Ibanez JEM Forum banner

have you seen this fretboard made for steve vai

5K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  MicJustMic 
#1 ·
look about 7 mins in.

never seen this before until a couple days ago. really intresting.

i wish i could play one to see how it is. probably another 6 thousand dollar guitar.

Jay

#9 ·
FWIW, I don't think SSV uses TT necks anymore. At least not on his named guitars... he may have one lying around in the harmony hut. Ibanez posted a pic of Evo, FloIII and pogo (or whatever his mirrored one he tours with is... the one with the lights, breeds and sustainer, he plays Building the church with it). Non of those had TT, and there were no TT frets in the "where the wild things are" live DVD.

Don't quote me, but I think he the necks around 2006.

#12 ·
Yeah not sure he stuck with them, I'd definitely love to try them out but it's $1000 for a TT fret job. Mattias Eklundh uses them too by the way. Normal frets really bug me with the intonation problems but I've also heard the precise tuning can have the same effect and take some getting used to.

#13 ·
The human ear doesn't like perfect intonation. It's harder for us to discern the individual notes when played in harmony if the intonation is perfect.

While excessive dissonance is displeasing to the ear, sounding messy, perfect harmony sounds harsh.

That's why pianos are 'stretched' tuned, not perfectly tuned.

Well, that and the inherent imperfections of how a string vibrates and produces overtones.

#15 ·
When I say 'perfect', I mean 'absolute'.

If you're tuning say, your piano, with a strobe tuner, and you tune 'perfectly', it's never going to be perfect. Subtle differences due to the way metal strings, wood, etc. vibrate.

If you play two 'perfect' fundamental notes together they sound very harsh.

I'm not saying that warbling sound you hear when out of tune is more pleasant, I'm saying if you have them 'absolutely perfectly' tuned, it'll sound harsh.

Fortunately, outside of digital music, you'll never have true 'perfect' intonation, doesn't matter the instrument.

But that being said, even digital instruments take this into account and aren't 'perfect'.

With something like a piano though, because of imperfections inherent to the materials, if you try to tune equal temperament it seems to enhance the imperfections, making them more noticeable and much more displeasing to the ear. The same goes for most instruments, but to a lesser degree in some cases.

So let me rephrase my original statement...

'Absolute perfect' tuning can sound harsh to the human ear, 'near perfect' tuning can enhance the unavoidable imperfections in the harmonics and instruments are often tuned with deliberate variances in intonation to, in effect, mask these imperfections.

Make more sense now? ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.