<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > JEM and Universe Guitars

JEM and Universe Guitars For discussion of Ibanez JEM and Universe guitars only.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:58 AM

HELP!!! Jem 70V

Hi

Hope someone can help, I have just bought a jem 70V and i am not very happy with the way it plays. Sound and looks are perfect but the action is higher than expected and i can barely pull the note up 1.5 tones without the strings hitting the frets and killing the note. i cannot pull the trem at all when playing notes on the 20th fret and above. I have adjusted the trem angle to resolve this but the action makes it impossible to play.

i took the guitar into the shop yesterday and was advised that there is nothing they can do. I explained that the purpose of me buying this guitar is so that i can play Steve vai material and was advised that i will need to sit with their guitar tech and explain what i want the guitar to do and he will go about getting it done, i was advised its going to need a strip down and fret re-dress.

They will do this for free which is fantastic customer services but is this something i should need to do, is it a manufacturing default? should the Jem not play as per Steve Vai specs straight from the factory?

I do not want to get the frets re-dressed if it is going to alter other aspects in a negative way.

Should i go with it and risk negative consequences Thus rendering my warranty invalid or send the guitar back and start again?

Thanks.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:33 AM

Reviews: 2

Re: HELP!!! Jem 70V

Welcome to Jemsite. Seems like some JEM70v's need some work as far a neck shim in order to sit right combined with trem to get a low action etc. But not sure why your new guitar would need a fretdress?are the frets worn? or do you mean they are not leveled equal?. Then a fretlevel is what you mean?. There's quite a few experienced players in here that bought the 70v and they could give you more specific things to look for in the setup of your jem.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:57 AM

Hi Maqify,

Thanks for your reply. They have basically told me that if i sit down with their guitar tech and talk to him about what specs i need and what i want to do with the guitar he will get to work. The fretdress will involve stoning the frets down and then refiling them to shape to prevent contact when pulling the trem, at the same time they will kep the action in check.

I dont mind them doing this but like i say my main concern is that it is likely to effect the warranty and my jumbo frets will be filed down. if doing this has minimal/negative effect i will not be able to send the guitar back because i have made changes. saying that, the shop have offered to do this and it is the same shop i bought it from.

Basically i have bought the jem because i play Vai and Satch material in pubs so i need the guitar to do these things. im sure Vai's specs differ from that of a factory jem. either way, id certainly not expect my £300 RG350 to out-perform a jem as far as action and trem range.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:34 AM

If the shop will perform the setup,would they not also be covered in the warranty. I mean they will give you a warranty, but as far as sending back the guitar to Ibanez i am not sure. But after the setup it shouldn't be necessary. Well the frets can't be a factor to why the guitar is fretting out, it must be the level of the neck in relation to the trem hight/angle. I have not heard anything about bad frets in the Premium line. So if the guitar tech is good with Ibanez guitars he should be able to adjust everything so the guitar plays nice. A Ibanez RG...let's say 550/570/750 is as good as a Premium Jem. They were built for the profesional musician and to last. As far as specs goes from let's say a Japan made Jem7vh and Steve Vai's Jem i don't think it's more then the setup being to Vai's prefrence. Or at least not so much more, might be a fretlevel. That said the Jem's sent to Mr.Vai will be under scrutiny and and he will take the ones he thinks feels best.

Last edited by maqify; 12-08-2012 at 07:24 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:46 AM

i would return it and get another one.

If you have already checked the neck and or made truss rod adjustments and that does't solve your action/ freting out then simply return it. The shop probably would void the Ibanez warrenty if they did anything to the guitar unless they are an Ibanez authorized repair shop.

Necks can shift/bow with weather changes, like humidity or heat/cold . If you in fact havn't looked down the neck to make sure you dont need any adjustments then that may be your problem. If it needs shimms or something like that, then it is the factory's fault and should be exchanged/under warrenty.

Best of luck either way.

In the end guitars are all just some wood and strings. We may know how to make guitars but wood can bow, warp, or twist. It doesn't really matter what kind of guitar it is. It isn't a knock against quality control. I expect there to be an issue every now and then. As long as there isn't a pattern of sub-par quality guitars.

Last edited by j.arledge; 12-04-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1kenufc View Post
Basically i have bought the jem because i play Vai and Satch material in pubs
Awesome!
Old 12-04-2012, 01:30 PM

Every Indonesian Ibanez I bought has needed fret work and they were all new guitars too.
Ibanez is cutting corners by doing as little as possible on fret work as far as I can tell.
I'd get the frets fixed by the shop and the setup.
This will make the guitar play better than any of the 70V guitars they would give you as a replacement.
Once this work is done, it will play as good a a MIJ JEM.
Keep this guitar and get the work done to it, there is no down side to this.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian View Post
Every Indonesian Ibanez I bought has needed fret work and they were all new guitars too.
Ibanez is cutting corners by doing as little as possible on fret work as far as I can tell.
I'd get the frets fixed by the shop and the setup.
This will make the guitar play better than any of the 70V guitars they would give you as a replacement.
Once this work is done, it will play as good a a MIJ JEM.
Keep this guitar and get the work done to it, there is no down side to this.
So the frets have been bad? In what way? sharp edges or different hight?
I really diden't know that, as i have read that they did smooth the edges out on the Premiums?.

Last edited by maqify; 12-08-2012 at 07:25 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:49 PM

Reviews: 11

Any new jem7vwh or other new jems/uv's I've played haven't been setup great.
Indo guitar = indo price = indo quality
Old 12-04-2012, 05:00 PM

thanks to everyone for your replies. i have done a little bit of tweaking ang managed to get the trem performing how i need it but the action is unplayable, Here are some measurements.

5th fret - 2mm
12th - 3mm
and then 4mm thereafter

these measurements are taken from the top of each fret, not the neck. As you can imagine, this is a problem.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:44 PM

The edges of the frets are fine, they just need to be leveled better.
There is way too much buzzing when you get the action where you want it.

It's like Ibanez didn't finish what they started.

Last edited by sebastian; 12-04-2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian View Post
The edges of the frets are fine, they just need to be leveled better.
There is way too much buzzing when you get the action where you want it.
Aha ok i see. Good to know.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:49 AM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1kenufc View Post
thanks to everyone for your replies. i have done a little bit of tweaking ang managed to get the trem performing how i need it but the action is unplayable, Here are some measurements.

5th fret - 2mm
12th - 3mm
and then 4mm thereafter

these measurements are taken from the top of each fret, not the neck. As you can imagine, this is a problem.
You need to shim the neck............

Old 12-05-2012, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
You need to shim the neck............

if you are dead set on keeping it then yes it does sound like you need a shim in the neck pocket. I usually just cut up a coke can to make shims. You can fold or stack to make it the right thickness and it is easy to cut.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:45 AM

have you checked the locking studs that prevent lowering the bridge?
if your frets are okay and all you need is lowering the trem, you should check this first.

Tags
fret, ibanez jem 70v, steve vai, trem

Show/Hide Posting Rules