices of jem's lately, I'd rather kick in a little extra and get myself a custom, the next time I decide to buy one....
BTW... anyone know if I can get a piezo on a 7 string ? Or a 7 string sustainer mic ?
Old 05-18-2005, 10:57 PM

Anyone know how long it usually takes to hear back from Jeremy? I sent in a request about a custom jem i am looking to have made to see if he was interested in doing it, and haven't heard anything, one way or the other yet. That was close to 2 weeks ago, and i'm curious if it normally takes this long to get a reply.
peace
Old 05-19-2005, 12:22 AM

Reviews: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom's door
Anyone know how long it usually takes to hear back from Jeremy? I sent in a request about a custom jem i am looking to have made to see if he was interested in doing it, and haven't heard anything, one way or the other yet. That was close to 2 weeks ago, and i'm curious if it normally takes this long to get a reply.
peace
Unfortunately, Jeremy an inverse relationship between talent and time. The more people who recognize his ability, the longer it takes for him to get to them. I've been waiting quite awhile for my guitar to be finished, and he's just burdened down with work. So he can be slow to get to the emails.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:44 AM

That's great and all, but I emailed him like a month ago and heard nothing back. I can understand that the man is busy, but a month is a really long time to not hear anything back when all I wanted was an estimate.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:54 AM

Anybody know how much it cost to get a custom guitar from jeremy? Just an estimate. New body, neck, matching headstock, nothing to fancy for the wood or paint and somewhat custom inlay? I know I can try to piece it all together from his website or bother him with emails, but I just thought I might see what a few other people's cost.

Show/Hide Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Custom Jem build might be going into full production jsdisciple JEM and Universe Guitars 22 06-24-2011 03:22 AM
NGDish Charvel Custom Production CosmicDebris Other 6-string Guitars (non-Ibanez brand) 21 02-20-2011 11:10 AM
Old Vs New production rufes JEM and Universe Guitars 18 09-24-2007 05:17 PM
Production Numbers For USA Custom Guitars seaninsjca J-Custom, USA Custom & Prestige Ibanez Guitars 6 05-22-2007 08:41 PM
Pre-Production vs. Production USA Customs TAorama J-Custom, USA Custom & Prestige Ibanez Guitars 14 05-13-2003 02:33 PM

Sitemap:1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29