Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Got a Jem70SFG

3K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  PBGas 
#1 ·
I thought I would like the SFG a lot more from the pics I'd seen of it but now, having played it and looked it over most of the day I have to say I'm kind of disappointed in it. Honestly, I'm thinking of returning it and holding out for a reasonably priced 7VWH to come along.

Anyone else feel the same about the SFG or am I losing it in my old age? :confused:

#3 ·
Same Here-

I think it looks nice and the hardware is good.
Mine has the problem where the neck is set too low in the body.
I need to angle the neck towards the body to get the st up correct.
If I do that the bridge will need to go lower.
The bridge is already a touch lower than the pickguard.
If I go any lower the rtem will bottom out in the body and I won't be able to pull up on the bar.
What I really need to do is take the neck off and shim the whole thing up to get a good setup.
I knew this was no MIJ when I bought it.
I have four Indo Ibanez guitars and the best playing one of them is my RG350MYE.
The JEM70V is the worst of them.

#5 ·
I have an Indo S570DXQM in the brilliant blue burst finish and it plays great. The only problem with it is that the fret edges are a little sloppy and you could feel them when moving up and down the neck. Some taping up and very light filing took care of that. Now it's great.

The frets on it are actually done very well and the inlay doesn't look terrible either but I think it needs pretty much the same thing as many others on here have done. I think the neck needs shimmed to get the action lower because I have the bridge down as low as it can go without hitting the body and it's still a little high.

I don't hate it, but there's certainly some work that needs to be done before I can pass my final judgement. (a shim in the neck pocket perhaps) I'm sure I'll get flamed big time for this but my EBMM JP6 is still my favorite guitar.

#18 ·
Whoa... That pretty expensive.... You can get them here in Adelaide for $1550. I actually saw them for $1100 or $1200 when they first came out. I'm thinking about grabbing one... I'm not really into Jems anymore but I kind of like the look of this one. IMO, its the best looking Jem in years.

#15 ·
After having the Jem for a few days now it has started to grow on me. I'm almost 100% sure I'm keeping it now and will just have my local repair shop shim the neck a bit. The dude is a miracle worker when it comes to guitar setup/repair. He repaired a broken headstock on my old RG770 not once, not twice, but three times! (don't ask) So I guess you could say the more I play it, the more I like it.

Thanks for all the input folks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.