Evo set in a Jem Jr ? - Jemsite
<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > JEM and Universe Guitars
JEM and Universe Guitars For discussion of Ibanez JEM and Universe guitars only.

Old 11-18-2015, 06:27 AM

Evo set in a Jem Jr ?

GC has a steal on the Evolution set, $165, and I just got a Jem Jr, and although the stock Quantum pups are OK, they don't have the depth that I'd like for recording...I think the difference in bodies is Mahogany in the Jr and Basswood in the Jem. I've found one review and the guy said they don't quite work. Any advice ? I had a RG450 a few years back that I loaded w/Seymours jb/hot rails/jazz, and that was decent but also just didn't seem kosher. thx for any advice.
Old 11-18-2015, 11:10 AM

Re: Evo set in a Jem Jr ?

The EVO's are very likely to be fine regardless of body differences. The "real" jems that use them are made of Alder. The premium 70v is basswood. People put them in mahogany all the time, like Herman Li and his S series before he got his own signature.
RG920 Premium
Jem7V-WH
Marshall Haze 15
Old 11-18-2015, 11:17 PM

ok, I'll take your advice and report back...thx for the reply.
Old 11-19-2015, 02:18 AM

I'm curious to hear the results.

I find the Evo's to be a bit harsh and lacking in the low end (in my 7V), I've got an Ibanez SZ that's a mahogany body and I've often thought of putting Evo's in that because the guitar is naturally a little bottom heavy.

I'd almost think that they'd be perfectly suited for a mahogany bodied guitar, as a way of creating a nice balance.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:28 AM

The Evo neck pickup is generally quite warm though. I have two Evo bridges in my 7V atm, trying to decide what I might want to do with the neck one I have. Generally the bridge position seems like its designed to stick out "in the mix", but descent EQ and presence settings can even that out. None of my amps are especially bright though.
RG920 Premium
Jem7V-WH
Marshall Haze 15
Old 11-19-2015, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkspade View Post
The EVO's are very likely to be fine regardless of body differences. The "real" jems that use them are made of Alder. The premium 70v is basswood. People put them in mahogany all the time, like Herman Li and his S series before he got his own signature.
My set was originally in a basswood RG350EXZ, then I moved them into a Mahogany body RGR580. Best decision I ever made.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
My set was originally in a basswood RG350EXZ, then I moved them into a Mahogany body RGR580. Best decision I ever made.
thanks for your reply.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minehead View Post
thanks for your reply.
I didn't hate the Evos in basswood, they just require more tweaking of the eq on your amp/effects to not sound shrill and have too much Mid-high and not enough bottom end (something I wasn't able to figure out at the time as a n00b). The reason I say it was the best decision I ever made is because the mahogany does calm the tone of the pups to an extent, but I play with a lot of mids anyway so my specific rig setup works fine for em.

Also helps that the RGR580 is a sweet guitar with the reverse headstock so it look more "metal"
Old 11-21-2015, 05:00 PM

I'm also looking at the D-Activator's, I like the reviews I've read...since the local GC has the Evo set, I can reurn them without too much trouble. If I order the D's and I'm too happy, I'm gonna be stuck with no pups for a week at least...the local GC doesn't carry much of anything, but they "can order it for you !", well hell, I can do that and save state sales tax. I've also considered the EMG 81/85 or Seymour Blackouts...so many choices...I wish these damn guitar manufacturers would either stop putting crap pups in their gtrs, or offer an upgraded version of the models. Anyway, thanks for your advice, I will definitely keep it in mind.
Old 05-27-2016, 03:47 PM

I put Evo's in my Jem Jr. Sounds great to me!

Tags
evolution , jem , jem jr , pick-ups , quantum

Show/Hide Posting Rules