<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > JEM and Universe Guitars

JEM and Universe Guitars For discussion of Ibanez JEM and Universe guitars only.

Old 12-16-2012, 03:57 AM
(a)

Reviews: 25

Re: Guys, what is this??

one of a kind items with no documentation, will be hard to sell for a high price, with just the owners say so.. The next person trying to sell it will be twice removed from the story, and eventually saying it came from a guy who got it from a guy who got it from a guy that maybe got it from some ibanez workers will loose its power.. Id pay for it as much as the neck is worth alone..
Old 12-16-2012, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezFreak777 View Post
one of a kind items with no documentation, will be hard to sell for a high price, with just the owners say so.. The next person trying to sell it will be twice removed from the story, and eventually saying it came from a guy who got it from a guy who got it from a guy that maybe got it from some ibanez workers will loose its power.. Id pay for it as much as the neck is worth alone..
Or, whomever tries to sell it on next, just recycles the same story and says it was their friend at Ibanez. Which, for all anyone knows, is exactly what the guy selling it now is doing. True story or not, there's no way of knowing whether it's first hand in this case either.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:56 AM

Reviews: 1

I like it, I think a WFP (White floral pattern) would have been better than the FP2...

and I'll have it with the peppercorn sauce please
Old 12-16-2012, 05:30 AM
(a)

Reviews: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by invisible_kid_ View Post
Or, whomever tries to sell it on next, just recycles the same story and says it was their friend at Ibanez. Which, for all anyone knows, is exactly what the guy selling it now is doing. True story or not, there's no way of knowing whether it's first hand in this case either.
Considering someone will be deciding to buy a so called prototype for a lot of money, I think a quick Google search should find them to this thread easily and they can find out that its not a first hand story !!
Old 12-16-2012, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezFreak777 View Post
Considering someone will be deciding to buy a so called prototype for a lot of money, I think a quick Google search should find them to this thread easily and they can find out that its not a first hand story !!
Yeah, I totally agree- next time it's sold. This time though, no way of telling whether the story is firsthand/not or true/not, because as you said, no certification of authenticity or other evidence. I think my point was more that where you said after a resale or whatever the story would lose its power, in my mind it doesn't really have any power to begin with.

And let's not give everyone on the internet too much credit when it comes to researching their purchases :P Not everyone is as on the ball as us jemsiters!
Old 12-16-2012, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invisible_kid_ View Post
And let's not give everyone on the internet too much credit when it comes to researching their purchases :P Not everyone is as on the ball as us jemsiters!
If you have a computer to buy it off ebay, you have a computer to google around to try and find what it is... If someone has the facility to do so, but choses not to (or neglects to) research a one off, I can't help but feel that those folks would be getting just what they deserve!
Old 12-16-2012, 09:49 AM
(a)

Finding an FP neck and 87 neck plate would be difficult but not impossible. Rifinishing a body with a fabric top wouldn't be that hard, but finding the correct FP fabric would be next to impossible. For that reason alone, I'd say the guitar is exactly what the seller says it is.

Steve has lots of odd prototypes that were not Jems that were used to test color and layout options. He also likes to give guitars away. No reason to believe this guitar is anything other than one of those.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:28 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibz_SA View Post
proof rich do you have anything to back up your statement.
I don't need to prove anything

I've handled enough of these to know an employee guitar when I see it.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:39 AM

Reviews: 11

This guitar was assembled in the USA by a Hoshino employee, who used a body prototype for the JEM. The color of the body was rejected by Steve Vai (or so the story goes). The neck is floral/vine inlay (JEM style Ibanez). I purchased it from a Hoshino USA employee back around 1990, and used it on tour, and in the studio.

- this is a message from the seller when I asked what the story was.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
If you have a computer to buy it off ebay, you have a computer to google around to try and find what it is... If someone has the facility to do so, but choses not to (or neglects to) research a one off, I can't help but feel that those folks would be getting just what they deserve!
You need some knowledge to separate good info from bad info. I can use Google and find "proof" of Vai's name being Saul Via, his guitar is an Ibenez Gem, based on the Ibenez RG design... The list won't end, ever.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:51 PM

Reviews: 2

Here we say " What a soup" but this is a sauce i guess
Old 12-16-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Euphor View Post
You need some knowledge to separate good info from bad info. I can use Google and find "proof" of Vai's name being Saul Via, his guitar is an Ibenez Gem, based on the Ibenez RG design... The list won't end, ever.
and a man with priorities so far out of whack doesn't deserve such a fine automobile!
Old 12-16-2012, 05:32 PM

fugly! i don't want it! terrible guitar!
Old 12-16-2012, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I don't need to prove anything

I've handled enough of these to know an employee guitar when I see it.
if your not willing to prove what you say and state facts with reasonable proof why post stuff?

Do you honestly believe your word on the internet is the word of god and you do not have to post reasonable proof to what you say?
Old 12-16-2012, 09:18 PM
Vendor

Maybe I should have posted some sauce instead?

I'M NOT SELLING IT!!! I could care less if you believe it or not. And furthermore there will never be any "proof" about any guitar like this, there will only be an experts opinion. I've rendered my opinion, IMO it's an employee guitar based on a sample body, the seller replied basically the same thing. If you need more then this guitar isn't for you, obviously.....

Tags
floral pattern, jem, prototype

Show/Hide Posting Rules